Princess Visa card OBC question

oldfashioncruiser

We have had the card for a couple years but have never used any of the points.   I believe the best deal is to go with OBC's.   $500 OBC cost 40,000 points.   If I go for the statement credit, I need 50,000, for $500.    I thought the obc would automatically be applied to my account since it asked for the booking number but it seems like they  mail the card to me.    I wanted them applied asap so I can purchase some excursions.  Nothing comes up under terms and conditions.     Maybe it will be explained when I receive them but just wondering if anyone has received these. and what you did with them.    Can I call Princess or my TA and give them the number to apply to our account?  

Thanks

It comes up in your cruise organizer I think as a gift.  
I do not believe that you can use it before the cruise.  Or at least I could never find a way to use it prior

you could book the excursion and then cancel once on board and then use the OBC

Good luck

i have used the OBC from my princess credit card several times.   Never had any issues getting it.  Do not wait until the last minute to get it.  Leave at least two weeks prior to your cruise

My obc credits are already used up for excursions.   Guess I will just have to pay the the next batch with my credit card.   Wish it was like the old way when you did not have to pay until the cruise but I imagine many people cancel reservations at the last minute and really screw things up .   Same with specialty restaurants.   They say some nights that half the people do not show up.  One of these days we will be paying up front for those reservations.  I don't mind.  How long does it take to call and cancel a reservation!!

3 hours ago, oldfashioncruiser said:

We have had the card for a couple years but have never used any of the points.   I believe the best deal is to go with OBC's.   $500 OBC cost 40,000 points.   If I go for the statement credit, I need 50,000, for $500.    I thought the obc would automatically be applied to my account since it asked for the booking number but it seems like they  mail the card to me.    I wanted them applied asap so I can purchase some excursions.  Nothing comes up under terms and conditions.     Maybe it will be explained when I receive them but just wondering if anyone has received these. and what you did with them.    Can I call Princess or my TA and give them the number to apply to our account?  

Thanks

Below is a breakdown of the redemptions/statement credits you will receive.  If you purchase a cruise in excess of $4000 with your Princess Visa and have 50,000 points you will receive a statement credit of $1000 which is the best value. 

• Princess Cruise purchases within the last 180 days:
    • $50 to $499.99 will have a redemption value of 1%
    • $500 to $2,000.99 will have a redemption value of 1.25%
    • $2,001 to $4,000.99 will have a redemption value of 1.50%
    • $4,001 and up will have a redemption value of 2.00%
Edited by Syracusefan44
  • Like 2

No, I have not paid for my cruise yet.  Final payment is due next month.    I normally use my AMEX platinum card because I get $300 OBC for booking a suite.   But I am thinking that maybe I could pay for the Ezair with my Princess card - that would be over $5000.

So, one other question:   with this virus, none of us really know if our upcoming cruise might be canceled -   what happens to the OBC if either you cancel the cruise or the cruise if canceled by the company?   

Thanks for the replies.

1 hour ago, oldfashioncruiser said:

No, I have not paid for my cruise yet.  Final payment is due next month.    I normally use my AMEX platinum card because I get $300 OBC for booking a suite.   But I am thinking that maybe I could pay for the Ezair with my Princess card - that would be over $5000.

So, one other question:   with this virus, none of us really know if our upcoming cruise might be canceled -   what happens to the OBC if either you cancel the cruise or the cruise if canceled by the company?   

Thanks for the replies.

Good question.  I wondered that myself since the Princess Visa card says it is not refundable.  But I would imagine if the cruise line cancels you may have more chance of getting it back especially if you have insurance. 
I just did the 40,000 points for $500obc but it doesn't show on my personalizer and if you read just above where your other regular obc is listed, it states that "gift" credit may not show up on the personalizer but will be added to your acccount once onboard.  Yeah, it's a bit disconcerting....so I printed out the receipt from the Princess Visa to take with us.

22 hours ago, suzyed said:

I just did the 40,000 points for $500obc but it doesn't show on my personalizer and if you read just above where your other regular obc is listed, it states that "gift" credit may not show up on the personalizer but will be added to your acccount once onboard.  Yeah, it's a bit disconcerting....so I printed out the receipt from the Princess Visa to take with us.

It does show up in the Personalizer, but not in the OBC section.

ALL SPECIAL SERVICES FOR THIS BOOKING
Onboard Credit $100.00 Usd Quantity: 1 Reservation Contact: PRINCESS CRUISES
Onboard Credit $50.00 Usd Quantity: 1 Reservation Contact: PRINCESS CRUISES

1 hour ago, caribill said:

It does show up in the Personalizer, but not in the OBC section.

ALL SPECIAL SERVICES FOR THIS BOOKING
Onboard Credit $100.00 Usd Quantity: 1 Reservation Contact: PRINCESS CRUISES
Onboard Credit $50.00 Usd Quantity: 1 Reservation Contact: PRINCESS CRUISES

Mine doesn't.
"Onboard Credits are essentially onboard spending money that is applied to your shipboard folio. At the end of your cruise, these credits are applied to your final balance due. You may receive these credits as a result of a special promotion from Princess or your travel agent. The following is a detailed list of applicable credits. Please note that purchased and gifted Onboard Credits for this booking will be available onboard even though they are not visible on this list."

Edited by suzyed
added info