New to MSC, some questions

joeyancho

We are sailing the Seaview in December.  While not new to cruising (44 cruises) we are new to MSC. I would like some input from MSC cruisers. Is there anytime dining ? How is the overall dining/ food quality in the MDR? How much is the specialty dining? How is the entertainment,  say compared to Princess or NCL? Is there a fridge in the balcony rooms?  And anything else that you think I need to know.  Thank you in advance for your help.  

I have been on Seaview last year. You have a mini bar in the balcony room. Food quality in MDR I think it depends on what different ppl like. I personally prefer the buffet, but give MDR a try. About dining time it depends on your experience. If you have the Aurea experience you have my choice dining time. This means you can have dinner at any time during the restaurant opening hours. If you are on Bella or Fantastica you will have to go at a certain hour that you will find on your card. You might be able to change it if you don't like it but that's not a certainty.

8 hours ago, joeyancho said:

We are sailing the Seaview in December.  While not new to cruising (44 cruises) we are new to MSC. I would like some input from MSC cruisers. Is there anytime dining ? How is the overall dining/ food quality in the MDR? How much is the specialty dining? How is the entertainment,  say compared to Princess or NCL? Is there a fridge in the balcony rooms?  And anything else that you think I need to know.  Thank you in advance for your help.  

We cruised MSC for the first time after 30cruises with other cruise lines.  whether you have anytime dining depends on the experience you select.  YC has its own restaurant and it's any time dining. There are 3 dining times for MDR and I believe Aurea experience can select any time they want.  The YC food was good we enjoyed, I would say the dishes are cooked with less salt.  It's been a while since we have been on Princess but I liked the entertainment better than NCL. It's not Broadway show like Royal but I found the singers and the other acts to be very talented.  The specialty restaurants are more expensive than NCL or Royal.  The dining package limits both restaurants you can go to and menu options. Butcher's Cut for 2 was $100+and we had a drink package.  Regardless, we loved the YC and booked again. It is not comparable to NCL Haven; so much better.

If you are used to the alcohol packages on other cruiselines,  be careful to research what MSC offers.  Their entry level package,  Easy Package, has a very limited list of options and is not accepted in the speciality restaurants at all.   And if you want a drink that costs more than the package covers,  you're paying for the whole thing, not just the difference in price.

18 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Yes, there's a fridge in the cabin, regardless of cabin type or Experience level. It will have a full setups in there when you board - mini booze bottles, beers, sodas, juices, snacks - they are all extra charge unless you're in YC, or have the Premium Plus package.  The steward can lock it off for you, or empty it (some will some won't). 

Yes, MSC has MyChoice dining. You have to be booked in an Aurea Experience cabin to have that perk. Bella or Fantastica have set dining.  (YC is anytime also, but they're in their own restaurant, so no affect on MDR)..

Entertainment is wildly subjective.  We find the shows much better than Princess for the most part, but then we've seen every Princess show so many times I can recite along basically! We don't even go to them anymore.  Can't compare to NCL as we've not sailed them.  The production shows are every night - different show each night. And they're much more visual and musical than Princess shows. Much less of a story line. From what I can determine, it's due to so very many nationalities aboard that story lines don't always translate well across so many cultures, but dancing and music, etc do..  there are many components - singing, dancing, acrobatics, and so on.  And they're short - 35-45 minutes, tops.  We thoroughly enjoy them, the acrobatics and such is excellent.   

Not nearly as much comedy and such as other lines, again - tough to pull off with so many nationalities aboard (much much more diverse demographics among passengers than Princess or NCL!).

Have a great time!