Fogged out on the Carnival Dream

itchintocruise

41 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Dream is now moored at the terminal, and crew is debarking. Live coverage:

https://www.galveston.com/webcams/cruisevideocam/

41 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Dream is now moored at the terminal, and crew is debarking. Live coverage:

https://www.galveston.com/webcams/cruisevideocam/

Joe817 thanks for the link one of the best web cam views of the pier i have seen. Sorry about multiples could not figure how to back out

1 minute ago, phoneman69 said:

Joe817 thanks for the link one of the best web cam views of the pier i have seen. Sorry about multiples could not figure how to back out

Most welcome. There's another website that has multiple web cam coverage of the port area and beyond, but can't find it without searching. Yeah, that web cam is pretty neat. And don't worry about duplicate posts. I have done it many times. Right now, I'm waiting to stumble upon ship-to-shore comms for the cruise ships. Should be interesting listening. As a ham radio operator I get a kick out of listening to mundane stuff like that. lol

7 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Most welcome. There's another website that has multiple web cam coverage of the port area and beyond, but can't find it without searching. Yeah, that web cam is pretty neat. And don't worry about duplicate posts. I have done it many times. Right now, I'm waiting to stumble upon ship-to-shore comms for the cruise ships. Should be interesting listening. As a ham radio operator I get a kick out of listening to mundane stuff like that. lol

As an old cb radio listener i understand your interest

16 hours ago, Joe817 said:

All ship to shore would be on VHF frequencies, so unless you are within line of sight, you're not likely to get anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, medi130 said:

That's the problem with Galveston this time of year. It's a nice port but he have to add in time for the fog.

That's why we have a night before our cruise on the 29th of this month and staying the night we get back, before our flight the next day.  I don't want the stress of trying to catch a flight the same day or schedule it so late that I feel like the day is wasted just waiting for a flight.

I feel for the people that are not aware of the fog this time of year.  

It's interesting how the fog works - we debarked Freedom Saturday morning.  It was bright and sunny.  We were prepared for a little extra time, but it was not to be!

The bigger concern was that the port ramp was down so ship operations had to pivot - THAT created a bit of a wait.  But much quicker than fog issues.  Bonus was once we got into Immigration, that moved super fast!

On 2/18/2020 at 4:40 AM, chengkp75 said:

All ship to shore would be on VHF frequencies, so unless you are within line of sight, you're not likely to get anything.

One of our favorite weekend pass times is to take one of the Baofengs with a mix of ham frequencies, marine and some of the terminal operations UHF stuff and listen in. We ride our bikes all over the island on weekends, so the range works for me.  Galveston 2 meter and 70 cm is like many repeaters, so it's quiet, but the opps stuff is entertaining.
 As you would expect, I lock those channels out for transmit so zero chance for mistakes.

Edited by BallFour4