Cobh- port time 11 am to 11 pm

ldog

We will be in Cobh in April on Friday the 17th.  Our port time is 11 am to 11 pm so I'm in a bit of a quandary what to do. 

Travelling out to the countryside by public transport?  I've been to Blarney Castle - DH hasn't.  Jamieson distillery would be interesting.

With the later departure I'm thinking that going to an Irish pub is an option.  Suggestions?

• Like 1

We had an overnight stop in Cobh last August. We didn't arrive until 11:00am on Day 1. With it being our first time there, we did a private excursion to Blarney (and loved it), but we too were not sure what to do in the evening as our tour was returning around 6:00pm. In the end, we decided to get back off the ship and just walk around the town. We ended up at the Cathedral just as dusk was taking over. We got some fabulous pictures of the Cathedral with the interior lights shining through the stained glass, also of looking down towards the ship etc. We carried on walking through some more of the streets and down by the water's edge. We thought we would go into one of the pubs across from the ship but they were packed and in the end after a couple of hours of walking we decided it was just as nice to go back to the ship.

If this is your first time there, and I had your times, I would either look for a 5-6 hour tour and then do something like the above, or  I would take the train into Cork for a wander round and maybe have a nice meal. Just be cautious with the train return times (I think they are only once an hour in the evening) or be prepared to pay for a taxi. Enjoy!

We spent a year and a half in Ireland and took a number of friends and family to Cobh. As the previous poster says, the Cathedral is well worth a visit, as is the Titanic Experience. We also went to Fota Park on a few of our trips and really enjoyed it. With a little research you can find enough to do there to keep you entertained all day.

7 hours ago, DavidA23 said:

We spent a year and a half in Ireland and took a number of friends and family to Cobh. As the previous poster says, the Cathedral is well worth a visit, as is the Titanic Experience. We also went to Fota Park on a few of our trips and really enjoyed it. With a little research you can find enough to do there to keep you entertained all day.

Do you recommend staying in Cohb when it is a shorter port stop. Is there enough to do to just wander and a diy tour or do you need to go to cogo to fill 6-8 hours?

7 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Do you recommend staying in Cohb when it is a shorter port stop. Is there enough to do to just wander and a diy tour or do you need to go to cogo to fill 6-8 hours?

I'd also take the train to Cork. We took the train which is right on the dock, 24 mins ride you're in Cork. We took our time wandering about, going to the English market, made some good shopping at M&S, went to the Central Station, took the local bus to Kinsale, spent there about an hour, went back by bus to Cork, walked back to the train station, took the train to Cork, and still had time to wander about Cobn, walk to the Cathedral, really leisurely.

Kinsale is indeed worth a visit. While many people like/love Cork, I visited it many times and never really enjoyed it. The link below has some nice pics and advice on a day in Cobh.

https://www.ourescapeclause.com/things-to-do-in-cobh-ireland/

We will be visiting Cobh in April and plan on returning to Fota Park.

https://www.fotawildlife.ie/

On 2/17/2020 at 5:40 PM, ldog said:

We will be in Cobh in April on Friday the 17th.  Our port time is 11 am to 11 pm so I'm in a bit of a quandary what to do. 

Travelling out to the countryside by public transport?  I've been to Blarney Castle - DH hasn't.  Jamieson distillery would be interesting.

With the later departure I'm thinking that going to an Irish pub is an option.  Suggestions?

I have just discovered a morning visit to Jameson Distillery, Midleton arranged by the distillery.

They collect from the cruise port and drop you back by lunchtime.  Might be interesting to you.

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-EN/visit-us/jameson-distillery-midleton/jdm-our-home/jdm-plan-your-visit

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, VMax1700 said:

I have just discovered a morning visit to Jameson Distillery, Midleton arranged by the distillery.

They collect from the cruise port and drop you back by lunchtime.  Might be interesting to you.

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-EN/visit-us/jameson-distillery-midleton/jdm-our-home/jdm-plan-your-visit

thanks but we don't dock until 11 am. 

1 hour ago, ldog said:

thanks but we don't dock until 11 am. 

Ok, I phoned the distillery and they told me that the bus collection is arranged by Butlers Bus Tours https://www.ecoach.ie/index.php

There is a collection scheduled for 17th April and meeting time is 10.30 am.  I am aware your itinerary says 11.00 am arrival, however the Port of Cork schedule is listing a 10.00 am arrival for Rotterdam.  As Rotterdam is the only ship in Cobh that day and there is a tour scheduled, I would presume that it would work for you.  If you want to check the tour operator has a toll free number from USA/Canada 1(800)659-4271,

or email Butlers Bus tours at ian@ButlersTours.com