Subways in Santiago?

Mtngirl2

We spent a number of days in Santiago prior to our cruise in December. We did use the subway during the day time hours only & felt safe. We were advised to maintain tight possession of purses, wallets, backpacks, etc. but this would be true in any major city. Tourists can be easy targets. During one of our rides, a very nice local women cautioned my husband when he was looking at his cell phone to put it away. Too easy to grab & run. Things may have changed, but while we were there, a number of stations had been damaged during the current political unrest and therefore closed. I would advise you to check the status of stations you plan on using. Hopefully staff at your hotel can help you with those questions. 

Thanks for your reply!  I will be staying out by the airport and was trying to figure a way to visit some places in the city.  There is a bus that goes from the airport to one of the main subway stops, and I was trying to figure out how to get from that subway stop to a few places I wanted to visit.  I will be a solo traveler and am aware of being cautious wherever I travel, no matter what city!  Tours by Locals are too expensive for one person, and I have visited Santiago before, so I was hoping to get around and see a few other places like handicraft markets, etc.  I will take your good advice and will continue to look at other options.  Looking forward to my trip!  Thanks so much once again!

• 3 weeks later...

The subway system is not working at the moment because several stations were set fire to as part of the ongoing demonstrations.  This makes the line ups for the buses very long and there is a lot of gridlock in the city due to the lack of subway lines available.  Pack a lot of patience!  (We were there two days ago - March 6th and 7th.)

Why risk public transportation with everything going on?  Particularly as a solo traveler.  We were there in January and it was pretty much a mess.  My advice would be to take taxis and get to where you want to go safely with no worries for a few extra pesos!

Edited by TeeRick