Two Australian evacuees from Diamond Princess test positive to coronavirus in Darwin

I am going to be mean but I believe that for the next four to six months, no one should be let out of China.  No airlines at all flying to and from China.   In Canada we do not have many confirmed cases,  perhaps 12 at the latest.   Everyone had come from China or had contact with someone who came from China.  Our latest lady flew from Iran to Vancouver and a family member caught Coronavirus from her.    News reports say the woman who became ill was associating in Iran with someone who came from China.    Can we simply not allow anymore flights from China to reach North America.  Safety first should be the motto for the next four to six months.  Air Canada is still allowing flights to Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto from Beijing and Shanghai.  For the sake of our citizens, I wish our government would act and ban all those flights.   Yes, might be a mean thing to say, but, let's see if this stops the spread in Canada.  We have quite a few Canadians from the Diamond Princess who are now quarantined  in one of our facilities Nav Canada near Ottawa and we will be watching if any of them become ill. This will be interesting to watch.    We will be in Sydney in the next few weeks and we are certainly hoping that things are quite there.

1 hour ago, pink845 said:

I am going to be mean but I believe that for the next four to six months, no one should be let out of China.  No airlines at all flying to and from China.   In Canada we do not have many confirmed cases,  perhaps 12 at the latest.   Everyone had come from China or had contact with someone who came from China.  Our latest lady flew from Iran to Vancouver and a family member caught Coronavirus from her.    News reports say the woman who became ill was associating in Iran with someone who came from China.    Can we simply not allow anymore flights from China to reach North America.  Safety first should be the motto for the next four to six months.  Air Canada is still allowing flights to Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto from Beijing and Shanghai.  For the sake of our citizens, I wish our government would act and ban all those flights.   Yes, might be a mean thing to say, but, let's see if this stops the spread in Canada.  We have quite a few Canadians from the Diamond Princess who are now quarantined  in one of our facilities Nav Canada near Ottawa and we will be watching if any of them become ill. This will be interesting to watch.    We will be in Sydney in the next few weeks and we are certainly hoping that things are quite there.

As a fellow Canadian, I totally agree. Ban all flights to/from China outright and stop this thing from spreading even more. We are also heading to Sydney in March. 

Seven of the evacuees from the Diamond Princess, who were placed in isolation at Darwin, have tested positive to the virus.  They only had mild symptoms and were transferred by air ambulance to their home states for medical care.  Australia only had 15 cases in all, 4 of which were on the Gold Coast from the one travel group.  

5 hours ago, pink845 said:

Make sure you don't bring any germs over with you 😉

51 minutes ago, Pushka said:

This is spreading. So according to the Ban proposal put forward we should now also ban flights from S Korea, Japan and now Italy. Tomorrow or the next we will likely add a few more countries to the ban list. 

Which is plainly and simply ludicrous. It would actually cause more disruption to the world - and actually more negative helath impact as medical supplies (including masks) are produced in China, so nobody can get any more of those.

But yeah, simplistic solutions, as long as they only theoretically affect someone else...

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Which is plainly and simply ludicrous. It would actually cause more disruption to the world - and actually more negative helath impact as medical supplies (including masks) are produced in China, so nobody can get any more of those.

But yeah, simplistic solutions, as long as they only theoretically affect someone else...

Agree. It’s like USA folk saying they will only cruise in local waters. Hello?

We are quite fortunate here in Canada.  We have a company here that is manufacturing masks by the tons.  Also, American and United (US airlines) are no longer flying to / from China mainland at all nor Hong Kong.  A bright move.  And have not been for the last couple of weeks.  Containment -  no movement of people by air from China around the world should have been done weeks ago to prevent people from spreading this virus.  And my bet soon is that countries are going to ban travel to China and South Korea very soon outright.   It is going to be a case of too little too late unfortunately!   And I will not be spreading germs.  Will you?  Since there are only 12 cases in Canada and they are all contained.   

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I don’t think China is the main issue anymore although I do agree that Travel needs to be restricted as is current. 

China was always the issue. The numbers of diagnosed in China are far too great for the virus to have started in December with a two week incubation period. More likely last September or October and their government sat on their hands and kept it secret. That is why it is popping up in Iran, Italy and other places where it cannot be traced. The incubation period is far too long and the Chinese swept it under the carpet for far too long. It doesn't matter anyway as the virus is inflicted on the world now and it would not surprise me if anyone in Australia feeling sick or ill over Christmas or New Years actually has already had it.

5 minutes ago, dragonlord24601 said:

China was always the issue. The numbers of diagnosed in China are far too great for the virus to have started in December with a two week incubation period. More likely last September or October and their government sat on their hands and kept it secret. That is why it is popping up in Iran, Italy and other places where it cannot be traced. The incubation period is far too long and the Chinese swept it under the carpet for far too long. It doesn't matter anyway as the virus is inflicted on the world now and it would not surprise me if anyone in Australia feeling sick or ill over Christmas or New Years actually has already had it.

Yes China is and was always the issue at the start. But it’s moved on, escaped from China so we need to look at a wider scope now. Genie is out of the bottle. 
Lucky we have had a hot summer period over that time. And maybe people even curtailed travel here from OS due to the bushfires. 

Edited by Pushka

2 minutes ago, dragonlord24601 said:

I agree China was the main issue.  This week's Four Corners gave a glimpse in how China was handling the virus epidemic.  When the Bill and Melanie Gates Foundation give 5 million each to China and Africa, I felt that this was going to be a worldwide epidemic unless contained.