Alaska land tour portion information request

Nieuwcruiser

47 minutes ago, Jnsplace1 said:

I called Princess and upgraded to Tundra.   Was an easy call, they looked at my cruisetour, based on the time I had available, and booked me.   As this is important to me, I didn't want to wait until later.

Good to know!!!    Do you mind telling me what was the upcharge for it?   thanks

22 minutes ago, compozer said:

Good to know!!!    Do you mind telling me what was the upcharge for it?   thanks

Based on prices listed on the Denali reservation site,  the upgrade SHOULD cost about $60.

The TWT costs $162  and the NHT is $ 102. 

The catch will be .... do you have time for a longer tour? 

You might also consider asking for a refund,  then book a transit bus to Eielson Visitor Center (EVC) for $45, instead of the TWT.   Both buses travel the same road, make the same stops for wildlife and bathroom breaks.  The EVC is a lovely destination in itself.... awesome views if the mountain is out, exhibits, ranger hike at noon, trails, a bus dispatcher if you choose to take a different bus back, flush toilets, drinking fountains. 

Another advantage is the scheduling:  the EVC buses leave every 30 minutes so you can choose a departure that works well for you.  With the tour buses your departure is assigned and it might be as early as 6:40am or 1:40pm.

Worth considering ....

Details about the TWT and EVC transit in the following links:

https://www.reservedenali.com/tours-transits/the-denali-tour-experience/tundra-wilderness-tour/

https://www.reservedenali.com/tours-transits/transits/eielson-visitor-center/

You might also consider asking for a refund,  then book a transit bus to Eielson Visitor Center (EVC) for $45, instead of the TWT.  

That was going to be my next question - has anyone been successful getting a refund and if so, do you do it prior to the cruise, on the ship, or at guest services at the hotel.      Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Edited by compozer

I personally prefer the narrated version.   The non-narrated might work for those that have done the route before.  Not every bus driver narrates on the non-narrated shuttles.

As I have people in my group that have never gone before, i prefer the sure bet of the history & etc.

Edited by Jnsplace1
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 10:43 AM, Nieuwcruiser said:

We are on the Celebrity cruisetour.  We have booked our shore excursions for the cruise portions, but I have a few questions regarding the land portion.

In Fairbanks we go on a riverboat cruise, visit and an Indian Village and a dog sled camp.  I'm wondering if you get up close and personal with the dogs?  Is this similar to the Dog sled camp excursions on the ship?

In Denali the tour includes the Natural History tour but there is an option to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness tour.  It looks like the Tundra tour is 8 hours and appears to be mostly a bus ride.  Is that true?  I'd rather hike than ride a bus all day.  Suggestions?

Any must do suggestions for our free time in Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage or Seward?

Thanks!

Without a doubt if you want to see animals in Denali upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour.  You are on a bus, but it makes a number of stops at rest areas, and will stop to allow you to get great views of the animals that you encounter.

I believe that you will get up close with the dogs at the sled dog camp, especially the young animals.

• Like 1

Good info!  I am now leaning toward upgrading to the Tundra Wilderness tour.  From what I've read, on Celebrity it is a $75.00 up charge.  

Our trip isn't until mid August so hopefully the roads will be ok by then.  

3 hours ago, compozer said:

You might also consider asking for a refund,  then book a transit bus to Eielson Visitor Center (EVC) for $45, instead of the TWT.  

That was going to be my next question - has anyone been successful getting a refund and if so, do you do it prior to the cruise, on the ship, or at guest services at the hotel.      Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I was able to call Princess and remove the TWT tour that was part of our connoisseur tour.  We were credited the cost of the tour (this was before final payment) and then booked a tour independently.  I knew we wanted more than just the TWT so did it early (our tour is this June).