Are there washrooms and umbrellas at Sapphire beach?

yvrbos

We are in the midst of trying to decide which beach to go to while we are in St. Thomas. Sapphire feels like a good match for a quiet, calm day on the beach. With that in mind, I wanted to know if you can find a washroom and some umbrellas there?

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

It sounds like I need to be there as early as possible in order to snag one of those naturally shady spots. Is there a location that I should ask my taxi driver to drop us off at?

Many of the Sapphire owners ang guests claim their spots about 7 AM. I doubt you can get there before 7. But get dropped off at the main entrance and go left on the beach toward Crystal Cove. There is shade there but you may be sitting on a towel until the chair rental shop opens. 

What is meant by Sapphire owners and guests? Are there resorts with private beaches?

How busy does this beach get? Will I be able to get a spot in the shade if I arrive about 10?

The shady spots are first come but the units are on the beach so owners and guests can have their coffee on the beach and choose their location so the shade goes fast. You may or may not find a shady spot on the beach in front but if you search to the left there are shady spots. 
Chairs are provided for the condo occupant and visitors can rent chairs from the dive shop for $9. Snorkels, sups, and other beach toys can be rented as well. 
Taxi fares  are in the $10 or $12 per person depending on where you dock. 

St Thomas is unlike many Caribbean islands. There are currently very few "resorts" or hotels. Frenchman's Reef and Sugar Bay were two of the large hotel/resorts that were damaged in Irmaria of September, 2017. They have still not reopened. St Thomas is largely a condominium island. Sapphire Beach, for example, is comprised of condo units which are rented out, mostly individually, by the owner. Territorial law requires access to the beach by all, so those on cruise ships can and do go there. The owners have their own chairs, etc. and the dive shop there is allowed to rent chairs to "outsiders". This is similar to other condo communities on the island.

There are no private beaches, although you may not be allowed access to the entire beach, pools, etc.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:26 PM, Mokescaps said:

How much is the cab ride to this beach and how long a ride?   How much are chair rentals?

Should we do this beach on our own or thru the ship's excursion?

Thanks.

We are doing the ship excursion and are roughly at the same price as doing everything individually (possibly even a few bucks less).  We have our own snorkel equipment, which is also included in our excursion - if we had to rent it would make the cruise excursion cheaper.

Many people do not like ship excursions for any reason, and have argued that even if it costs less you are tied to the cruise line's schedule.  We are fine with the cruise line schedule for this port and excursion so it works for us.

I used to think we did too, but we find by mid-day in the full sun (toward the end of our excursion time) we are ready to be back on board or in the shade.  Even private islands where we have "all day" we don't stay more than 4 or 5 hours which includes a light meal.  Most snorkeling excursions we researched - including private - only allowed about 45 minutes in the water on the longest and usually only 30 minutes, so we are still getting a reasonable amount of time given the time in port.

I was surprised to see the ship price was the same or less as DIY, since I am used to a ship excursion that is basically a transfer being much higher priced.

• 2 months later...