Behind the Scenes Tour Access for Non-Platinum Companion

egurbi

Will my non-platinum companion accompanying me on my sailing in the same stateroom be able to accompany me (Platinum member) on the behind the scenes tour?  If it matters, companion has same last name, staying in same cabin and has gold status. Thanks.

Edited by egurbi

6 minutes ago, egurbi said:

Will my non-platinum companion accompanying me on my sailing in the same stateroom be able to accompany me (Platinum member) on the behind the scenes tour?  If it matters, companion has same last name, staying in same cabin and has gold status. Thanks.

On the Getaway in January, I was politely told NO when I asked.  They didn't even give it a minute to consider same names or status.  Just NO, I'm sorry.  However, previous threads I read said sometimes they make an exception.  So ask them when you sign up.  

On the Getaway  August, 2018, it was no problem, no questions asked.  A couple of months later, April 2019 on the Breakaway, it was definitely a No.  I was surprised by that after my experience on the Getaway.  No harm in asking.  I intend to ask on the Joy.  YMMV

The tour is also offered for anyone - but there is a fee associated with it. They make it clear that latitudes membership is per person as are the perks that go with it. That said it is up to the people on the ship to decide what rules to follow. Perhaps on the Getaway there were no other platinum members that wanted to do the tour so they made an exception. I suspect that people in the Haven would also have some extra pull through the concierge. 

Don't be surprised if they say no.  There are so many platinum and above, that they routinely find the group bigger than they would like.  Adding people who are not platinum or above, would really make for a very big group.

3 out of 4 times I have had my non-P companion take the tour - and that last on the JEWEL the answer was

the big ole FLAT "NO" even though I am P+ was in the DOS Haven.

But I did try.

To reserve a slot on the BST the P guest is supposed to check with the Next Cruise people on the day of embarking.

How much different the P BST tour is from the $80 regular guest one I don't know.

The tour formerly covered more areas but sadly security is now the big issue and the Bridge is off limits.

The P BST - usually covers the Laundry Facility - The Back Stage of the Theatre - a walk down the main crew

corridor on deck (3?) called I95 (the Freeway near the port of Miami) - a visit to the Galley supporting the two MDRs

and climbing many interior sets of steep stairways going between tour sites therefore the rules regarding wearing

shoes (no bare feet or flippy flops) .

Can last from about hour to an hour and half

Controlled groups of 15 to 25 depending on the ship

Photography allowed but check for restrictions i.e. crew areas - back stage dressing rooms

After you have seen the BST a couple of times it is old hat - same ole same ole - I would rather take a tour of

the 29 bars on a ship - BUT for your non-P companion first time is very interesting - so if after asking if you

could perhaps bring your companion along and receive apparently the big "NO" answer - one might ask if there

is a chance of a tour not filling up if NCL would reconsider - nothing ventured - nothing gained - and then there

is of course I will buy the NCL Next Cruise Certificate "IF" my companion can go on the tour !  LOL !

6 hours ago, egurbi said:

Yes, your companion should be able to accompany you on the tour.....subject to availability. Your tour will be free with platinum status, and companion will be required to pay. 😉

Incidentally, names have nothing to do with whether or not you can do the tour together.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I've done a few Platinum BSTs when I have been cruising by myself, so facing this for the first time.  Truth is my companion is more interested than me in the tour (how many times can you marvel at the laundry presser?) and I'd rather just substitute them for me -- but understand that is not possible.