Panorama Vs Mardi Gras

LynnTH

Looking to book a cruise for spring break next March.  There will be 4 of us. Me, DH and DS21 and DD19.  I think we have it narrowed down to either the Panoramo or Mardi Gras.

Couple of Questions:

1.  Panorama is Mexican Riviera -which we have never done (although been to Cabo on a land vacation and really liked it).  I have been reading and it is true that the Sea Days to the ports and back are cooler.  Seems once you get to Mexico there is warm weather but the way there and back can be cooler and windy.  (we like hanging at the pools  on Sea Days so just wondering if I need to take this into consideration)

2.  Trying to keep costs down as we have other trips planned.  For about the same cost we an either get a Balcony on the Lido Deck (which is what we normally get) or we can get a Inside Cabin on Deck 5 Havana.  What would you choose.  I don't know much about the Havana area - it looks really nice.  Does it get crowded?

I know Mardi Gras is not sailing yet but also looks awesome with Food Truck Area, Big Pizzs Area, Shaq Chicken, Roller Coaster - we have been to the places before and have had great times also.  (Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan).  Any suggestions or info would be great.  Thanks.

Havana area is capacity controlled to the number of guests in Havana cabins. No one else is permitted is my understanding. Since you are looking at a Spring Break cruise, that might be the better option, but either ship is probably going to be packed (and that's not always the best thing).

7 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

Havana area is capacity controlled to the number of guests in Havana cabins. No one else is permitted is my understanding. Since you are looking at a Spring Break cruise, that might be the better option, but either ship is probably going to be packed (and that's not always the best thing).

We are used to going during Spring Break with the kids schedules so that doesn't bother us.  Just wasn't sure how big the area actually is and how hard it is to get loungers.  Would be nice not having to get up at 7 to get to the pool area. 

Looking at the Deck Plans for the Mardi Gras, the Havana area is totally different than the Havana area on the Vista, Horizon and Panorama. On these ships the Havana area is aft with a pool, 2 hot tubs and a bar.

On the Mardi Gras deck plans shows the Havana area is forward and just 1 pool, no hot tubs and a small bar.

Edited by tandemcruzr
spelling
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, tandemcruzr said:

Looking at the Deck Plans for the Mardi Gras, the Havana area is totally different than the Havana area on the Vista, Horizon and Panorama. On these ships the Havana area is aft with a pool, 2 hot tubs and a bar.

On the Mardi Gras deck plans shows the Havana area is forward and just 1 pool, no hot tubs and a small bar.

The Havana area I was looking at was on the Panorama (way too expensive for the Mardi Gras cruise that week)

24 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

I am not certain about this because I have never and will never stay in one, but I thought guests in grand suites or higher also had access to the Havana area on Vista class ships. 

We had a party of 12 on the Vista and all of us were in Havana Cabanas. We never had problems getting a lounger by the pool.  Most of the time we were the only ones out by the pool.  We loved the area for that exact reason.  It was so quiet and we got to know all the waiters and they took great care of us all week.  We will cruise in a Havana cabana anytime we get the chance!

I was on the Panorama 12/28/2019 - 01/04/2020 sailing in a Havana Cabana on deck 5 and on Sea Days every lounger is full by 11:30ish. If you want a lounger in Havana during Spring break I highly suggest getting out to the Havana Pool on Sea Days at 10 AM, if you want one of those day beds, be out there by 9 AM. 

The problem is with the Havana area on Panorama is there are more Havana Cabins on Panorama then there are on Vista and Horizon and that is why in my humble opinion it gets packed by 11:00 - 11:30 on Sea Days.

Happy Sailing.

21 minutes ago, Jenny in TX said:

We had a party of 12 on the Vista and all of us were in Havana Cabanas. We never had problems getting a lounger by the pool.  Most of the time we were the only ones out by the pool.  We loved the area for that exact reason.  It was so quiet and we got to know all the waiters and they took great care of us all week.  We will cruise in a Havana cabana anytime we get the chance!

That sounds wonderful!

13 minutes ago, bdever said:

I was on the Panorama 12/28/2019 - 01/04/2020 sailing in a Havana Cabana on deck 5 and on Sea Days every lounger is full by 11:30ish. If you want a lounger in Havana during Spring break I highly suggest getting out to the Havana Pool on Sea Days at 10 AM, if you want one of those day beds, be out there by 9 AM. 

The problem is with the Havana area on Panorama is there are more Havana Cabins on Panorama then there are on Vista and Horizon and that is why in my humble opinion it gets packed by 11:00 - 11:30 on Sea Days.

Happy Sailing.

We would be out there earlier than 9 anyway so that is not a problem. Kids also like the action at Lido Deck might spend time there also.  How was the weather on the Sea Days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LynnTH said:

We would be out there earlier than 9 anyway so that is not a problem. Kids also like the action at Lido Deck might spend time there also.  How was the weather on the Sea Days.

It was cool on 2 of 3 Sea Days but nice enough to enjoy the Jacuzzi but not so much the Pool at Lido. The Pool in Havana was nice to sit in shallow water as it is a little heated or seems to be.

We cruised a couple weeks ago on the Panorama to Mexico.  There are never any weather "guarantees" in the winter and early spring in Southern CA.  We were very fortunate.  The Saturday we left was beautiful and in the upper 60's.  The great, warm, sunny weather continued on all the subsequent days, until day 6 (sea day - overcast, chilly for most), and then the day we disembarked (mostly cloudy, in the 50's when we got off the ship in the morning).

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am not certain about this because I have never and will never stay in one, but I thought guests in grand suites or higher also had access to the Havana area on Vista class ships. 

You are correct

Just got back from panorama. Beautiful weather the whole time. Even Long Beach was 70. Just depends this time of year could dip into 50s. Of course it will be cooler then pv. I also read a few different times about the ship being in rougher water on the way back. What I experienced the boat moved around much more the last day. The sea had a slight chop under 3ft. I think the extra movement was caused by the ship operating at a slower speed. The ship rode different. We were going around 15kn. I'm sure they didn't wanna her back to the shore too quickly. Conversely we had to have 2 people evacuated off the ship. To keep on schedule the ship was running at a higher speed you could definitely tell it was above avg cruise speed. Same thing the ship moved much more. Can always look online and see how many kns ship is going.  

Thanks everyone for the info.  I talked with DH and the kids last night and we all agreed that when we go on a cruise that the Pool/Sea days were important and so was warm weather.  So, we are going to do the Mardi Gras.  Will be fun to be on a new ship.  I can get a Havana Cabana for $700 more than the Balcony on Lido Deck.  Am very much considering it - I know the Havana area is not as nice as the Vista ships but the huge deck area off the cabin looks awesome.  (and not sure how many more trips I will get with all of us together as soon kids will be graduating college and getting real jobs.... so might be fun to splurge)