Just returned from Magic. Time for break from Carnival?

LPYRCRUISER

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

These threads always confuse me. So what if someone wants to try a different cruise line? Do people feel guilty or something? Go, try a different line. It's not that deep.

No, I never felt guilty. I tried RCCL and NCL after 5 Carnival cruises. They both had their good points and bad points. We returned to Carnival one year ago, and found we were most comfortable with them. It fit our retirement budget better, and we just loved the fun atmosphere. I’m sure not everyone feels the same as us, but that’s ok. Everyone has different tastes in what they want out of a cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you for your review! After three cruises on Conquest-class ships, we got a ridiculous deal and tried RCI on Oasis of the Seas. After that we went on Magic, and although it was a very nice ship and a very nice vacation, we missed the Wow factor of Oasis and her entertainment (where we missed CATS but loved the ice skating show and diving show). I will say that we found service in the dining room much better on Carnival. Our next cruise is on NCL. Nothing wrong with a little variety! We'll go back to Carnival again if the cost is right, though I'm hoping they step up their game in terms of entertainment and the look /feel of the ships. My in-laws will only cruise Carnival because they want to build up their status, but we only cruise once every few years, so getting the best deal is not our primary goal. 

• 1 month later...

We tried Princess and never will go back. Liked Carnival a lot more, although we liked Holland America more than Princess. I don't think you will find Princess upscale in the food department. Probably just a bad time, but we thought the food was terrible on the Star Princess and then Norovirus came and it was a mess. We just didn't have fun on the cruise and that's what we missed about Carnival. Even though we aren't party animals or anything, my 80 year old mother still wants to smile while she's on vacation and Carnival does that for us!

We have been on Holland America twice and for us, the food was a major upgrade. The buffet was actually really good and we liked it more than the dining room as you basically have service at the table and you are just in charge of getting your food. 

We are sticking to Carnival and Holland America from now on.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:06 PM, olivertexas said:

I could not agree more - the last several years (especially with the Playlist Productions - ugh) this has been the case.  It's gotten so bad we don't even go to the theater.  We may end up shopping for something near the theater - so I'll wander over to hear what is going on and  then I am reminded why we don't go.  When karaoke competes favorably...eek...

And lately - the comedy club is not publicized much.  I don't know if it's because they don't want it to succeed - or that's the venue that is killing it on the ship and they don't want to overtax it!

This if for sure. Playlist productions stink now.

On 3/5/2020 at 11:51 AM, LPYRCRUISER said:

Ports  -  LOVE Half Moon Cay. Grand Turk was good, although we didn't get a chair at the beach. The locals were charging $50 for 2 chairs with umbrellas.  We found spots at the pool and enjoyed that.  We stayed on the ship at Amber Cove.  Just felt that lounging on the ship would be less hassle and more relaxing.

If you ever go back to Grand Turk, keep in mind the chairs with the dark green umbrellas are under the management of the local tourism authority and are free to use.  There is a tiny sign near the beach entrance letting people know that, but alot of people miss it.  At some point, years ago, local vendors were allowed to set up their own chairs and umbrellas in the first 2 or 3 rows from the water's edge and charge $$ to use them.