Credit Card Travel Disruption Insurance

samiam1

Has anyone ever been able to collect cruise related travel disruption insurance from one of the credit card companies?  For example, I have BOA Premium Rewards Travel Benefits but am wondering if one can actually collect anything successfully cruise related?  it is administered by a third party insurer I think which is common to all Platiunum Visa card type travel insruance programs.

Yes, many people on the Travel Insurance board here on cruisecritic have written on their success of claims submitted to their credit card that did provide some level of cancellation protection.

Edited by klfrodo

Yes, we actually received a $10,000 check from Chase for trip interruption due to a medical emergency.  At the time we did post a lot of the details on CC under the Cruise/travel Insurance blog.  But just wishing to collect  insurance is not usually good enough.  One needs to carefully read the detailed policy info, following the claims filing procedures, document everything, be persistent, keep a high level of civility,,,,even when you want to scream, etc.   It helps to understand that most insurance companies are not eager to pay claims, especially larger claims.  The burden usually falls on the claimant to prove the legitimacy of their claim and have the documents to support everything.

Hank

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, we actually received a $10,000 check from Chase for trip interruption due to a medical emergency.  At the time we did post a lot of the details on CC under the Cruise/travel Insurance blog.  But just wishing to collect  insurance is not usually good enough.  One needs to carefully read the detailed policy info, following the claims filing procedures, document everything, be persistent, keep a high level of civility,,,,even when you want to scream, etc.   It helps to understand that most insurance companies are not eager to pay claims, especially larger claims.  The burden usually falls on the claimant to prove the legitimacy of their claim and have the documents to support everything.

Hank

May thanks, I'll check Cruiee/travel insurance blog - I may have trouble with a smaller cruise line which is not taking notcie of the current situation which is in flux.

OP,

Please remember that as you read thru some of the travel insurance topics that Travel Insurance, what it covers and more importantly what is not covered is very Country of residence and here in the States, even State of residence dependent.

5 hours ago, samiam1 said:

May thanks, I'll check Cruiee/travel insurance blog - I may have trouble with a smaller cruise line which is not taking notcie of the current situation which is in flux.

I want to emphasize that our situation was a true medical emergency that involved surgery and the strong recommendation from two physicians that we get my DW home ASAP.  This was all done in a very transparent way and our medical insurance company was in the loop.  The current situation with the Coronavirus is an entirely different type of situation...and if your issue involves anything having to do with this new epidemic/pandemic then you are dealing with an entirely different world in terms of insurance.

I would also clarify that our situation had little to do with the cruise line, although it did involve the ship's physician and the limited medical capability onboard ships.

Hank

@samiam1

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍  

Since your topic is travel insurance I have moved your thread to the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum where it will be on-topic.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif