State Department advisory and cruise insurance?

treehugr

On the topic of cruise insurance, any chance the coverage could become null and void when the State Department issues such a broad advisory? One with travel insurance would typically expect to enact their insurance in the event they needed emergency care / evacuation. I’m not suggesting this would happen, but could such an advisory be utilized as a mechanism to not provide coverage?  Same goes for personal medical insurance, thoughts? Anyone have any past experience like during the H1N1 time frame?  We’re scheduled for a cruise in April and just want to gather as much information as possible to make the best decision for ourselves.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, treehugr said:

On the topic of cruise insurance, any chance the coverage could become null and void when the State Department issues such a broad advisory? One with travel insurance would typically expect to enact their insurance in the event they needed emergency care / evacuation. I’m not suggesting this would happen, but could such an advisory be utilized as a mechanism to not provide coverage?  Same goes for personal medical insurance, thoughts? Anyone have any past experience like during the H1N1 time frame?  We’re scheduled for a cruise in April and just want to gather as much information as possible to make the best decision for ourselves.

Agree with Cruisestitch, but many if not most policies will exclude. YOU need to read your policy and discuss with the agent.

• Thanks 1

My insurance covers CDC travel advisories (Nationwide Luxury Cruise). I have another Nationwide plan for a non-cruise trip to Italy in May. I confirmed with them that I will be covered once the CDC warning extends to the time period of my travel in the area I am traveling. But, I'm not sure how this cruise advisory will be handled since it is not listed as a CDC travel warning (level 2, level 3, level 4) on their sire. Just and advisory sent out without a level attached to it.

15 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

My insurance covers CDC travel advisories (Nationwide Luxury Cruise). I have another Nationwide plan for a non-cruise trip to Italy in May. I confirmed with them that I will be covered once the CDC warning extends to the time period of my travel in the area I am traveling. But, I'm not sure how this cruise advisory will be handled since it is not listed as a CDC travel warning (level 2, level 3, level 4) on their sire. Just and advisory sent out without a level attached to it.

You might want to clarify With your insurer. CDC has 3 levels. Level 3 is avoid nonessential travel. Department of State has 4 levels that relate as much to safety as health.

CDC warnings generally do not have a time period. They are simply changed with conditions.

My health insurance has an exclusion about not intentionally traveling into harms way. Thus no cover with Level 3.  If in a country and situation changes I am covered. Like Corona if I was in Italy before mid February would be insured. Travel today - no.

Be safe and double check.

3 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

I also have the Nationwide plan for my June 2020 AK cruise. I bought it prior to COVID outbreak. Good to hear about the advisories.

I called them today to make sure if I had to change my flights because of COVID quarantine I would be covered. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pickels said:

There is a possibility that the policy could be transferred to a future cruise if you cancel.

Thank you for your reply...My question is more specifically related to the State Department / CDC advisory of "stay off cruise ships" and how it relates to cruise insurance being sold, or already purchased. Is the insurance even usable during this period we've been instructed to stay off cruise ships. Corona virus aside, if we go on this cruise and god forbid we have a medical / family emergency that requires us to cut our cruise short, is our travel insurance still good when the State Department / CDC has issued an advisory to stay away from boarding a cruise ship in the US? This came up previously during the H1N1 cruise we had. Insurance docs / web-site doesn't cover and our TA hasn't answered as of yet. 

3 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

But, I'm not sure how this cruise advisory will be handled since it is not listed as a CDC travel warning (level 2, level 3, level 4) on their sire. Just and advisory sent out without a level attached to it.

Exactly, an advisory without a level is difficult to interpret from an insurance coverage standpoint. My insurance web-site referenced a not covered for China level 4, but this one has nothing attached to it. It's troubling if I spent $175 for insurance that may be worthless. 

3 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

I also have the Nationwide plan for my June 2020 AK cruise. I bought it prior to COVID outbreak. Good to hear about the advisories.

I called them today to make sure if I had to change my flights because of COVID quarantine I would be covered. 

Does your insurance cover flight change fees?