Can you request a refund instead if already cancelled?

My family was scheduled to cruise on the March 15th Harmony cruise but we cancelled a week before the 48 hr cutoff time for FCC.  As this cruise is now officially cancelled by RCI, can we change from a FCC to refund?  We're worried we won't be able to use the FCC as they only give you until Dec 31/2021.  Any chance RCI may extend the expiry date longer, say 2 or 3 years to use.  How does everybody else feel about that?  Has anybody who cancelled earlier on one of the affected cruises consider requesting a refund instead or getting the higher FCC?  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, cidymom said:

My family was scheduled to cruise on the March 15th Harmony cruise but we cancelled a week before the 48 hr cutoff time for FCC.  As this cruise is now officially cancelled by RCI, can we change from a FCC to refund?  We're worried we won't be able to use the FCC as they only give you until Dec 31/2021.  Any chance RCI may extend the expiry date longer, say 2 or 3 years to use.  How does everybody else feel about that?  Has anybody who cancelled earlier on one of the affected cruises consider requesting a refund instead or getting the higher FCC?  Thanks.

Some have tried, but no one has been successful that I know.

I haven’t seen anything official from Royal  but I have from Celebrity and they say .....those that voluntarily cancelled prior to the cruise lines cancelling sailings are bound by the terms that they cancelled under.

I expect the same from Royal 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I did not cancel by April 9 and thus I had a choice between full refund or 125% future cruise credit.  I opted for the refund as I have a June 12 cruise too and fully expect that will cancel also.  I would suspect Ken has supplied the correct answer as he usually does.

We were supposed to cruise on April 5.  As soon as they put out that "requirement" for people over 70 to get a DR note, I figured they were trying to "force" people into canceling and taking the credits because they were getting close to canceling everything.

If I had up until April 2 to cancel, why would I call IMMEDIATELY, as the notice told me to do?  They have canceled for a few weeks, but this virus thing is going to last at least 2 months.  And, I really don't know how fast the cruise industry will recover.  The Princess quarantines really frightened people and made them consider the possible dangers of getting ill on a ship.  USA citizens who are over 70 might remember when A&P could not sell anymore of their tuna and dropped the product totally.

My problem now is trying to get DELTA to give us vouchers for our 8 rt tickets to the cruise.  Those cost almost as much as the cruise and we may be out all of that money.