******MSC - UK CRUISERS ***

Host Carolyn

On 4/27/2024 at 2:57 PM, notley-cruise said:

Good Old British Pounds Sterling

Is this correct as I just saw a 2024 drinks menu in Euros 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 84k said:

Yes.   Everything on Virtuosa while she is sailing out of Southampton is in Sterling.

Edited by showingdiva

18 hours ago, 84k said:

If it is a closed loop sailing out of Southampton, i.e. everyone embarks and disembarks there , currency onboard is Sterling. If it is one of the itineraries where folk can join in Hamburg, Rotterdam etc the currency onboard is Euros.

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

If it is a closed loop sailing out of Southampton, i.e. everyone embarks and disembarks there , currency onboard is Sterling. If it is one of the itineraries where folk can join in Hamburg, Rotterdam etc the currency onboard is Euros.

I thought it might be that when Virtuosa is ‘Home Ported’ at Southampton it is UK currency and when she her Home Port is Hamburg it is Euros. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

Is there any reason why there are no reviews of MSC Cruises from Southampton on this thread?

Because it's a remnant from early Covid-19 and really has little purpose now.  Most people will start their own review thread or post it in the reviews section of Cruise Critic. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cockneyjock said:

What's Boarding, Disembarking Virtuosa at Southampton like now. Last year was a nightmare.

Alan.

Embarkation - very slick.   I went from getting out the taxi, dropping off luggage, through security, check in and air bridge, and on to the ship in 9 minutes.  I did the online check in, and the actual check in desk only want to see your passport and boarding pass.    Cruise cards are attached to the cabin door, where you can go first, drop off any hand luggage, use the safe, even if the room isn't fully ready and go get some lunch.

I only ever do self-disembarkation, and I was off the ship without a queue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Embarkation - very slick.   I went from getting out the taxi, dropping off luggage, through security, check in and air bridge, and on to the ship in 9 minutes.  I did the online check in, and the actual check in desk only want to see your passport and boarding pass.    Cruise cards are attached to the cabin door, where you can go first, drop off any hand luggage, use the safe, even if the room isn't fully ready and go get some lunch.

I only ever do self-disembarkation, and I was off the ship without a queue.

Now THATS what I can slick!! 👌

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2024 at 11:29 AM, cockneyjock said:

What's Boarding, Disembarking Virtuosa at Southampton like now. Last year was a nightmare.

Alan.

I find the only time it is a nightmare are the short,   closed loop Southampton trips, all the others where people get on and  off at the  different ports are a breeze. 

If everyone stuck to their embarkation times the closed loop cruises wouldn't be such a problem.  

We have done several MSC cruises out of Southampton , the 5 day trip we did in May last year  was like queuing for a Disney ride , Euribia in March this year was a delight , on the ship from arrival to a bar  was as fast as I could walk , 😆 

Edited by heatherb1958

Hello all,

going on the MSC Preziosa soon. Can I ask a couple of questions.

what is the arcade like? Some people online claim it’s just a few games, not worth the money but these are poor reviews so not sure if they are just saying this to make it sound worse than it is? 

also I saw that MSC said they do a beer festival on board? How do you take part in that?

finally is there theme nights and do you find out before on when you are on board? 

many thanks

SF

I've never used the arcade but if you search on you tube there'll be some full ship tours, you'll be able to see what's in the arcade. 

Usually, any special events like a beer festival will be listed in the daily planner or advertised to book once onboard. 

The nights are also advised in the planner once onboard. There will be a white night. Usually, that's only the main one people dress for. Mediterranean night is a standard one too. You might get a 60'/70's/80's night too. 

• 1 month later...

Does MSC UK cruises require cruise insurance or do you need just valid passport and visa?

I know it's a good idea to have insurance and we will get it just wanted to see if they have same policy as P&O and will deny boarding if you do not have correct insurance.

2 hours ago, moon_dust said:

Does MSC UK cruises require cruise insurance or do you need just valid passport and visa?

I know it's a good idea to have insurance and we will get it just wanted to see if they have same policy as P&O and will deny boarding if you do not have correct insurance.

The last few occasions, have only been asked for passport and boarding letter.

Others may disagree, but insurance is crucial.   My own personal view as a UK resident is that it should be mandatory.   No insurance - no leaving the country.   If the holiday can be afforded, so can the insurance.

Relieved to hear you're buying it.   Have a great cruise.

11 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

The last few occasions, have only been asked for passport and boarding letter.

Others may disagree, but insurance is crucial.   My own personal view as a UK resident is that it should be mandatory.   No insurance - no leaving the country.   If the holiday can be afforded, so can the insurance.

Relieved to hear you're buying it.   Have a great cruise.

Thanks. As a UK resident getting insurance for myself is easy. It's proving to be a bit tricky for my mum as she is not UK resident. The insurance she is being offered only gives cover for 100k where for P&O a minimum is 2 mil. She is being assured by the insurance provider that her cover is enough for emergency evacuation and repatriation and all the medical stuff but we are now getting worried that we will be denied boarding. That's why I'm wondering if MSC will be checking insurance before boarding.

18 minutes ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Looking at some Cruise Critic threads on evacuation costs I would also be nervous whether £100k cover would be sufficient. 

Oh, that doesn't sound good at all. I'm wondering if the reason she is only being offered 100k is because she is EU citizen and the cruise we are planing to take is going to EU counties only, maybe evacuation is cheaper within the EU?

1 hour ago, moon_dust said:

Thanks. As a UK resident getting insurance for myself is easy. It's proving to be a bit tricky for my mum as she is not UK resident. The insurance she is being offered only gives cover for 100k where for P&O a minimum is 2 mil. She is being assured by the insurance provider that her cover is enough for emergency evacuation and repatriation and all the medical stuff but we are now getting worried that we will be denied boarding. That's why I'm wondering if MSC will be checking insurance before boarding.

No, they won't check your actual policy.   Assuming you are leaving from Southampton Horizon, you give them your large luggage, then proceed through the passenger entrance with any hand luggage, your passport and the boarding pass you need to print off.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider £100k enough either.   If for no other reason, maybe ask for a definitive breakdown of cover from the insurance company, not a verbal confirmation.