Cruise Ships are still in New Zealand waters today - 15th March 2020

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The world has changed I am afraid . 
The great fear is what is coming .

Here's the thing. All these restrictions will not stop the virus. As we have seen, people may not know they have been in contact with an infected person, and the test for the virus is not 100% accurate. What the restrictions do is slow the spread down. 24 million Australians X 60% going to get the virus X 20% needing hospitalisation is about 2.9 million people. 

2.9 million people.

If that happened in 1 month... We have all seen the future dystopian movies, only this is a supercharged cold rather than a zombie apocalypse. Point is, the slower the virus passes from person to person, the better we are able to deal with it.

My son and his wife are on their honeymoon on Celebrity Solstice and they were able to make all the port stops in New Zealand, but will make no stops in Australia! They called me Friday night to see if I could change their flight home. They were planing to spend a few extra days in Sydney, but the AirBnB they booked was in the heart of the virus outbreak so they wanted me to book them home when they port on March 20. So I did, and then we find out Australia has shut down their ports and they will not port in Australia. Just grateful they can go straight to the airport and not do anything outside the airport! They have enjoyed their trip with no issues with Celebrity!!

12 minutes ago, JetCruister said:

My son and his wife are on their honeymoon on Celebrity Solstice and they were able to make all the port stops in New Zealand, but will make no stops in Australia! They called me Friday night to see if I could change their flight home. They were planing to spend a few extra days in Sydney, but the AirBnB they booked was in the heart of the virus outbreak so they wanted me to book them home when they port on March 20. So I did, and then we find out Australia has shut down their ports and they will not port in Australia. Just grateful they can go straight to the airport and not do anything outside the airport! They have enjoyed their trip with no issues with Celebrity!!

Hope they get home safely and virus free.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

But not everyone will need extended hospitalisation and even fewer need ventilation machines.

That's the number of hospitalisations, under cme2c's maths, to which you were responding in my quoted post. 

Personally, I don't think that 20% will require hospitalisation. Overseas stats indicate that it's closer to 10%. That's still very, very ugly as far as the maths is concerned.