A DIVERSION

SoDakPirate

I am "stealing " this from another Board..  As a diversion from all the COVID-19 talk on the boards and on TV, let's discuss (and add photos if possible )the most memorable things from our past Viking Cruises. I will start with our first Viking cruise "Barcelona, the Baltics and Beyond on the Sky in April, 2017.  Many things stand out but standing on our veranda as we were the first ship of the season to sail through the Kiel Canal and for hours we were welcomed by people waving and cheering as we sailed past their homes.  Another memory as we returned from an all day included train excursion to Berlin that ran several hours late due to train troubles, we were welcomed by the entire crew with champagne, beer, sausages, an oompah band and many of the crew dancing and singing. It is a major undertaking to do this but yet the crew was so gracious. In 2019, we did a back to back -Southeast Asia & Hong Kong and Far East Horizons.  The first started in Bangkok and ended in Hong Kong.  Great memories of the streets of Ho Chi Minh City, the Mekong Delta, the magnificent landscape of Ha Long Bay and sailing into Hong Kong. On the second leg the people of Japan amazed me. Whether it was Nagasaki or Hiroshima or Shimizu or Tokyo we were warmly and genuinely welcomed.  Next month we were schedule to take a Viking River cruise to China. When that was scrubbed we booked a Viking ocean cruise "Into the Midnight Sun" from Norway, Scotland and ending in London in early June.  Who knows if that will happen.  I do know that additional Viking cruises will be in our future as our best memory is not the places but the people - especially the Viking crew that we met - and hopefully will see again.

• Like 3

We were on Barcelona, the Baltics and Beyond. Remember the guy standing outside playing the trombone as we sailed by in the archipelago? And the CD Aaron Syfert had such a wonderful voice. The Broadway show that they put on in the atrium? And in the Bay of Biscay they put away everything glass in our cabin, even the soap holder. A poor lady next to me at dinner in the World Cafe jumped up and vomited in the aisle. A hazmat crew was there within 3 minutes. Her husband and my husband and I just kept eating (I'm in health care). She was from Australia and so embarrassed but we just laughed it off. It was a great trip and got us hooked on Viking. Went on Auckland to Bali last year exactly at this time (keeps popping up on my Facebook). Hopefully we're going Rome to Miami in October.

• Like 1

Just today I called Viking to request the cash refund for our Paris to the Swiss Alps river cruise that was canceled for April 11. We took the cash rather than the higher value future cruise credit because we will use the money to pay the final balance due April 28 for one of our two booked Viking cruises. They were very efficient and gracious, and the money should be back in our hands in time for the payment that is due.

Our first ever ocean cruise was the Empires of the Mediterranean on the Viking Sky when she was nearly brand new. It was a practically perfect vacation, with beautiful weather and wonderful ports. The only thing better was the people we met, both guests and crew. The only blip was a missed connection in Frankfurt on our way home, but even that didn't dampen our enthusiasm. Dubrovnik was like walking into another world, and visiting  Santorini as the only ship in port that day was like a dream. We never thought we were cruise people, and maybe we are not, but we are definitely Viking cruise people, and hope to be so for many more trips to come.

Thank you for the diversion!!!!! I'll play!!

Oddly enough we did both our first River and our first Ocean with my brother- and sister-in-law. A number of anniversaries ago, we started the tradition of celebrating the round anniversaries together and over the years we have done a handful of these trips. Our anniversaries are 5 years and a week apart.

Our first River was China's Imperial Delights (2010) and our first Ocean was Into the Midnight Sun (2016). We should be sailing together this year but since it is a really big one they are taking their kids and grand-kids on the Mississippi in July, maybe.

Proof that school boys are the same world-wide. Caught during our school visit:

IMG_19290.thumb.jpg.0b5bd2d23656e0def0abbcd84ff94ac9.jpg

Just one of many, many, many photos of the beautiful scenery of Norway. This is Alesund, which was our first stop in Norway. It is no longer on the Midnight Sun itinerary.

1027477058__DSC9358dehaze.thumb.jpg.11cca7794ce73e08f50b5bcd7b186d01.jpg

GREAT IDEA  I need a diversion ....we should have been enroute to Barcelona from San Juan today.

We were on that Barcelona, the Baltics and Beyond!!!! What a great introduction to Viking Ocean it was!   In addition to the memories of SouthDakPirate and StretchCruz I remember:

Jane from an English TV travel show was aboard...My husband and I has very small shots on the broadcast!

Our balcony (not into the room) window shattered ( stayed in place though) during rough waters on the Sea of Biscaye

Our  friend spent a day in the hospital in Copenhagen (he was fine but had gallbladder surgery when we returned home... so did I .... we did not want a problem while our next Viking adventure which was the Inaugural WC) the hospital in Copenhagen could not figure out how to bill him for the multiple tests!!!  " Sir, there is no charge ....we have no way of billing..."

Peregrina, we will no doubt have to cancel our Midnight Sun (June) and Undiscovered China (October) so your pictures will keep us interested.  I wonder why that beautiful city is no longer on the itinerary.

We have enjoyed ALL of our Viking Adventures both Ocean and River!  Can't wait to reschedule and use our Vouchers in the future!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, deec said:

I wonder why that beautiful city is no longer on the itinerary.

When they got docking in Greenwich which allowed them to have an overnight in London, they had to jigger some things around. Four of the ports that we did were jettisoned: Alesund🙁, Bodo🙁, Bronnoysund🙁 and Kristiansund😐. Maybe people did really want to see some of the more out of the way places that Viking was offering.

However, Alesund is part of Iceland's Majestic Landscapes -- that hopefully we will be enjoying at the beginning of June.

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Maybe people did really want to see some of the more out of the way places that Viking was offering.

OOPS.  I left out the "not" in that sentence:

Maybe people did not really want to see some of the more out of the way places that Viking was offering.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:23 PM, deec said:

GREAT IDEA  I need a diversion ....we should have been enroute to Barcelona from San Juan today.

We were on that Barcelona, the Baltics and Beyond!!!! What a great introduction to Viking Ocean it was!   In addition to the memories of SouthDakPirate and StretchCruz I remember:

Jane from an English TV travel show was aboard...My husband and I has very small shots on the broadcast!

Our balcony (not into the room) window shattered ( stayed in place though) during rough waters on the Sea of Biscaye

Our  friend spent a day in the hospital in Copenhagen (he was fine but had gallbladder surgery when we returned home... so did I .... we did not want a problem while our next Viking adventure which was the Inaugural WC) the hospital in Copenhagen could not figure out how to bill him for the multiple tests!!!  " Sir, there is no charge ....we have no way of billing..."

Peregrina, we will no doubt have to cancel our Midnight Sun (June) and Undiscovered China (October) so your pictures will keep us interested.  I wonder why that beautiful city is no longer on the itinerary.

We have enjoyed ALL of our Viking Adventures both Ocean and River!  Can't wait to reschedule and use our Vouchers in the future!

Yup, Dee, you were doing laundry and your husband on the balcony. Our friends were in it as well, she went to their stateroom for drinks.  Cruising with Jane Macdonald was the name of the show. She just now didn't renew her contract to do it. She's been doing it for years. I didn't know about your friend in Copenhagen! Imagine not getting a hospital bill here!😁😁😁😁

• Like 1

We did Israel, Egypt and Jordan with Viking and the whole 24 days were amazing but three of the most memorable moments were riding a camel 2 miles to the pyramids, visiting the Temple mount and Petra.

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

• Like 3

I’ve only done one cruise before and it was on On the Coral Princess to Alaska.... but I’m going to include some photos since Viking is cruising there now. 

One of my husband and I enjoying the view as we sale away from Glacier Bay. We found a “secret” back deck at the end of a hallway. Only a handful of people were out there. 

The others are from a helicopter flight to a glacier where we road on some dog sleds. 

Enjoy,

8CBDD307-D1EF-4992-ADE3-2D8CF4BB4774.jpeg

7C76E63B-CF14-4868-9AEE-B2B87B3D088B.jpeg

9888C837-9D3F-4FBB-AB69-50AF583D50C8.jpeg

02E21347-B3D3-4BE6-AF44-2B50087EB152.jpeg

• Like 1

We have had many great experiences with Viking cruises over the years.  They are easily our favorite cruise line.  Our memorable experience is a little unique.  Last March 23rd, we were on the Viking Sky - In Search of the Northern Lights Cruise, when we had to be evacuated by helicopter due to the ship losing power during a gale.  Scary but handled great by Viking in every way.  While many people have heard about this episode, very few realize it happened near the end of our cruise.  There were many great and beautiful sights along the cruise, and Norway is breathtaking.  Attached you will find three of many pictures I captured on the trip.  Great topic by the way!!  Johneb2

2S9A9257 Narvik __fm.jpg

2S9A9286el __fm.jpg

2S9A9732el __fm.jpg

• Like 4