Millie to Alaska 5/29 to 6/5

TeanneTX

My SIL and I are booked (and totally paid for) on an Alaska cruise on the Millie plus we have a 6 day pre-cruise tour through RCCL.  The cruise portion starts in Seward and ends in Vancouver.  The pre-cruise tour is the usual to Denali and Alyeska with tours, transportation and hotels.  Everything is already paid for including several private tours while on the cruise.  I haven't heard anything from X about a cancellation.  Haven't talked to my TA about it (she's on vacation in Alaska) yet but will next week.

Do you think theres any chance this cruise will still sail-with Canada being closed to cruises until July?  Wondering if they could just end in Seattle instead.  I know theres some federal law against that but maybe there will be exceptions made for these circumstances. 

Also does anyone know about cancelling airfare when you book with points.  I'm on Delta for the flights but they all stop in Seattle so if they disembark in Seattle I wouldn't have to change my flights.

Whats your opinion

Teanne

not a chance this cruise will go.  when they cancel it take the refund.  

pretty sure Delta is allowing refunds of award tickets with no penalty, but look online to make sure.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teanne-

Three things here.

As for Delta think you need to look at their website. Their policy is different depending on the type of ticket. There are multiple fares even with points. Look at the letter code on your ticket.

For private excursions, you might contact the providers. Make sure that they and others understand your situation and if they will cancel if you don't cruise.

As for the cruise, until the virus is gone - not just slowed - there cannot be any cruises. The events of the last couple weeks have shown what happens with even the possibility of covid.

I am on this same cruise, had it booked since Nov 9, 2018 while on board a Celebrity sailing. We also have a pre-cruise 9 day land portion on our own. Last week I cancelled private excursions with no penalties, and already the money posted back to the credit card. I even cancelled Celebrity excursions and the money also was returned and posted to my credit card.  We had 2 AirBnB booked and the Seward location has already cancelled all their bookings thru the summer.  Therefore all the Seward booking money including the Air BnB service charge was returned.

We though about completing the land portion and getting this experience checked off, then complete a Seattle Alaska round trip another year.  But believe Delta will probably adjust their schedules, meaning our flights may not be there.  The cruise insurance from a 3rd party provider hopefully will be returned when Celebrity cancels this cruise.

Once the cruise is officially cancelled, I will seek a cruise refund, have the Delta award tickets return to my sky miles account, and process a refund request on the cruise insurance, and have the host cancel our AirBnB so the money is returned,.  The host has already suggested she will do the cancellation.  Least I not forget cancelling the Hertz rent a car.  So, at the end of day I am out the $89.99 for purchasing the Alaskan TourSaver online app and the 4 Perks at a great price along with the booking onboard credit.   We still have a glimmer of hope to maybe consider the land portion, but that will be a game time decision.  Sorry for the long post but I hope my decision making may help others.