Odds of April 11 Tampa Rhapsody

The cruise lines are playing wAit and see. Princess was smart enough to cancel for 60 days while the majority of the rest went for  the April 11th date. Now it is a game of chicken - everybody is waiting to see who will cancel first - then the rest will fall like dominoes - then the chaos begins all over again.

given the nightmare that is befalling Europe - and the initial seeds here in North America - September 1st will be a possible start up date.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JPSemprini said:

Based on the responses in this thread, most of you agree that cruises won't begin until much later.  Does anyone think that RCI hasn't already made that decision?  I understand their reasoning, but if that is true, does anyone else think it's pretty crappy of them to delay announcing it? 

Yes. Totally crappy. I check each day to see if the suspension date gets pushed back. It's not going to happen and they need to just deal with it.

Spain have announced an extension to the 'state of emergency' until April 12, whilst Italian PM is likening it to WW2 and shutting all non-critical businesses until April 3. The likelihood of ships heading to Europe anytime soon are slim I think (and would hope). 

Edited by Mark_UK

2 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Spain have announced an extension to the 'state of emergency' until April 12, whilst Italian PM is likening it to WW2 and shutting all non-critical businesses until April 3. The likelihood of ships heading to Europe anytime soon are slim I think (and would hope). 

My hope is for a shortend season as of July, but also this will depend on how things will develop over the comming months. I gues RCL can decide until approx end of May if they would go ahead with a shortened version in Europe or would actually even need to cancel completely.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 2:18 AM, flyguyjake said:

Given that Wuhan is 4 months into this and still under quarantine, I say we're 6 months out at a minimum. We still have 7 states with ZERO covid restrictions. Some Governors just aren't taking this seriously. It's really a shame the Federal Government didn't just shut down the entire US for 3 weeks. We would have had a much better chance at attacking this head on instead of from behind like we are now. It's widespread in EVERY state. Just because they aren't testing in your state, doesn't mean it's not already widespread in your state. Be safe, self quarantine as much as you possibly can.

Agreed 100% with all of this. Until they are unified in their approach they as delaying the slowdown and it will just drag out further. 

23 hours ago, LXA350 said:

As it seems at the moment cruises can earliest commence during May and more realistically as of begining of June. Also here time will tell, at this stage the peak of the curve was not yet reached which likely will be in april and then it depends on how fast new cases will go down to have total active cases reduced etc. Taking China as a benchmark two months need to be given, hence for the US roughly it would be all of March and April, with things getting under control during May. A simmilar trend we could see in Europe.

I would tend to trust the European curve more than the one in China. We know the true trend in Europe, where as we have to take the word of China at face value. I only suggest there may have been a difference in the beginning of their reporting to after when the world was aware of what was going on. 

22 hours ago, time4u2go said:

China did it in two months with a strongly enforced lockdown. I'm not sure that will happen in the US

IMO it would have to be extremely serious to se this happen in the States. 

4 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Do not be to sure of anything coming out of China...They knowingly spread this virus worldwide and refused any help to try to combat it when they FINALLY reported it.  THEY AND THEY ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KILLING THE WORLD...

I agreed to a point.

IMO once it started to hit Europe,  North America should have been preparing immediately at 100%. 6 weeks have been lost already, from February to last week, and it appears as though efforts here still have a lot of room for improvement. 

17 hours ago, LXA350 said:

My hope is for a shortend season as of July, but also this will depend on how things will develop over the comming months. I gues RCL can decide until approx end of May if they would go ahead with a shortened version in Europe or would actually even need to cancel completely.

No they can not decide until May as the transatlantic is scheduled for April 18. I am sure the decision has been made already in RCCL HQ but they remain tight-lipped. They still sell the old itineraries although they will not send the Rh to Europe anytime soon. Its all about collecting cash as long as possible and later change them into FCCs.

That is indeed a terrible transparency communication by RCCL. They still lure paying customers on Rh , knowing that Europe will not be ready until summer. Corona numbers are skyrocketing here in Europe with drastic government regulations following suit.

RCCL's game with customers is cruel as they know the European season 2020 is lost.