Changes in Onboard Behavior & Procedures after Cruises restart sailing again...

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I would like to think that COVID will make individuals that didn't take hand washing and hygine more serious about it. 

Unfortunately a segment of the cruisers we sail with are clueless or unlearned when it comes to hygiene.

9 hours ago, time4u2go said:

While having handwashing stations and sanitizer at the entrance does help somewhat, I really don't think it helps much.  Short of having staff serve the food, there really is no way to make a significant difference, in my opinion.

This is a MAJOR factor imho. Most of the higher end cruise lines do not allow anyone to touch the food in the buffet, ever.

By the way A&L, do you remember a year'ish or so ago the many threads popping up about the WJ vs. MDR, and hygiene came up in those threads. I went blissfully and ignorantly along my way to the WJ until that point, however on my next couple of cruises I really watched for a minute or so to see what people do. It's definitely a minority, but I tell you what it'll make you put your plate down and walk out which is really sad... I've been liking the WJ up until last year.

So my challenge for you is to observe on your next cruise your fellow cruisers in the WJ, and come back here on CC to let us know what you think.

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

+1.

My wife tells me she sees women also walking out of the restrooms without washing their hands too.

9 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Yes me too, I try to block it out of my memory but ye I see it too. 🤢

+3. 

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 3

On 3/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, cured said:

On our med cruise last summer, they were already manning the self-serve ice cream stations. There was an employee making the cones for everyone.

I can't see them staffing each station in the Windjammer unless customers are willing to pay an increase in their cruise fares to pay for extra staff.

Not sure how they can control people coughing or sneezing in the theaters?

Everything else, there needs to be some personal responsibility:

Wipe down machines yourself before you use them.  Everyone I know does this at the local gyms. You can't monitor everyone and you can't trust someone wiped it down.

Pools and hot tubs are regulated with chemicals to kill bacteria.  Whether one thinks that is sufficient or not is up to each cruiser.  I am not sure how they monitor that every person showers before entering?  More staff again?  Public and private pools can't even do that.  It is up to the consumer to decide whether they want to enjoy the pool or hot tub.  Same with steam rooms. For every person who thinks they are germ tanks, there is an equal customer that would be incensed that they are removed. Personal responsibility. 

Never use water fountains anywhere. They are the germiest things around.  Pack a water bottle that you fill in your cabin before you leave.

I personally think what they are doing is better than most land based buffets, gyms, pools and other customer based venues.  I agree more wash stations are a good idea as is more stringent requirements of washy washy upon entering. But again, personal responsibility. If a customer doesn't trust the Windjammer, there are plenty of other options to get food.

Well said

14 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

I have wished for years that they would put hand washing stations in the buffet, not only at the entrance, but also throughout in a couple of spots, as well as sanitizer throughout.  Even if you wash your hands when you come in, then you touch all the tongs and then pick your pizza up?  YUCK.

To start with you should not eat any items at WJ where you need to use your hands. This is as good as it can get for precaution, also not ideal and still puts you at cetain risk but reduces it significantly.

Also for the future this will be the best way, since the large cruise lines will not be able to implement more measures, except for making sure everyone sanitizes their hands at the entrance but what happens after they can't control. Due to cost reasons they will not have staff serving the food.