Changes in Onboard Behavior & Procedures after Cruises restart sailing again...

7 minutes ago, villager70 said:

Hi Cruisers:   Just a little info on the new hand washing stations on ships on our last  four cruises. I think it is a great idea but the only thing  that  bothered me after they wash their hand  and pass the one or two washey, washey, singers several times there were no sanitizer  offered or sprayed in hands. They go up to a buffet with clean hands ,and no germ killing sanitizer, and grab the serving utensil. 

Fully agree with you, firstly even when people do use those stations many don't wash their hands properly and the whole process is not hygienic at all. It must be mandatory that after getting our from the washi washi MC Drive that someone will be standing with either the liquid  in hands or next to a dispenser to make them disinfect their hands again. This is the only effective way for ensuring that the hands are clean.

12 minutes ago, villager70 said:

Hi Cruisers:   Just a little info on the new hand washing stations on ships on our last  four cruises. I think it is a great idea but the only thing  that  bothered me after they wash their hand  and pass the one or two washey, washey, singers several times there were no sanitizer  offered or sprayed in hands. They go up to a buffet with clean hands ,and no germ killing sanitizer, and grab the serving utensil. 

While having handwashing stations and sanitizer at the entrance does help somewhat, I really don't think it helps much.  People could walk into the buffet area with completely sterile hands, but once they have gotten their food and sit down to eat, they inevitably will touch their face or pick their nose or whatever, then go back up to get more food.  Short of having staff serve the food, there really is no way to make a significant difference, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I should’ve always been routine. I see men walking out of restrooms without washing. 

I've seen women not wash their hands after using the bathroom! 🤭 

This virus is such a sad situation and I find myself SMH daily now at people thinking hand washing or doing their best to avoid any type of germs is a new concept.  I'm not OCD (well maybe a little) but choose to think of it as using common sense.  I was 25, pregnant w/2nd child & a male coworker coughed in his hands then reached in my popcorn bag.  Almost hurled.  Gave him the bag to finish.  Thought process after that was did he wash his hands after the bathroom???  Who touched that salt & pepper shaker or condiment bottle on the table at a restaurant b4 me??  Use napkins for those things & buffet spoons, knuckles for buttons, sleeves & bottom of shirt for door knobs, or the hips God blessed me with to push open a door.   Becomes 2nd nature after a while.  No, I can't keep germs from my hands everywhere (shopping for instance) but it's the simple, little things that add up.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Well I thought this before all this, EVERYONE in the buffet should have to put on latex gloves when using the tongs or handling food in the buffet. Then take them off to eat, go back up and get another pair. That has to happen, make sure everyone does this. This is a cheap solution for the cruise line too. 

All it takes is for a person to cough in their gloved hand to get germs etc on the glove.  Then using the tongs, next person uses tongs and put their hand near their face.  So it would be no different ungloved hands.  A nurse on another thread mentioned this.

The better idea is to ensure everyone washes their hands or have attendants handing out the food.

• Like 2

Just now, gatour said:

All it takes is for a person to cough in their gloved hand to get germs etc on the glove.  Then using the tongs, next person uses tongs and put their hand near their face.  So it would be no different ungloved hands.  A nurse on another thread mentioned this.

The better idea is to ensure everyone washes their hands or have attendants handing out the food.

Yeah that is true. Also if someone sneezes in their hands or coughs and touches anything they should be beaten over the head, virus or no virus. Anthem has that washing station before entering the buffet, I love that. 

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I should’ve always been routine. I see men walking out of restrooms without washing.

+1.

My wife tells me she sees women also walking out of the restrooms without washing their hands too.

• Like 4

No matter what one does, some Human behavior will never change. We were on the last cruise on Rhapsody, shut down when we got off in Tampa. During the cruise Some still would not use the hand sanitizer, some still got stupid, some still did not care what the did at the buffet and on and on. The crew did a very outstanding job keeping it clean and encouraging sanitize, many cases to no avail, and believe the crew tried. Passengers may need to step up and call some people out, but not sure that would not create more problems. Human beings

are going to do what they do, some the hell with everyone else

Lots of great ideas here.

I'm looking for constructive comments/ideas that the cruise lines may have to implement, without adding much more staff.

First, only route to get to the buffet, thru the water hand wash station, & the same One "washy, washy" staff at the exit member can ensure, before entering buffet.  That'll take care of 95%+ of the problem.

Second, with today's technology, they can switch to  new-age anti-bacterial plastic tongs, sitting in clean resting plate, under anti-bacterial UV lamp.

Elevator buttons can be replaced with motion sensor activated buttons, without having to have physical contact with the button.  Of course, sensor must be very sensitive as not to light up all floor if my fat rearend back up into it, lol.

FDA just approved a new Coronavirus test that have results in less than 15 minutes.  With future improvements, all cruisers should be tested for ALL virus & flu symptoms upon boarding in a quick & accurate process, instead of a silly "trust me" form stating that you're not sick & not just allergies/sinus.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Lots of great ideas here.

I'm looking for constructive comments/ideas that the cruise lines may have to implement, without adding much more staff.

First, only route to get to the buffet, thru the water hand wash station, & the same One "washy, washy" staff at the exit member can ensure, before entering buffet.  That'll take care of 95%+ of the problem.

Second, with today's technology, they can switch to  new-age anti-bacterial plastic tongs, sitting in clean resting plate, under anti-bacterial UV lamp.

Elevator buttons can be replaced with motion sensor activated buttons, without having to have physical contact with the button.  Of course, sensor must be very sensitive as not to light up all floor if my fat rearend back up into it, lol.

FDA just approved a new Coronavirus test that have results in less than 15 minutes.  With future improvements, all cruisers should be tested for ALL virus & flu symptoms upon boarding in a quick & accurate process, instead of a silly "trust me" form stating that you're not sick & not just allergies/sinus.

I respectfully disagree.  People can walk into the buffet with completely clean hands, but once they are in there, they can and will touch their faces and anything else, then go right back up to the buffet and touch the shared serving utensils.

• Like 3

gatour and cured...I'm usually smiling and being a bit sarcastic when I write something...self-deprecating...just wanted to add a bit of humor...but it didn't come across that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IcanSeaclearlynow said:

I've seen women not wash their hands after using the bathroom! 🤭 

This virus is such a sad situation and I find myself SMH daily now at people thinking hand washing or doing their best to avoid any type of germs is a new concept.  I'm not OCD (well maybe a little) but choose to think of it as using common sense.  I was 25, pregnant w/2nd child & a male coworker coughed in his hands then reached in my popcorn bag.  Almost hurled.  Gave him the bag to finish.  Thought process after that was did he wash his hands after the bathroom???  Who touched that salt & pepper shaker or condiment bottle on the table at a restaurant b4 me??  Use napkins for those things & buffet spoons, knuckles for buttons, sleeves & bottom of shirt for door knobs, or the hips God blessed me with to push open a door.   Becomes 2nd nature after a while.  No, I can't keep germs from my hands everywhere (shopping for instance) but it's the simple, little things that add up.  

You forgot some of my worst fear, flush handles on toilets or urinals , sink faucet handles, and bathroom door handles.

5 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

I'm thinking the attendant giving you the hand towel in the bathrooms should monitor the washing of hands in the bathrooms. If you refuse to wash your hands you will be quarantined to your room for 3 days. I have witnessed many who don't wash their hands. Disgusting!!!

My husband complains to me that alot of men don't wash their hands.  In all fairness I have seen the occasional female also not wash their hands.  

51 minutes ago, sea shepherd said:

but just for us, we don't get into the hot tubs, pools, steamrooms, etc. anymore, since my spouseconsiders them cesspools for germs & othernastyness. 

I had to stop reading after this. 
“your spouse says”? 🙄

Same here for hot tubs.  Gyno told me years ago he didn't care how much places say they clean them - "stay out".  Duly noted doc! 

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

You forgot some of my worst fear, flush handles on toilets or urinals , sink faucet handles, and bathroom door handles.

Oh yeah, I use my foot for that toilet handle (I've learned I have some pretty good balancing skills even after a few 😂).  Now those knobs & handles - those can create some problems 😉

I use my foot also! I hate the toilets with the automatic sensors!  Just when I get the paper a$$ gasket in place and turn to sit down I'll be darned if it doesn't flush sucking the gasket down!!! What a dilemma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A way to sanitize the menus between use.  After ordering my husband & I would sanitize our hands before eating.

I could almost see all the germs/bacteria crawling on the menus.  Sanitize the salt/pepper shakers (not sure how or just

change them frequently) the butter dishes, etc,etc.  Lots of places are germy for sure.  The buffet tongs are especially one

thing that are pretty gross.  Guess would just look out for myself and sanitize often.

13 minutes ago, sdrocks said:

A way to sanitize the menus between use.  After ordering my husband & I would sanitize our hands before eating.

I could almost see all the germs/bacteria crawling on the menus.  Sanitize the salt/pepper shakers (not sure how or just

change them frequently) the butter dishes, etc,etc.  Lots of places are germy for sure.  The buffet tongs are especially one

thing that are pretty gross.  Guess would just look out for myself and sanitize often.

Also chairs/armrests.  Who doesn't adjust their chair when sitting down to eat.

24 minutes ago, sdrocks said:

They could sanitize a lot of the stuff with medical grade uv light box. It’s only takes 30 sec of light to kill 99.98%

• Like 2

I have wished for years that they would put hand washing stations in the buffet, not only at the entrance, but also throughout in a couple of spots, as well as sanitizer throughout.  Even if you wash your hands when you come in, then you touch all the tongs and then pick your pizza up?  YUCK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sea shepherd said:

but just for us, we don't get into the hot tubs, pools, steamrooms, etc. anymore, since my spouseconsiders them cesspools for germs & othernastyness. 

I had to stop reading after this. 
“your spouse says”? 🙄

Yes, my wife won't get into any public pools, hot tubs, steamrooms, etc...

For me, I don't care, I've probably had hundreds of vacine shots since boot camp, partied with millions at port calls all over the world, so I'm pretty much immune to everything by now... 

I suspect that cruise lines will make some changes, I can't/won't speculate or even offer suggestions.  They will do what they feel is reasonable.  From the cruiser perspective, we as cruisers need to determine for ourselves what we are willing to do onboard a ship or not and then adjust our activity/behaviors accordingly and NOT rely on just what the cruise line chooses to do.  

There will be people who cruised in the past and won't step foot on a cruise ship every again.  Not being judgmental, every person needs to decide for themselves.

I can firmly say that my DH and I will cruise again and whatever new procedures/policies cruise lines put in place, we will deal with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

gatour and cured...I'm usually smiling and being a bit sarcastic when I write something...self-deprecating...just wanted to add a bit of humor...but it didn't come across that way.

Understood.  I am known to have a dry and sarcastic bit of humor.  I try to tone it down on line or make it obvious by adding things like "being sarcastic" 

Thanks for clarifying.