Marella Cancellations

15 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

Also, be careful if cancelling a holiday/cruise (check the T&C to be safe). If you booked with Tui 'low deposit scheme', you may have only paid a small amount of the 'actual' deposit so far, but the FULL deposit is charged if you cancel -  a few people have been caught out by this.

eg. Low deposit £125, but full actual deposit £400 per person

This is explained when you book with a low deposit so definitely not Tui trying to trick you.   Always read the small print.

16 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

The 'within 28 days' is from the actual departure date of the cancelled cruise, not the day you received the cancellation notification (from what I have read ), so would be up to some date in June.

Also, be careful if cancelling a holiday/cruise (check the T&C to be safe). If you booked with Tui 'low deposit scheme', you may have only paid a small amount of the 'actual' deposit so far, but the FULL deposit is charged if you cancel -  a few people have been caught out by this.

eg. Low deposit £125, but full actual deposit £400 per person

Thank you for that information about the deposit. I did pay through their low deposit scheme £125, with the balance of another £125 due next month.  So I may need to re-think my idea.  Will double check before I do anything.

34 minutes ago, lovetoholiday said:

You are quite right, I've just checked the T&C's on my booking and full deposit payment will be required if cancelling.  So I guess I'll just pay the remaining balance of deposit next month and wait for the FCC to come through and then see if I get the full 20% incentive before I decide whether to change the booking.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Excellent thread, thanks all.

Q1 Am I right in saying, all future cruises with any cruise line, should be booked thru' a Travel Agent, because they hold onto deposits and final balance?

Q2 If you phone the Marella cruiseline on 0203 6361931, do you get put thru to a TUI shop? If yes, I assume The Shop is not classed as a TA and therefore TUI hold on to your cash? TIA.

Just been on the Tui site to check updates they are now giving a lot of info on cancellations for next year 😳one is E2 from May through to October knowing Tui it could be a typo error but they do go into a lot of detail for most of the fleet. 

Wow where was the E2 supposed to be going next year?  I started to panic when I saw the list thinking that was the one I am booked on for next June. But relieved to see it's the Discovery .  The E2 should have been this year, sadly not now happening!

Just had a email from TUI regarding my September cruise on D2, it has been cancelled. Refund credit will be issued.

This is the latest information from the TUI site regarding what has been cancelled:

Marella Cruises sailings on or before 30 June 2020 and all sailings detailed below
    o  All sailings on Marella Celebration
    o  Sailings on Marella Discovery 2 up to 30 April 2021
    o  Sailings on Marella Dream up to 4 May 2021
    o  Marella Discovery sailings in December 2020 and January 2021
    o  Marella Explorer 2 sailings between 5 May 2021 to 20 October 2021 

Just had an email from tui my celebration cruise in july next year is now on E2 adults only and is based in dubrovnic. E2 is now taking over all celebration cruises next year so looks like no refunds on deposits.

14 minutes ago, victor150 said:

Just had an email from tui my celebration cruise in july next year is now on E2 adults only and is based in dubrovnic. E2 is now taking over all celebration cruises next year so looks like no refunds on deposits.

Also just had email.

We were sailing on celebration 28th April 2021

We are now booked on discovery 2

Sorry to have received an email this morning advising me that  our cruise on Discovery 2  for November this year has now been cancelled  We were due to cruise from Dubai through India, to Thailand and ultimately Lankawi ( did I spell that right.?) 

Anyhow, the cruise has now been cancelled, and we are really quite gutted not to be going, although we definitely believe it’s the best and correct decision by TUI given the pandemic.  I’m kind of grateful TUI have been decisive and made this call in good time.

We hope to be able to re book this, or a similar itinerary in the future when it is safe enough to do so. A worldwide vaccine can’t come soon enough so that we can all get back to enjoying our lives to the full once again.

I have also received an email to say my cruise on the Dream for September this year has been cancelled. I had a feeling that it would be but didn’t expect the decision to have been made yet. Thought it would have been in a couple of months. I am pleased, however, that I have not been left in limbo.

5 hours ago, oscarshep said:

Also just had email.

We were sailing on celebration 28th April 2021

We are now booked on discovery 2

Been on d2 and liked it a lot would much rather be on that than E2 was not impressed with explorer the service was rank rotten

2 hours ago, victor150 said:

Been on d2 and liked it a lot would much rather be on that than E2 was not impressed with explorer the service was rank rotten

Hi Victor,

In what way was the service so poor ? We have done D2 twice as well, loved it.

We go on E2 end of August....hopefully. Never good to hear bad reviews. Don`t go into too much detail, spare me if it`s too bad lol

8 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

Sorry to have received an email this morning advising me that  our cruise on Discovery 2  for November this year has now been cancelled  We were due to cruise from Dubai through India, to Thailand and ultimately Lankawi ( did I spell that right.?) 

Oddly, they haven't cancelled our EX 2 cruise for 1st August 2020 Iceland/Norway out of Newcastle. Don't know why it's been given a reprieve. The Norwegian ban on older ships, due to their use of high sulphur fuel comes into effect soon. No more Marella cruises to Norway from 2021 and thereafter, unless TUI donates one of their spanking new Mein Shiff ships that runs on NPG 🤯

Edited by Bertie Doe

We are booked on E2 out of Newcastle 4 July, and that appears to be still sailing.

We booked in local TA which wa closed when balance was due, and at that time it said to wait till shops reopen to pay balance.

I emailed both the shop and the cares@thomson e-mail when the balance was due for information about paying the balance and both got returned saying unable to reply at that time.

So I have been waiting.  Now that these changes have come out, they have given phone numbers for those who have booked in a shop, but I am not even getting answered to be put on the waiting list for reply, just to try later.  

I have sent another email to say I have not cancelled this cruise and if I find out how to pay the balance it will be paid (even if it means waiting months for a refund!) 

Will have to be a refund as we don't fly and there are no ex UK next year.

Gill

1 hour ago, gillhalfpint said:

So I have been waiting.  Now that these changes have come out, they have given phone numbers for those who have booked in a shop, but I am not even getting answered to be put on the waiting list for reply, just to try later.  

Hi Gill you have to every patient to get through, as you say mostly it just says call again, the first time I got through I was waiting for about 30 mins then got cut off, I finally got through after a further 90mins and they did have all my details and what they were doing, should be having refund next week 🤞I did book with a Tui TA. 

18 hours ago, oscarshep said:

Hi Victor,

In what way was the service so poor ? We have done D2 twice as well, loved it.

We go on E2 end of August....hopefully. Never good to hear bad reviews. Don`t go into too much detail, spare me if it`s too bad lol

It was explorer i was on . E2 might be better but it was MDR that i had issues with the service was appalling long waits for everthing from drinks to courses. There was 4 of us and when one of us asked for a vodka as she dosent drink wine we waited 40 mins before it arrived after asking 3 times. Thought it might have been an off day but no was like that every time i was in.There was better service upstairs in the italian. The entertainment wasnt that great either. Might have changed now as it  was only in service 6 weeks when i was on but seemed to be a lack of staff in MDR. I liked the smaller ships not as nice looking but better atmosphere.

• 4 weeks later...

I received my email today with the FCC and the offer of the extra 20% towards a new booking.  This is for the cruise due to sail on the 20th June, so just under 3 weeks away.  Happy to start looking at my options now - well been looking already, but happy to start looking in earnest now 😀

40 minutes ago, lovetoholiday said:

I received my email today with the FCC and the offer of the extra 20% towards a new booking. 

I wouldn't delay too long if you  use your FCC + 20% i.e. book your new cruise with the FCC before cruises shoot up in price. Safe distancing, no buffet, reduced capacity etc, will put pressure on demand for 2021 cruises.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:47 PM, lovetoholiday said:

I received my email today with the FCC and the offer of the extra 20% towards a new booking.  This is for the cruise due to sail on the 20th June, so just under 3 weeks away.  Happy to start looking at my options now - well been looking already, but happy to start looking in earnest now 😀

Am I missing something here? We were due to cruise on 20th May 2020 and still have not yet received my FCC in order for me to request a cash refund. How come Tui are sending out FCC for cruises that are due to sail this month (June)? I thought that they were sending out the FCC within 4 weeks of departure but it seems not. Unbelievable!!!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 7:32 PM, Bertie Doe said:

I wouldn't delay too long if you  use your FCC + 20% i.e. book your new cruise with the FCC before cruises shoot up in price. Safe distancing, no buffet, reduced capacity etc, will put pressure on demand for 2021 cruises.

My cruise B/B for june next year has gone down £500 well sick.

My cruise was cancelled On 13/03/20 and I was promised a refund after fourteen days. That was the first and last email from them for nine weeks and then I got their email with a credit refund. I went onto their website and requested a credit card refund and finally today after twelve weeks My money was back in my account. Overall the way that TUI Have handled it has in my opinion has been very poor, I appreciate that these are unprecedented times but all that was needed was to keep people informed. Issuing vouchers to customers without discussion Is a underhand way of holding onto our money. Lots of people could have used that money over the last few weeks. This has certainly clouded my opinion of TUI  which is a shame because the product that we buy into which is Marella is a decent concept.

Anyways good luck to all of you people still awaiting refunds and I wish you all a speedy conclusion.

Keep well.😉

Edited by Brummijam
No

• 1 month later...

Post mortem. It's perfectly understandable that there's been bad feeling about the slowness of Marella refunds. It's worth bearing in mind that TUI HQ furloughed most of it's UK staff.

On the 2nd Jan we booked a flight from Exeter to Newcastle with Flybe to join EX2's Norway/Iceland cruise on 1st Aug. As you know Flybe went bust. I'd paid for flights via credit card and put a claim in mid Jan. It's taken Barclaycard 5 months to credit me back.

Considering how cash-strapped Marella and other cruise lines are - they probably haven't done too bad a job . Could they have been better prepared? I don't think so - Covid 19 has caught everyone unawares.

4 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Post mortem. It's perfectly understandable that there's been bad feeling about the slowness of Marella refunds. It's worth bearing in mind that TUI HQ furloughed most of it's UK staff.

On the 2nd Jan we booked a flight from Exeter to Newcastle with Flybe to join EX2's Norway/Iceland cruise on 1st Aug. As you know Flybe went bust. I'd paid for flights via credit card and put a claim in mid Jan. It's taken Barclaycard 5 months to credit me back.

Considering how cash-strapped Marella and other cruise lines are - they probably haven't done too bad a job . Could they have been better prepared? I don't think so - Covid 19 has caught everyone unawares.

Agree totally, there many more travel companies that have been even worse than TUI. We were stuck in Spain with Brittany Ferries cancelling all ferries and not wanting to refund us, took many weeks to get it, Love Holidays tried as hard as poss to not refund us for a Greek hotel booking. The one Company I can say treated us very well was British Airways, refunded us  within 7 days of cancellation.