It's even worse than we thought

Cruise Raider

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Even if you remove the Diamond Princess numbers   

The total cases is a bit higher,  in proportion to Royal Caribbean

but there have been way more deaths on Princess than Royal Caribbean

You would have thought after the Diamond event.. they would have stopped all cruising

Cheers Don

Agree they should have stopped earlier. 

The head Doctor on the Ruby said she hadn't heard anything about the Diamond Princess quarantine or deaths, now that is unbelievable. 

She was interviewed here in Australia before departing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

How do they know that it wasn't the hotel prior to the cruise (or the airline or transportation to the pier ... or from a restaurant or the grocery store, for that matter or even while in port, maybe on an excursion) where the passenger was originally infected?  We know it is extremely infectious ... seems like the cruise ship is where their symptoms developed.  I'm sure it isn't just enclosed spaces where this can spread as the article indicates.  It is human to human transmission and that can happen anywhere.  If it can't, I'm really irritated that I have to don a mask every time I take a walk in the neighborhood now.  The legal defense will be all over this, though.  

Because the statistical probability of the numbers that developed on several of the ships was essentially zero without some form of internal transmission. The research on ships being a great place for any virus etc to spread is incredibly well documented ... Its just willful blindness at this point to make posts saying "oh they just happened to all start showing symptoms on the cruise."

It is certainly not the cruise lines fault that covid-19 got on the ship, it is their fault for the lack of action that followed. 

Ships will probably always have this communal spread issue, its fine as long as it is properly remediated and the businesses are responsible enough to STOP when an issue is identified. 

• Like 3

So many of my friends and relatives with careers in medicine were downplaying the severity of CoVid-19.  Most of them stated it was no worse than the common cold (come to find out, for many, it really isn't even though they are still quite infectious).  Well, we were having a discussion (I'm pretty sure it was during the Superbowl) about cruise ships and the Diamond Princess in particular as that story was unfolding.  One of the guests at the party we attended said, 'well, they just have to shut down all cruising for a while'.  I thought, at the time, that was the most nonsensical comment I had ever heard.  It was mind boggling that he thought that was the answer.  Wow!  Was I ever wrong!!   

Unless we were in the thick of the Ebola outbreak, I don't think any of us have ever been through something like this before so it was unimaginable that so much of the world has been shut down ... not just cruising.  Stay healthy everyone!!  

• Like 2