Anyone else feel that "Cancel up to 48 hours before you sail" is misleading?

Hello all; my regrets if this has already been posted.

I had a cruise on Symphony of the Seas scheduled for March 14th of this year.

I had read on the RCI website about the "Cruise with Confidence" policy which states "Cancel up to 48 hours before you sail and get a future cruise credit good through 2021".  There was no asterisk or footnote with this wording.  I do concede that the policy is spelled out in detail when you scroll (through several pages of RCI advertising) to the bottom of the page and read the "FAQ" section (didn't see that until it was too late..).

Having seen this wording displayed on the RCI website, I canceled my cruise 51 hours before the advertised sailing time of 4:30p EST on March 14th.  Given the information available that week, it would not have been ethical to risk my family and others by traveling to Miami and taking this trip.  RCI ultimately canceled nearly all cruises on March 13th in the afternoon (so glad I didn't fly to Florida that day!).

Apparently, this policy applies if you cancel your sailing 48 hours before the day of your sailing; not "48 hours before you sail".  I have tried several times for an adjustment through RCI and my TA to no avail.  I am told that "management is sticking to this policy no matter what" when I politely explain that this wording is misleading to me.  I have received my FCC in the exact amount (100%) that I paid for the cruise and I have received all taxes, fees, and prepurchased items back to my credit card.  I do not have an option for a refund or 125% of my initial cruise cost as a credit.  I was told it's either this FCC or a full forfeiture of my cruise fare.

Am I the only one that feels that this is misleading?  Do I have any recourse?  I would like to write a letter to RCI about this and ask for the extra 25% for my FCC (the value of this would be approximately an additional $1,250); does anyone know of an address for a Vice President or someone who might listen to my complaint?  I would appreciate any advice for this unfortunate situation.

My wife and I have taken over 15 cruises with Royal/Celebrity and are Diamond level.  We usually book a Junior Suite and enjoy the specialty restaurants and other experiences that often have extra charges.  I know that is modest compared to many here on the CC boards, but I am disappointed that RCI doesn't seem to value my business over the years..Naturally, if they don't compromise on this, this will be our last cruise with Royal/Celebrity/Azamara.  That would be a shame..

My thanks in advance for your advice.

--Dave and Nancy

Portland, OR

I think you may be mixing 2 different Royal programs/policies.  Cruise with Confidence allows YOU to cancel (even if Royal has not yet cancelled) and receive a 100% FCC.  It sounds like this is what you did.  If Royal cancels first, you can get 125% FCC or a 100% refund.  If you choose to cancel under Cruise with Confidence, and Royal later cancels your cruise, you are stuck with the 100% FCC that you originally took.  They won't allow you to instead get 125% FCC.  That's not related to the 48 hour timing for Cruise with Confidence.

11 minutes ago, dgannett said:

I have received my FCC in the exact amount (100%) that I paid for the cruise and I have received all taxes, fees, and prepurchased items back to my credit card. 

Be very happy you got that. Apparently you are willing to forfeit that FCC for something of your own making.

Looks like I got this confused as bobmacliberty has explained.  I appreciate the clarification.

Since the usual rules are that you lose all of the cruise fare if you cancel within 30 days of sailing, it looks like Royal cut me a break on this one by returning my cruise fare even though I canceled about a 1/2 day after the cut off for the Cruise with Confidence program (but before Royal canceled the sailing).

I suppose I could have received more if I had waited one more day for Royal to cancel my trip.  I'm happy with the 100% FCC given that flying to Florida was off the table given the news that week in March.

Thank you for the replies; perhaps we'll see you on another RCI cruise when all of this is over...

--Dave and Nancy

I saw it posted here over and over cancel at least 3 days before to make sure rcl gets it in time. I spend time here reading posts because rcl policies are ever evolving, usually favouring rcl.

Now you get the fun of figuring out how to best use that fcc.