No refund on cruise cancelled by Holland

I’m waiting 90 days from when we cancelled to see if and/or what they have refunded. Hopefully they will honor the cancellation policy that we cancelled under and we won’t have to fight for it. 

This is our story:

-On Feb 25, I booked our first Princess cruise to Alaska for August.  Stupid me, I paid the whole amount even if I could have paid only a down payment (I learned and will never do this again!)

-I cancelled our Princess cruise on March 17

-On April 9, I filled a dispute with our credit card company (through Bank of Montreal).  BMO explained: 1-) once BMO start my dispute (an employee looking at the documents I had just filled), BMO will apply a conditional credit back to my  account of the amount paid to Princess on Feb 25   2-) I would not be able to transfer this credit to my bank account   3-) From the day I would receive the credit, Princess would have 45 days to “defend” themselves.    So the credit could be conditional for 45 days...

-On May 3, I emailed BMO inquiring about my dispute

-On May 5, I saw a credit for the amount paid on Feb 25 on BMO credit card statement and it was called ‘Dispute Princess’.   I decided to call BMO to make sure it was a conditional credit.  I was told it was conditional and that Princess had 45 days to reply to the dispute.  BUT, for the 1st time, I was told I could transfer the money to my bank account (they call it a cash advance even if you have a credit on your account!) but if the dispute would not go my way, I would be responsible to reimburse BMO + interest for cash advance.

-I transferred the credit from BMO credit card to BMO bank account.  I then transferred all monies to another bank.  I am lucky, BMO is not my primary bank account.  

-My credit card can deal with Princess!  The cost of our cruise was charged to our credit card within 24 hrs on Feb 25 but once you cancel, you have to wait 60-90 days to receive your money back.  Do they think we are stupid?  

Do not hesitate and dispute your charge ASAP.

The Canadians!😎

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 9:45 AM, dave34 said:

Has anyone filed a dispute with their credit card company? How long should a person wait until we do? Maybe someone with experience with this has some info. I see bankruptcy happening sooner than later. 

We cancelled a February 2021 HAL cruise in March because we now have FCC from another line that we have to use in 2021. At that time they told us about 2 weeks for a refund.  In April, after waiting about 20 days for the refund of our deposit, we filed a dispute with our credit card. They immediately issued us a conditional credit and after just a few days they informed us they had resolved the dispute in our favour and made the credit permanent. The credit was our full deposit (more than $2000) except for $50 which i think was the amount we had first put down as part of a special promotion more than one year ago (I guess the credit card company did not look that far back and they never asked us for any documents). Yesterday, HAL refunded that $50 on our credit card. 

HAL issued our refund for our cancelled March 19 cruise, and some extras we had prepaid for, on May 29, 2020. 

AMEX has posted the credit to my account as of this this morning.

That makes it about 75 days ( +/- ) since we got notice that the cruise was cancelled.

I hope others see their refund activity in about the same amount of time.

Stay safe out there......

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, k0jdd said:

HAL issued our refund for our cancelled March 19 cruise, and some extras we had prepaid for, on May 29, 2020. 

AMEX has posted the credit to my account as of this this morning.

That makes it about 75 days ( +/- ) since we got notice that the cruise was cancelled.

I hope others see their refund activity in about the same amount of time.

Stay safe out there......

Good to hear....still waiting myself.  75 days would not have been so bad had they communicated through out the entire period.  Jmo

• Like 1

HAL issued our refund for our April 6 2020 cruise to AMEX      posted the credit to my account as of this this morning May 31.  We received the extrasthat we purchased refunded end of March. 

That makes it about 81 days ( +/- ) since we cancelled.  Finally it’s been an adventure. Nowstaying home for now. Trying to keep our small business in the wine industry and 11 employees surviving.  The refund will help to keep productiongoing for a while. 

I hope others see their refund activity soon. 
see you in 2021. 

• Like 1