Xpedition...Northern or Southern route?

lawgirl

Hello! Has anyone been on the new Northern/Southern routes?  Any advice on which to book? We went in 2011 but that cruise went to most of the popular places before they split up the itinerary.  We are going in May and especially like animals over scenery.  Open to traveling any month, but we are adding MP and I think May is good for both.  We went to Galápagos in May last time too....Thanks! 

I've been there exactly one year after you, with the split itinerary.

I booked it looking forward to Espanola island, but it was not included for our date.

I've tried to look now at itineraries for May 2021, but they're not named "Southern" or "Northern".

Bar Espanola, for me the highlights of our itinerary were North Seymor for the proximity to animals, and sailing through Elizabeth Bay, for the eerie atmosphere.

Edited by dani negreanu

Ours were named the A and B routes.  We did the B.  Fabulous, especially taking off on a whim in our Zodiac after the naturalist spotted a pod of Orca leaving Sullivan Bay.  Thrilling.

9 minutes ago, marieps said:

Ours were named the A and B routes.  We did the B.  Fabulous, especially taking off on a whim in our Zodiac after the naturalist spotted a pod of Orca leaving Sullivan Bay.  Thrilling.

Thank you! So we are thinking off the month of May...Both itineraries are below as follows, not sure which used to be A or B....

We are particularly interested in (1)snorkeling with sea lions and (2) seeing lots of wildlife. Having been there once in 2011 (when it was one single itinerary), I recall Espanola And N Seymour being full of wildlife. And we did a Champion Island snorkel which is where we swam with sea lions..... So I think Southern....but we never went to Genovesa, so I don’t know about that stop.  Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! 

SOUTHERN

Baltra, Island
North Seymour
South Plaza
Santa Fe
Punta Pitt, San Cristobal
Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Santa Cruz
Post Office Bay, Floreana
Cormorant Point/ Champion Bay, Floreana
Elizabeth Bay, Isabela
Moreno Point, Isabela
Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz
Gardner Bay, Española
Suarez Point, Española
Baltra Island

NORTHERN

Baltra, Island
Black Turtle Cove, Santa Cruz
Rabida Island
Egas Port, Santiago
Tagus Cove, Isabela
Espinoza Point, Fernandina
Urvina Bay, Isabela
Vicente Roca Point, Isabela
Bartolome Island
Las Bachas, Santa Cruz
Daphne Island
El Barranco, Genovesa
Darwin Bay, Genovesa
Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz
Baltra Island

I am looking forward to hearing replys...we are May, 2021 and have chosen "southern loop."  I remember reading a review with lots of information last year.  I remember reading from quite a few that whatever you choose is great, but so is time of year...so want to see the Blue Footed Boobies!

Edited by Lastdance

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I am looking forward to hearing replys...we are May, 2021 and have chosen "southern loop."  I remember reading a review with lots of information last year.  I remember reading from quite a few that whatever you choose is great, but so is time of year...so want to see the Blue Footed Boobies!

So, I was supposed to be on your cruise I think!  But I am postponing it out a year due to the virus.  Not because of the Galapagos part, but because we have 8 nights in Peru after on a private tour seeing MP and other areas. I was worried that without a vaccine readily given out, some of my plans may be changed or smaller activities cancelled if people go out of business etc.  most say travel won’t be “normal” until late 2021 and I didn’t want to take a chance on wearing masks on long flights or having a changed itinerary in Peru....

anyhow, we went in May before a saw TONS of blue footed boobies, especially on Espanola.  Saw the mating dance.  Got a great photo of the boobies on rocks with the blowhole behind them. I will see if I can find it.  Are you going May 7? That’s when we were going until I changed to 2022....

Fernandina and Espanola are on different itineraries....so because there are great stops on both, it’s hard to decide.  I have looked at the very long thread, but the itineraries are called Northern and Southern only recently. So that thread doesn’t discuss Southern and Northern much.... 

Lastdance: here are some photos from May... including the mating...FB74A52F-D084-4F87-AC9D-4CA9CAEA3A98.jpeg.349a84be08e26c8e41ea0679e14b1372.jpegD8331D52-DFF5-46AD-AF11-F2BCDE2BB5DD.jpeg.1fec43f9a5510ab86d79c7c9bf2ddf9c.jpeg451FA809-4E01-443D-B09D-A855DC792F47.jpeg.c6d33b3fe23e45449d6606a8695c0bd0.jpeg475B705E-6B05-4424-B78A-433C98AB9DB2.jpeg.12ce79525999426d39fe7254a89e48a0.jpeg44743018-7528-4DD4-95EE-89299CFEFFEA.jpeg.c78d28993ae526b969962f73e4ed1bee.jpeg5993E0BA-0258-466C-AE64-1B35ADCD8959.jpeg.ec988380ef77534a141c81f4e278b471.jpeg

2 hours ago, lawgirl said:

So, I was supposed to be on your cruise I think!  But I am postponing it out a year due to the virus.  Not because of the Galapagos part, but because we have 8 nights in Peru after on a private tour seeing MP and other areas. I was worried that without a vaccine readily given out, some of my plans may be changed or smaller activities cancelled if people go out of business etc.  most say travel won’t be “normal” until late 2021 and I didn’t want to take a chance on wearing masks on long flights or having a changed itinerary in Peru....

anyhow, we went in May before a saw TONS of blue footed boobies, especially on Espanola.  Saw the mating dance.  Got a great photo of the boobies on rocks with the blowhole behind them. I will see if I can find it.  Are you going May 7? That’s when we were going until I changed to 2022....

Your photos are amazing; thanks so much for sharing...our date is May 28 for 10 nights.  We also wanted to do MP, but thought we had a better chance with just Galapagos, as we have friends and relatives in Florida to see.  Our big b2b cruises and two month vacay is Sept/Oct of 2021 in Europe...I certainly understand your thought process, and believe you are right! Stay safe...Suzy

11 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Your photos are amazing; thanks so much for sharing...our date is May 28 for 10 nights.  We also wanted to do MP, but thought we had a better chance with just Galapagos, as we have friends and relatives in Florida to see.  Our big b2b cruises and two month vacay is Sept/Oct of 2021 in Europe...I certainly understand your thought process, and believe you are right! Stay safe...Suzy

Have a great trip...we took 15000 photos, no joke! There are some way better than what I even posted. I just grabbed a few I saw first for you.  You will love it!  We have traveled extensively all over Europe, Africa, the Baltic’s, Russia, Alaska, Hawaii, Caribbean, South America... Galapagos was #1 on my bucket list and I was worried it would not reach expectations. It EXCEEDED them! It is the best trip we have ever taken IMO!  my husband thought Africa was slightly better, but there is nothing like seeing animals with no fear in the Galapagos! Enjoy! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lawgirl said:

Have a great trip...we took 15000 photos, no joke! There are some way better than what I even posted. I just grabbed a few I saw first for you.  You will love it!  We have traveled extensively all over Europe, Africa, the Baltic’s, Russia, Alaska, Hawaii, Caribbean, South America... Galapagos was #1 on my bucket list and I was worried it would not reach expectations. It EXCEEDED them! It is the best trip we have ever taken IMO!  my husband thought Africa was slightly better, but there is nothing like seeing animals with no fear in the Galapagos! Enjoy! 

15,000 photos is unreal, but hey, who is counting.  I have an obsession with Europe, so try and go once a year; however, that sure changed this year!  My DH does not want to do any country in Africa, but we have quite a few cruise buddies doing the southern part on a land tour with all the bells and whistles in 2022.  I know that if I said “we are going,” he would do it for me.  After Europe, my favorite place is South Island, NZ, as we hiked the Milford Track during a storm and avalanche.  It did not even seem real, except for the fact that I turned too quickly, twisting my knee. My DH is not totally keen on Galapagos, but he did not want to do several countries in Asia either, yet had an awesome time.  He is very athletic and loves the out of doors, so it makes no sense.  He has always enjoyed all our trips, but likes his bed and food to go with him...cruising is our go to, but also going out on our own either before or after a cruise.

I hope your upcoming journeys are filled with exciting experiences, along with a ton of memories!

Edited by Lastdance

We did the Northern.  Either way you can't go wrong.  One hint: You may see sea lions right by the dock where you board a panga to the ship.  Don't worry if you don't get a few pics.  You'll see SOOO MANY sea lions on the trip that first experience will pale.

Edited by marieps