Star Suite vs. Haven

Looking at Northern European cruises on the Star, but we’ve only ever cruised big ships in the Haven.  Can anyone offer an opinion on whether or not we’ll be happy with a Star suite?  I’m afraid we’ll really miss the private sundeck...

Well there isn't a private sundeck, but there is still the suite breakfast/lunch- it's done in Moderno- and the butler who delivers all in room dining, and snacks each afternoon, and a designated suite area for shows, and of course the priority embarkation/debarkation.  Also the priority debarkation at all ports (even with a tender) is really nice.

45 minutes ago, CTnewcruiser said:

Looking at Northern European cruises on the Star, but we’ve only ever cruised big ships in the Haven.  Can anyone offer an opinion on whether or not we’ll be happy with a Star suite?  I’m afraid we’ll really miss the private sundeck...

The ONLY place you will find a Private Sundeck is in one of the two Garden Villas deck 14.

The aft suites may offer some sundeck exposure depending on direction of the cruise

Otherwise no other private places for suites except for the Breakfast/Lunch restaurant Moderno

You did not indicate your suite preference or what you have booked ?

Deck 12 suites be they OS - Suite with balcony or Family w/o are spacious and best quiet location.

Deck 11 forward has ten of the 2BR suites

Forward and aft are the Penthouse suites

The STAR while an old ship has been through a couple of renovations and drydock

Had engine and propulsion problems awhile back - seems that everything is running OK now

If it is the only ship cruising Northern Europe count your blessings that you are cruising ! 

2 hours ago, CTnewcruiser said:

We have cruised on the Dawn, which is similar to the Star, and really enjoyed it but that was before we were suiteaddicts. We will not cruise on the older ships again because we should miss the private restaurant for dinner, the Haven sundeck and the Haven lounge too much. 

I guess which suite are you looking at?  The PH suites aren't really too special.  The OS on 9 & 10 (the ones on 10 now called DOS - not to be confused with the DOS on deck 12) have a large forward balcony  and a double wide side balcony so plenty of space if wanting sun or shade.  The DOS on deck 12 don't have any balcony.

The GV would be great.  Been on Star twice, Dawn once, and the newer ships in Haven.  I guess it really depends on what you are looking for.  That route tends to be pretty port intensive and probably not the warmest so I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Star vs. a Haven ship everything else being equal.