Muse and Explorer stuck in Panama

Silver Spectre

According to a crew member on the Muse they have been stuck outside Panama City, with nowhere to go, since April 22nd, and have been informed they may be there for another month as they will currently not be accepted in the US. Apparently the Explorer is stuck there as well.

My heart goes out to all the crew, missing their families, and left in limbo.

I’m sure SS is doing everything they can to try and resolve the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A short while ago i posted details of all SS ships, 3 were in Tenerife and 3 on the way. Two were in South America on their way to Panama (id suggested they could be on their way to Tenerife also.)

Trying times for all and wish them the very best. Whilst they are undoubtedly safe, there is no doubt they probably just want to get home.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:40 PM, Silver Spectre said:

There was a photo posted on FB of the Whisper, Shadow, Wind and Spirit all lined up along the dock in Tenerife.

Our SS CC sent me that image today. I assume it must be the same one. Looks awesome. Definitely from a drone.

He also mentioned the Explorer was there in Panama hoping to offload luggage left by passengers unable to take it with them when they disembarked. He wasnt sure where they were heading once they leave Panama City or what the prospects were for the cases, but the care is ongoing but slow and fraught with complications.

IMG_5495.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Latest news on the Muse, she is about to up anchor and sail for the Philippines to repatriate as many of the crew as possible.

I can only imagine the excitement all must feel on board the Muse to finally be heading towards home.  How long is the sail from Panama?

40 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I can only imagine the excitement all must feel on board the Muse to finally be heading towards home.  How long is the sail from Panama?

That’s true for the Filipinos, but not for the other crew. Not sure is the answer.

So the Explorer is returning to Europe from Panama.
This seems a heavy death knell for the planned Southern Ocean Itineraries commencing  12/2010.

Very disappointing..
The Covid case count world wide continues to escalate ...where will it all end...😪

On 5/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, tgh said:

So the Explorer is returning to Europe from Panama.
This seems a heavy death knell for the planned Southern Ocean Itineraries commencing  12/2010.

Very disappointing..

I think you already missed that one! 😂

But yes, I agree with your thoughts re the end of 2020. I can't see the Moon even starting until 2021 and resigned to missing my second in 2020 and my Panama trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Les37b; I am wondering why you say that you can't see the Moon starting cruising until 2021? The SS website has the Moon starting on 2 Oct. I have to make a decision in June relative to my 30 Oct-23 Nov cruise on the Moon, which still shows on the website. Have looked at the Fincanterri website and Seatrade, but can't get a good read on how things stand. Do you have any real info on things?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dougburns said:

Les37b; I am wondering why you say that you can't see the Moon starting cruising until 2021? The SS website has the Moon starting on 2 Oct. I have to make a decision in June relative to my 30 Oct-23 Nov cruise on the Moon, which still shows on the website. Have looked at the Fincanterri website and Seatrade, but can't get a good read on how things stand. Do you have any real info on things?

Doug, no concrete info (there isnt really any apart from as you say, the revised start date), so just a gut feeling.

Cruise dates keep being pushed back, but its the lack of expectations really. I do think there is a great chance that the Moon will be ready on the expected revised dates.

I know the one you've booked. Thats a relatively tame one in terms of countries and Spain in particular want to open up again, but the one after yours (that I'm booked on), Not only starting from the US, but several South American countries that aren't doing so well. Those places are repeated consistently from November, so its just my thoughts that if South America is a no go, I cant see the TA going ahead as a one off voyage. Of course cruises could be changed from your disembark point in Fort Lauderdale going forward that allows things to continue and feasible. If that happens, that would be the second time on this booking for a change of cruise! 

We were so hopeful but our luggage seems to be cursed! Just received another note from Silversea about the fate of the luggage we had to leave behind when we left the Explorer on March 17:  

The ship is currently in Panama and it was arranged to off-load luggage once the ship arrived. However, local authorities would not grant permission to off-load the luggage for shipping.

Does this reaction by the port officials strike anyone else as a little extreme? I know I'm complaining about a very first-world problem, but Covid cooties couldn't possibly remain on this ship, and Silversea is being forced to burn up so much time and energy trying to solve a problem it didn't create. I really appreciate the efforts they are making to get it done!

FauxNom, I'm so sorry about this further delay.  Yes, it absolutely strikes me as thoughtless & borderline cruel.  I assume Silversea is paying them a lot of money for re-supplying, berthing, port taxes, etc. Have you contacted your Member of Congress.  When we were "imprisoned"  in Recife, our local Congresswoman's office was very actively working angles on our behalf.  Maybe they could contact the Embassy/Consulate in Panama City.  I hope you are feeling well now.  Keep us posted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nowornever said:

I'm so sorry about this further delay. 

Thanks very much! We are both healthy again (took my husband 11 tries before he got two negative covid tests).  

I appreciate your suggestion, although I imagine Silversea is already working every angle. I just wish the bureaucracy could respond a bit more flexibly when all that's involved is moving luggage from point A to point B, and the point of origin is covid-free.

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/28/2020 at 11:27 AM, nowornever said:

FauxNom, I'm so sorry about this further delay.  Yes, it absolutely strikes me as thoughtless & borderline cruel.  I assume Silversea is paying them a lot of money for re-supplying, berthing, port taxes, etc. Have you contacted your Member of Congress.  When we were "imprisoned"  in Recife, our local Congresswoman's office was very actively working angles on our behalf.  Maybe they could contact the Embassy/Consulate in Panama City.  I hope you are feeling well now.  Keep us posted.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:58 PM, FauxNom said:

Thanks very much! We are both healthy again (took my husband 11 tries before he got two negative covid tests).  

I appreciate your suggestion, although I imagine Silversea is already working every angle. I just wish the bureaucracy could respond a bit more flexibly when all that's involved is moving luggage from point A to point B, and the point of origin is covid-free.

In my humble opinion, I don’t believe  it counts as cruelty in the present circumstances. While I’m sure there are personal belongings with sentimental (and monetary for that matter) value on the ship, it is at the end of the day ‘just’ luggage. The rules during the pandemic are far more stringent in Panama than the US at least. The country is placing rules to protect its’ people. People would have to be in contact when the offloading luggage and they have assumed it’s a risk that they are not willing to take. To you the risk may seem insignificant, to them your luggage is insignificant enough to not risk adding disease to their country.   I agree it’s frustrating and there’s probably a simpler solution, just can’t see it as cruelty or overreacting in the current climate.  I do hope you have received your luggage by now or will soon☺️

7 hours ago, suznomad said:

In my humble opinion, I don’t believe  it counts as cruelty in the present circumstances. While I’m sure there are personal belongings with sentimental (and monetary for that matter) value on the ship, it is at the end of the day ‘just’ luggage. The rules during the pandemic are far more stringent in Panama than the US at least. The country is placing rules to protect its’ people. People would have to be in contact when the offloading luggage and they have assumed it’s a risk that they are not willing to take. To you the risk may seem insignificant, to them your luggage is insignificant enough to not risk adding disease to their country. I agree it’s frustrating and there’s probably a simpler solution, just can’t see it as cruelty or overreacting in the current climate.  I do hope you have received your luggage by now or will soon☺️

Well, I think nowornever was just being kind to me by labeling it cruel. I hope I didn't convey that I value luggage over human life. But my fairly well-informed opinion is that luggage that's been sitting untouched for 3 months on a completely Covid-free ship poses zero risk. Still, Panama is the boss of its ports, and it will do what it does. And no, I do not have my luggage yet.

• Like 2

Oh no Faux, I'm so sorry to hear that.  You did indeed express my thought that if the crew has been sitting on the ship for weeks on end without being exposed & the luggage has been in the bowels of the ship, untouched, then transferring the luggage to an onshore agent would pose little to no risk to anyone other than you when you received it.  We let ours sit in the garage for a few days & then doused the exteriors with Lysol spray!  I think "your" ship is headed to France (?) so you will undoubtedly receive it soon after they arrive & can off-load.  Please let us know - fingers are still crossed for you.

33 minutes ago, nowornever said:

I think "your" ship is headed to France (?) so you will undoubtedly receive it soon after they arrive & can off-load.  Please let us know - fingers are still crossed for you.

That's what I have heard too, so we're hoping! (I knew we were in trouble when my husband appeared yesterday wearing a scrap of fabric as a belt 😁. And he has approximately 2 outfits that are not in his suitcase. ) I sure hope there aren't many crew members who are waiting to get off. Maybe that happened when the Explorer made a short stop in Tenerife. 

The Muse is still a few days out from the Philippines with crew aboard who haven't been on land for at least 3 months.

There are still some crew who are not from the Phillipines and do not know where they can go once the ship docks. The crew from the Philippines will be repatriated.

No covid aboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bsugar said:

Has anyone heard if the Explorer has been able to offload the luggage that has been on the ship since March?

Hi Mara! Yesterday my cruise consultant told me she had heard from guest services that they expect the luggage to be delivered this week. It theoretically was offloaded in Toulon, France. I really hope that's true!

• Like 1