tendering-while-using-a-scooter/

We are looking at Liberty in August of 2021. My wife uses a scooter quite a bit while on board. One of our stops is Grand Cayman which is a tender port. My question is, are tender boats and excursion buses/vans  able to handle a scooter? If not, is there any wheel chair assistance available to get her from the tender boat up to where we would meet our excursion. I have posted this question on both the Gulf Coast departures and the Grand Cayman  port of calls but so far there have been no replies. 

I can only report my experience with Grand Cayman. I was on the NCL Jade in January 2019. I use a bariatric scooter, but can walk a very short distance and can do some stairs. The scooter was most definitely not allowed, though they said if I had one of the tiny models that fold up, they are sometimes permitted. The tender had two levels. When we left the ship, we entered and exited on the second level and there was a long ramp when we got to GC. It was a bit of an uphill hike to get to the excursions area, but I was able to sit for a while in the NCL tented area to catch my breath. There were no wheelchairs or aides visible. On the return trip, the tender had us enter on the bottom level and we had to climb the stairs to get to the level to enter the ship. The tender crew was very nice and had everyone wait to get on the stairs so I could go up without being mobbed. I probably could have waited for another tender, in hopes it would be the one that would let me enter and exit on the second story, but it was hot and I wanted to get back on the ship.

If you would be able to handle carrying a folding wheelchair up and/or down the stairs on the tender, and your wife could do the flight of stairs, you could consider renting a folding wheelchair. I would suggest, if you do, make sure to be back at the tender WAY early, in case you need to wait for another tender.

I hope you are able to go the Grand Cayman. I had a wonderful day there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I can only report my experience with Grand Cayman. I was on the NCL Jade in January 2019. I use a bariatric scooter, but can walk a very short distance and can do some stairs. The scooter was most definitely not allowed, though they said if I had one of the tiny models that fold up, they are sometimes permitted. The tender had two levels. When we left the ship, we entered and exited on the second level and there was a long ramp when we got to GC. It was a bit of an uphill hike to get to the excursions area, but I was able to sit for a while in the NCL tented area to catch my breath. There were no wheelchairs or aides visible. On the return trip, the tender had us enter on the bottom level and we had to climb the stairs to get to the level to enter the ship. The tender crew was very nice and had everyone wait to get on the stairs so I could go up without being mobbed. I probably could have waited for another tender, in hopes it would be the one that would let me enter and exit on the second story, but it was hot and I wanted to get back on the ship.

If you would be able to handle carrying a folding wheelchair up and/or down the stairs on the tender, and your wife could do the flight of stairs, you could consider renting a folding wheelchair. I would suggest, if you do, make sure to be back at the tender WAY early, in case you need to wait for another tender.

I hope you are able to go the Grand Cayman. I had a wonderful day there.

Thanks for this. I will consider renting a folding wheelchair. I wonder if there is a place on the excursion buses/van to store the wheelchair?

11 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

Thanks for this. I will consider renting a folding wheelchair. I wonder if there is a place on the excursion buses/van to store the wheelchair?

The tour I took did have a small place for a folding wheelchair -- one man on my tour had one. But it was not a fully accessible tour as we had to climb steps into the bus. I would suggest verifying ahead of time and again on the ship at the excursions desk. It's best if you can arrange an accessible tour, because they will be more likely to have space for a chair. Accessible Caribbean Vacations offers an accessible tour of Grand Cayman.

3 hours ago, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

The tour I took did have a small place for a folding wheelchair -- one man on my tour had one. But it was not a fully accessible tour as we had to climb steps into the bus. I would suggest verifying ahead of time and again on the ship at the excursions desk. It's best if you can arrange an accessible tour, because they will be more likely to have space for a chair. Accessible Caribbean Vacations offers an accessible tour of Grand Cayman.

Thanks again for the help. My wife is able to do a couple of steps so I think I will rent her the folding wheelchair.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone who suggested renting a folding wheelchair for Grand Cayman. 

If you are considering a tour from the ship, you will probably have to wait until your cruise date gets closer to see what they have in the way of tours.    There will probably be accessible tours available and I would also double-check with the cruise line's Accessibility Department as they sometimes have accessible tours that are not listed with the regular tours offered.   

Often nonaccessible tours can accommodate a foldable wheelchair but again, check with the Accessibility Department so they can ask the tour operator to make sure this is possible.   

I suggest booking a tour before leaving home because our experience has been slim to none regarding getting accessibility information from the Shore Excursion Desk on the ship.

And you will be responsible for getting to and from the tender dock to wherever the tour bus is.