How "old" and tired is Connie?

Fogfog

On 5/27/2020 at 4:44 AM, BigAl94 said:

I think it is very unlikely that Constellation or Infinity will ever be Revolutionised given how the cruise market is likely to change and the massive spend that will be required to fulfil CDC regulations post Corona virus. More likely those ships will leave the fleet and possibly others as well. As for selling staterooms that don't exist, they are selling cruises that won't exist so don't be surprised by that.

We were on the Constellation this past October, 2019. We only cruise the Mediterranean so we have been on the Connie many times. 

We found our Ocean View cabin and all of the common area to be very well maintained as usual.  

I had two huge desires for the Connie’s upgrade.....solid shower doors (I’m not a fan of the shower curtains) and improved TV programming (the Connie’s TV programming is beyond bad). I am disappointed we won’t have those on our next sailing, but they will not stop us from booking her.  We choose to sail the Connie because of it itineraries, pricing, and overall quality. We will continue to do so as long as Celebrity maintains it current level of upkeep. 

While on our last cruise, we had several conversations with ship leadership regarding the importance of the “smaller” ships to Celebrity’s business strategy. When we expressed surprise that Celebrity was renovating the Connie rather than selling it, we were told by all that the smaller ships allow them to get into ports that block the larger ones.....Venice for example...and at that time, they believed this would be a continuing trend. 

What does concern me about Celebrity’s business strategy is, as BigAl94 says above, that they continue to sell fall Mediterranean cruises departing from and visiting ports in Italy. Right now, Italy is saying it will not allow non European Union visitors during 2020. This does not seem ethical to me. 

21 hours ago, N 2 Sun said:

We were on the Constellation this past October, 2019. We only cruise the Mediterranean so we have been on the Connie many times. 

We found our Ocean View cabin and all of the common area to be very well maintained as usual.  

I had two huge desires for the Connie’s upgrade.....solid shower doors (I’m not a fan of the shower curtains) and improved TV programming (the Connie’s TV programming is beyond bad). I am disappointed we won’t have those on our next sailing, but they will not stop us from booking her.  We choose to sail the Connie because of it itineraries, pricing, and overall quality. We will continue to do so as long as Celebrity maintains it current level of upkeep. 

While on our last cruise, we had several conversations with ship leadership regarding the importance of the “smaller” ships to Celebrity’s business strategy. When we expressed surprise that Celebrity was renovating the Connie rather than selling it, we were told by all that the smaller ships allow them to get into ports that block the larger ones.....Venice for example...and at that time, they believed this would be a continuing trend. 

What does concern me about Celebrity’s business strategy is, as BigAl94 says above, that they continue to sell fall Mediterranean cruises departing from and visiting ports in Italy. Right now, Italy is saying it will not allow non European Union visitors during 2020. This does not seem ethical to me. 

Maybe it does not feel right to some of us for them to sell fall cruises.  But why is it not ethical?  Cruise lines need to set a date for resuming operations.  Now it is Aug 1.  That is the business strategy.  They need to sell cruises to the public after their announced date.  That will certainly change in many areas - no sailing to Canada for one.  People buying cruises right now for later in the year are fully aware that they might not sail.  So why are they buying them?  Truly sorry for being facetious.  Just trying to make a point.  But everybody is aware and are making buying decisions for their own reasons.  Perhaps getting a good price and taking a chance or willing to shift it into 2021 to save for the future.

Connie was going to be our next cruise (in Aug 2020) so its good to hear how people feel about the ship in its current condition considering the revolution is postponed indefinitely!

we have previous sailed on the equinox and reflection so I think we’ve been a little spoiled! 

awaiting our cancellation notification atm

On 5/29/2020 at 5:52 AM, Gracie115 said:

I don't think there would be an issue maneuvering around the ship but you should check with X about whether the scooter will fit in your stateroom door as I am pretty sure they are narrower on the "M" class.  You may need to book an accessible room.  Not sure, but I would find out ahead of time. 

We actually did get an accessible cabin this trip. I don't like to do that since DH can stand in a shower... vs needing to be able to roll into one. But after doing research I felt that this was the only type of cabin a scooter would fit in...  This will be the 4th cruise we have used a scooter on... we have been on Oasis class, Edge and S class ships... they all have nice wide public areas and elevators are reasonably large... relative to older class ships where you can get perhaps 6 people in an elevator... Edge, in particular was nice for scooters.. public areas wide, elevators larger than other ships and while a bit tight, fairly easy to park on in the cabin.

11 minutes ago, kearney said:

We actually did get an accessible cabin this trip. I don't like to do that since DH can stand in a shower... vs needing to be able to roll into one. But after doing research I felt that this was the only type of cabin a scooter would fit in...  This will be the 4th cruise we have used a scooter on... we have been on Oasis class, Edge and S class ships... they all have nice wide public areas and elevators are reasonably large... relative to older class ships where you can get perhaps 6 people in an elevator... Edge, in particular was nice for scooters.. public areas wide, elevators larger than other ships and while a bit tight, fairly easy to park on in the cabin.

I think all the newer ships on all the lines are more accommodating than in the past.  I remember our first cruises on Mercury and Summit and then we had a short one on the Navigator of the Seas and we both remarked at how much wider the hallways were.  Now even more so for the most part.  Happy for you that you got the accessible cabin, will probably work better. 

24 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I think all the newer ships on all the lines are more accommodating than in the past.  I remember our first cruises on Mercury and Summit and then we had a short one on the Navigator of the Seas and we both remarked at how much wider the hallways were.  Now even more so for the most part.  Happy for you that you got the accessible cabin, will probably work better. 

Our first cruise was on the US Constitution in Hawaii... complete with the old step over water tight doorways... Our next was the Norway... again with the water tight doors... making wheel chair use impossible. I have noticed... as you point out... that the cruise lines have modified design a bit over time to make them more accessible.