Switching from a Suite GTY

Hi Everyone 

Just booked a cruise on Anthem, yes probably crazy but a seriously low price compared to what it would normally be. however this aside..

There are 4 of us and we like a little space.

Initially we wanted 2 interconnected balcony cabins, which I was going to book. When pricing it up  I saw a WS Suite guarantee for similar Money.

I have booked the GTY on the basis that when it is allocated if I get a JS I can call and switch to the 2 connecting rooms instead, but we might get lucky and get a grand suite or better.

Now I have done that, I just wanted to ask is it permissible to switch from the GTY to 2 connecting cabins (obviously paying any price difference) 

Yes, you can switch but you will be paying the going rate of what cabins are available...............When is this sailing?

Be aware you may not get assigned GTY cabin all the way up to the day of your cruise..............which at that time there may not be  2 connecting cabins available .

Edited by Jimbo

thanks for the replies, 

yes I know it might not be assigned for a while, however most GTY I have booked in the past seem to be assigned quite early

My plan was to hang on a few days, keep an eye on price and if its still not assigned make the switch.

to be honest we would be ok with a JS anyway, and are still a little unsure if to go JS or 2 x interconnecting balconies, my wife likes the idea of a bath tub

We got lucky a year or so ago when a GTY Suite turned into a 2 bedroom GS, guess I am hoping for a little of the same!  Wishful thinking maybe.

worst case for the price we paid, a JS would be fine anyway.

Its 16th August from Southampton , so there is a very real chance it will not sail anyway, which we are fully prepared for.

We've booked loads of guarantee rooms from Southampton, including suite guarantees. Up to last year yes, they were often assigned quite early on. Last year though they appear to have changed their approach - the guarantee rooms are assigned very late, to the point that we started wondering if there even was a suite available. It ended up being assigned 4 days before the cruise the last time we did a guarantee. We've a guarantee for October that we expect to have the same scenario - it's not assigned yet.

But I would definitely expect this cruise to have a high likelihood of being cancelled, so any of this may well be a moot point!

Bonus is coastal kitchen though.... I'd go JS just for that.

21 minutes ago, beardedladies said:

We've booked loads of guarantee rooms from Southampton, including suite guarantees. Up to last year yes, they were often assigned quite early on. Last year though they appear to have changed their approach - the guarantee rooms are assigned very late, to the point that we started wondering if there even was a suite available. It ended up being assigned 4 days before the cruise the last time we did a guarantee. We've a guarantee for October that we expect to have the same scenario - it's not assigned yet.

But I would definitely expect this cruise to have a high likelihood of being cancelled, so any of this may well be a moot point!

Bonus is coastal kitchen though.... I'd go JS just for that.

Thanks for the reply

yes we are under no illusion that it has a very strong chance of being cancelled, so many possibilities at the moment, thought it worth a gamble for a good rate and see what happens. Also thinking if it does sail it will hopefully be reduced capacity so we get a cruise in the summer holidays which isn't the usual rammed chaos it normally is LOL!

think I will just give it a week and see what happens

1 hour ago, Peewee14 said:

thanks for the replies, 

yes I know it might not be assigned for a while, however most GTY I have booked in the past seem to be assigned quite early

My plan was to hang on a few days, keep an eye on price and if its still not assigned make the switch.

to be honest we would be ok with a JS anyway, and are still a little unsure if to go JS or 2 x interconnecting balconies, my wife likes the idea of a bath tub

We got lucky a year or so ago when a GTY Suite turned into a 2 bedroom GS, guess I am hoping for a little of the same!  Wishful thinking maybe.

worst case for the price we paid, a JS would be fine anyway.

Its 16th August from Southampton , so there is a very real chance it will not sail anyway, which we are fully prepared for.

Right now you can get 2 connecting regular balconies for $8000.00 total.................It would be more square footage total then a JS if that is what you get, plus with 2 cabins you will have 2 bathrooms..............

How much more then $8000 did you pay for the JS GTY ?

I would get the 2 cabins rather then the JS GTY, and here is another reason..........when this cruise is canceled most likley you are going to be able to Lift and Shift it to 2021.......... so now you get to book 2 cabins  with price protection..........I can pretty much guarantee you there will not be a JS GTY even offered right now on that same cruise next year at this time.............thus you will only be able to shift the to a regular JS......with NO chance at anything higher then a regular JS.

Switch to the 2 cabins NOW and give up on the  Suite GTY on a sailing that is not going to sail.