IONA Maiden Voyage G024?

Findus Stander

2 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

The word on the grapevine is that the cruise lines have already been making the changes needed to conform to social distancing. They are just waiting on the green light. Carnival are sailing in 5 weeks time.

I believe that Arnold Donald the Carnival President has already scotched that in a recent interview with Cruise Critic, probably late autumn at the earliest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe that Arnold Donald the Carnival President has already scotched that in a recent interview with Cruise Critic, probably late autumn at the earliest.

Ah yes I just saw the new date is August 1st aim!

Fingers crossed 🙂

I mean with everyone seemingly ignoring the lockdown now anyway, I think the government are likely to give up trying to protect people soon!

31 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

Ah yes I just saw the new date is August 1st aim!

Fingers crossed 🙂

I mean with everyone seemingly ignoring the lockdown now anyway, I think the government are likely to give up trying to protect people soon!

I think they’ve already given up.  That’s becoming increasingly clear, unlike the strategy.

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Barnard Castle was a turning point for a lot of people.

It's done incredible damage,  and probably accounts for the worryingly increased infection rates in the south west and north west which could lead to further local lockdowns. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's done incredible damage,  and probably accounts for the worryingly increased infection rates in the south west and north west which could lead to further local lockdowns. 

Absolutely agree.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Or perhaps nothing to do with anything, 

For people who live in County Durham like us it is and to everyone else on here too except possibly just you.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

For people who live in County Durham like us it is and to everyone else on here too except possibly just you.

I doubt the events in Minneapolis had much to do with Durham and even less to do with Iona or demonstrations in UK. But if you thinks so !. Not just me, but my opinion matters and to me events in Durham are history and not related to cruising.

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I doubt the events in Minneapolis had much to do with Durham and even less to do with Iona or demonstrations in UK. But if you thinks so !. Not just me, but my opinion matters and to me events in Durham are history and not related to cruising.

We are talking about the coronavirus which is related to cruising because cruising has stopped and this gentleman who thought a birthday treat for his wife going to a tourist town when everyone else was threatened with a fine if we drove more than 5 minutes from home has changed people's opinions up here.

What happened in Minneapolis is shocking but not related to this cruising thread.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Down here in the South West we have the lowest number of infections in the country, but probably because of an alleged reckless number of drunken VE day parties on May 8 in Weston Super Mare which resulted in Weston General Hospital being overwhelmed to the point of closure a couple of weeks or so later, the rate of infection increased so the number of cases per 1,000  people in the region made the R number rise.

The Bernard Castle fiasco was too recent to cause that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you might find that the hot weather was a far bigger influence than poor old Dominic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think you might find that the hot weather was a far bigger influence than poor old Dominic.

I think it matters little WHAT influenced people. What matters is that people felt the need to ignore the advice. Let's hope that we can recover swiftly and get back to sailing with minimal disruptions. I doubt any of us want a cruise where everyone has to stay away from each other, wear masks and be served food through screens!

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Poor old Dominic? Are you serious? 

There's been hot weather before but by and large people complied. Since Cummings large numbers of people have given up bothering, and that's further evidenced by the race demos.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cummings definitely did tremendous damage and now it looks like we are headed for a second wave and lock down based on the number of people protesting as a result of the US police killing George Floyd. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Poor old Dominic? Are you serious? 

There's been hot weather before but by and large people complied. Since Cummings large numbers of people have given up bothering, and that's further evidenced by the race demos.

Are you suggesting the demonstrations have anything to do with him , or are they influenced by Minneapolis.

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Are you suggesting the demonstrations have anything to do with him , or are they influenced by Minneapolis.

The root cause is America, of course, but the widespread disregard of the law stems from the contempt which Cummings showed for it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We are talking about the coronavirus which is related to cruising because cruising has stopped and this gentleman who thought a birthday treat for his wife going to a tourist town when everyone else was threatened with a fine if we drove more than 5 minutes from home has changed people's opinions up here.

What happened in Minneapolis is shocking but not related to this cruising thread.

Graham.

Absolute rubbish, Barry Gardiner did far worse by taking part in the protests and admitting he didn't social distance. Cummings had no contact with anyone, but hey don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Observer view on the government's handling of the Covid-19 crisis

Observer editorial:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/07/the-observer-view-on-the-governments-handling-of-the-covid-19-crisis

"The government has so far proved too willing to take reckless risks with people’s lives. It must be called to account for that sooner rather than later."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Absolute rubbish, Barry Gardiner did far worse by taking part in the protests and admitting he didn't social distance. Cummings had no contact with anyone, but hey don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.

No need to be nasty to a fellow Princess Elite member.

Living near Durham we are one of the highest infected area's of the country and Cummings arrogance has annoyed many up here who were strictly adhering to advice.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

No need to be nasty to a fellow Princess Elite member.

Living near Durham we are one of the highest infected area's of the country and Cummings arrogance has annoyed many up here who were strictly adhering to advice.

This only came to light because some ‘gold digger’ thought they would make a few Bob by going to the media. It was all about the man and not what he did.

if you have a higher infection rate I suggest you look closer to home for reasons, not one man and his family keeping themselves to themselves.

• Like 1