Flightseeing advice

cat shepard

Hi everyone

We have decided to do flightseeing tours in Denali, and in Ketchikan- Misty Fiords.

Both offer several time options. 

Has anyone done these tours at different times? Does the chance of fog increase with a morning departure time? I asked both companies, but both said the time of day does not make a difference. But I thought I would also ask you, just to cover all my bases.

Is it simply the luck of the draw?

Thanks for any help you can offer!  Stay well.

When we did Misty Fjords with Island Wings, we had spectacular weather in mid May except that the flyover of Soule Glacier which was cancelled due to clouds over it. We also had spectacular weather on Denali with the glacier landing at base camp with Talkeetna Air Taxi. We had the 10am flight and by noon the mountain was beginning to get obscured by clouds. So the luck of the draw sounds about right. Our several days in Denali gave us the best and outstanding views prior to mid to late day. I don't know what the stats are but that was our experience. Weather could not have been better when we were in the air both days just b4 noon.

9 hours ago, masterdrago said:

When we did Misty Fjords with Island Wings, we had spectacular weather in mid May except that the flyover of Soule Glacier which was cancelled due to clouds over it. We also had spectacular weather on Denali with the glacier landing at base camp with Talkeetna Air Taxi. We had the 10am flight and by noon the mountain was beginning to get obscured by clouds. So the luck of the draw sounds about right. Our several days in Denali gave us the best and outstanding views prior to mid to late day. I don't know what the stats are but that was our experience. Weather could not have been better when we were in the air both days just b4 noon.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I appreciate it so much. I know it is a roll of the dice, but....

Have only done Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan (also with Island Wings).  Was there mid-June.

I wouldn't think time of day would matter a lot unless there's a drastic weather change from morning to afternoon.  That said, most Ketchikan stops aren't very long, so you may only be looking at the difference in morning or mid-morning OR mid-morning or early afternoon.

I went in the morning, because we docked at 7am and our back on board was 12:15pm.

Michelle, the pilot and owner, showed immediately that she wanted us to have a great tour....did a quick circle back over the Narrows so we could see a pod of Orcas she noticed.
The day I went, it was overcast with just a mist of rain.  Wondered how good the views would be as we boarded, but I shouldn't have.  I truly believe she would've given us the chance to cancel if she thought the weather would impact our views.  If I go again, I'll do a repeat with her.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Have only done Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan (also with Island Wings).  Was there mid-June.

I wouldn't think time of day would matter a lot unless there's a drastic weather change from morning to afternoon.  That said, most Ketchikan stops aren't very long, so you may only be looking at the difference in morning or mid-morning OR mid-morning or early afternoon.

I went in the morning, because we docked at 7am and our back on board was 12:15pm.

Michelle, the pilot and owner, showed immediately that she wanted us to have a great tour....did a quick circle back over the Narrows so we could see a pod of Orcas she noticed.
The day I went, it was overcast with just a mist of rain.  Wondered how good the views would be as we boarded, but I shouldn't have.  I truly believe she would've given us the chance to cancel if she thought the weather would impact our views.  If I go again, I'll do a repeat with her.

Thank you. We will be going with Island Wings.  

• Like 1

I’ve flown both areas multiple times.    (25+*** each).  There is no predictability

🤩.      You may just want to schedule according to what fits your port time most efficiently.  (Especially if you aren’t a frequent traveler there).   Are you considering other touring?   Having adequate blocks of time would be essential.  

With Denali-  have you carefully looked at the various route details?  I find this is an area that is frequently neglected.   I find it essential.  🤩🤩.   I have flown various routes and there are significant differences.  I certainly have my preferences.   You need to determine YOURS.    

I’m very picky with my vendors.    In Ketchikan-  there are also other superb pilots,  as example.    🤩.   

• Thanks 1