CANADA-Health & Cancellation Insurance with Covid?

CruisinFinsUp

Hi, 
EDITED 

I just noticed the US thread by Steve Dasseos.  His answers are US only. 

So I'll edit this to ask ONLY about Canadian - Ontario residents- insurance. 

---

I'm wondering if anyone has done any current research on travel insurance - both health and cancellation - for travel from now on. 

I had read news items a couple months ago that said some insurance was specifically excluding coverage for Covid related issues but I haven't seen anything since.  

I'm curious if anyone has seen any current policies (Princess or other)  and what they say. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by cruisintoddler

All I was told over the phone from an insurance seller (big box) was that until Canada lifts the "No travel advisory", they will not be insuring for any COVID related expenses if we travel.  Not sure if this is the same with other companies.

Don

• Like 2

Too soon to know what changes are coming. In Ontario our borders are closed I wouldn’t mind a rebate for the months we cannot travel. On my annual Alliance travel medical policy. My car insurance company is giving one. 

Yes, private insurance won't cover covid risk. That's because the cost of a stay in a quarantine ICU is very expensive. The premium charged by the insurance companies is trivial.

And, insurance companies are reluctant to provide coverage at any price because the risk posed by a new disease is unknown.

Rather, Canadian and European travelers need to depend on their public universal insurance. As I understand it, the provinces have a reciprocal arrangement for their residents. So, it is possible to travel with medical protection anywhere n Canada.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/practitioner-pro/medical-services-plan/moa_11.pdf

Ditto for the Europeans and their national health programs.

Not surprising that the European cruise companies will likely be the first to restart.

Edited by HappyInVan

I agree with the above.  As long as the federal government has a travel restriction advisory, all insurers have an "out" to exclude anything related to COVID-19.  Check with the provider, but if you are able to travel, you should be able to find that coverage is good for anything else.  Depends on your risk tolerance  - will you catch it and will you require medical attention/intervention.