Horizon Havana Cabana versus Aft balcony

Terab85

We're looking at booking a 6 day on the Horizon for Sept 2021.  I thought the Havana Cabana's were cool looking but DH thinks we won't have any privacy and is thinking of a Aft balcony on deck 8.  Any thoughts or advice?  

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Havana definitely for the private area.

Both are Havana.  Was wondering if anyone who had the cabana cabins felt like they didn't have any privacy compared to a aft balcony?

The cabana "patios" are open to the outside walk way, so people in the Havana area can walk by and see you on your patio... but it's only that small amount of people.. and if you're away from the pool area, you'd likely only see your direct neighbors. The aft balconies are up a floor or two, so they are private and no one would be walking by.

• Thanks 1

We enjoyed a Havana aft balcony a couple of years ago on the Vista.  The cabin was larger and the balcony was huge (deck 6, right above the pool).  I think the balconies are smaller the higher up you go.  It was very convenient to Havana pool and food on deck 5.  There were 2 lounge chairs, 2 sit up chairs and a table and still lots of room.  The views were beautiful.

However, the deck was sunny all the time, and it was very hot (cruise in the Caribbean). There are no breezes on an aft balcony.  People from balconies above us could look down on our balcony.  That did not bother me, but I cannot take a lot of sun.  My husband did not like the long walk to the back of the ship to get to our cabin.  I think of it as exercise.

We kept the curtains closed to help the air conditioning stay cool.

I have not stayed in a Havana cabana room, but the view does not look to be good.  There is glass on the sides of the ship on that level, so you have to look through that to see out.

Given the choice I would stay in the balcony aft rather than the cabana in spite of the hot sun.  When all of this virus goes away, I want to sail in a Havana balcony, but not aft, on the Horizon.  I really love the Havana area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

We had a Havana aft wrap on Horizon in 2018. We like being able to sit on the balcony and watch the ocean go by, and the cabanas really don't let you do that.

Yeah, it looks like you can't see the ocean

I was trying to decide the same thing.

My husband would not go for people walking by our balcony and the no privacy issue.

I booked deck 8 Havana Extended Aft Balcony.  It cost a pretty penny, but we never had an Extended Aft before.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Based on the replies you’ve received, sounds like your sun goddess DH will like the aft balcony. Hope you have a great cruise T. We’ll see on part two of your b2b.
Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

21 hours ago, GaHawkeye said:

Based on the replies you’ve received, sounds like your sun goddess DH will like the aft balcony. Hope you have a great cruise T. We’ll see on part two of your b2b.
Hank

Thanks Hank!  We'll keep it in mind if we decide to do the b2b on the Horizon. 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 7:55 PM, GaHawkeye said:

Hank
Yes, hope so....thank you

We were on the Horizon for Thanksgiving 2018 and we LOVED  the quiet and the privacy of the Havana area during the day and the Havana music at night.  We had a Havana Cabana and did not feel that privacy from passing guests was a big issue.  There just aren't that many other Havana passengers going back and forth out there.  However, a BIG issue for me was the fact that the patio furniture was SO uncomfortable that it was almost unusable.  The shaded seating next to the bar in the Havana pool area became the area where we spent all day every day when we weren't in port.  

To try to make a long story short, I would definitely get a balcony cabin in the Havana area next time, but not a Havana cabana.