Ocean Cay Cabanas - assigned onboard?

luvavacation

We just booked a November 8 Seaside departure from Port Canaveral.  I tried to reserve a cabana on Ocean Cay, but every single option is showing that the excursion is sold out.  

We are staying in Yacht Club, but I will take any cabana.  I love the beach, but I get major headaches from too much sun, and need to be in shade often.  For everyone's happiness, it is best for this mom to be happy, too!

I called MSC.  After a long hold, I had a very nice agent try to figure out if anything was available (maybe there was a glitch on the regular website?), but she said she can only book from November 13th and beyond.  She said that the cabanas for the just changed sailings will only be available to book onboard.

Hmmm.

Is anyone on a changed sailing for early November able to book an Ocean Cay cabana online?  Has anyone else been told that it is only available to book onboard?

I don't think leaving the YC area just to get a cabana is justifiable.  In fact based on what I've seen I don't think I'd be willing to spend the money on a cabana if I were in the YC area.  I too hate direct sun exposure but would be fine with the available umbrellas in YC. 

The actual cabana numbers are assigned on board and I was told they do keep some held back from online booking.

Thanks for the info, Até.

Do you happen to know if there are enough umbrellas for all of the Yacht Club passengers?  Are they all set up when you arrive, or do I have to order those ahead of time, too?

I like the idea of the Cabana, and when we have rented them on Disney's island we have always felt they were absolutely worth the expense.  However, if I miss out on the cabana but can still have some good shade to retreat to if needed, then I may just spend that saved money on some golden, shiny souvenir! 😁

I've not yet made it to Ocean Cay so have to rely on reports here.  I've had cabanas reserved but OC got cancelled every time.  After reading reports it's unlikely I would consider one if I were in YC.  You can search images of the cabanas, they are small and only have room for a couple chairs and small table inside.  All reports I've seen say the YC area has umbrellas at no charge for the YC guests.  There is also the shaded YC restaurant/bar area close by.  I'm sure others who made it there can add more.

When we visited OC last year (we were the 2nd ship to go to OC) the cabanas at the YC were not anything we would have wanted even if they were free.  We simply walked down to near the water's edge and grabbed two perfectly located loungers.  Within a couple of minutes a staff person came over and set up our large beach umbrella.  The cabanas were well behind us (far from the water) and were a small concrete area with some chairs and the small cabana.  We did not see any advantage or reason for a cabana and preferred being a couple of feet from the water.  There were also some cabanas on a some of the higher land (not beach) which we thought were even less desirable.

Hank

• Like 1

We were in the Yacht Club on the Meraviglia in March 2020.  Ocean Cay was awesome.  I have to agree, the Cabanas were way over priced.  We were impressed with the food , bar service and the free umbrellas on the beach.  MSC could have done a better job providing smooth sand instead of the rough crushed stone on the beach. Better yet, having the beach area to the left of he Club House to Yacht Club guests.  Smooth sand, clear water and no wind.  

We're booked on the Mera a week before you and NOTHING is available for booking "excursions" on OC for this cruise.  I seriously doubt that it's all sold out, so I assume it's a website problem or they just haven't been able to load anything yet due to theww recent itinerary schuffle.  Keep checking and as a last resort, try again once onboard.

Thanks everyone for the information.  I suppose I will just wait and see what happens once we get to Ocean Cay.  

I figure our first day there will be spent exploring around Ocean Cay and climbing up the lighthouse.  If we end up only using the included umbrellas on the second day, so be it.  I have come to realize that the cabanas are not quite the relaxing and luxurious experience I was anticipating (the pictures online do cause one to pause, but I thought that surely for $400 there was more than just 3 walls and a roof and I was just missing that view?)!

12 hours ago, eagletwo said:

We were in the Yacht Club on the Meraviglia in March 2020.  Ocean Cay was awesome.  I have to agree, the Cabanas were way over priced.  We were impressed with the food , bar service and the free umbrellas on the beach.  MSC could have done a better job providing smooth sand instead of the rough crushed stone on the beach. Better yet, having the beach area to the left of he Club House to Yacht Club guests.  Smooth sand, clear water and no wind.  

We also thought there could be some improvements to the YC beach or they should use that area you mentioned.  But when we were at the OC (last December) the island was still a "work in progress" and we look forward to getting back to OC and seeing what has changed.  For example, during our visit they had not yet finished the kitchen building they will use for the YC.  This limited the menu options.  When talking to the head butler he also told us that MSC was well aware of the awful rest room situation at the YC area and had plans to remedy the situation.

Hank