Dancing of the Ships After Cruising Resumes

mattcj89

Perhaps the ports should join the dance of the ships. I personally would like to see the Carnival ship in Charleston  move to Savannah.  The Cruiseport in Charleston is congested, and  is not easily accessed. It is not an understatement to say that many Charleston residents are less than enthused about having the cruise ship there in the midst of their historical district. Fees from there are steep compared to the Florida ports.  Savannah is more accessible  (Right off I-95 and I-16 and a new international airport) and already has a small cruiseport for river vessels - and the city has expressed interest in expansion of it.  This time of transition  would be an excellent time for Carnival to actively pursue negotiations with Savannah to bring its ships there. (I also think Savannah is an interesting and far more affordable city for pre-and post-cruise stays). 

Savannah also has a bridge problem...the usual turning basin is above the bridge.  There is no terminal.  River cruise vessels dock along River Street as a port stop.  Been there, watched it happen.  American Cruise Lines used to have a port stop on Tuesdays arriving late afternoon.  I had to be in Savannah Tuesdays evenings, and would eat on River Street after I watched the ships come in.  EM

On 7/9/2020 at 2:22 PM, Radiioman46 said:

I notice that there are no mentions of any changes for the port in Galveston. Does that mean that we can still count on the same ships in Galveston in the future?

I think the pre-covid plan was Radiance replacing Freedom, Breeze taking the Dream's 4-5 day cruises, and Dream going to a 6-8 day cruises. I believe that's still the plan.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I think the pre-covid plan was Radiance replacing Freedom, Breeze taking the Dream's 4-5 day cruises, and Dream going to a 6-8 day cruises. I believe that's still the plan.

I agree.  Granted, this is an old article, but I've not heard anything of the contrary:

"Carnival to Base Four Ships in Galveston Year-Round"

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21725-carnival-to-base-four-ships-in-galveston-year-round.html

• 2 weeks later...

With Radiance set to be deployed to Long Beach, I'm wondering if the 2022 newbuild will bump Sunrise from Miami to Galveston in late 2022. Horizon has sailings for sale as far out as April 2023. Magic could also be on the table as her bookings don't go out as far as November 2022 yet.

17 hours ago, tidecat said:

With Radiance set to be deployed to Long Beach, I'm wondering if the 2022 newbuild will bump Sunrise from Miami to Galveston in late 2022. Horizon has sailings for sale as far out as April 2023. Magic could also be on the table as her bookings don't go out as far as November 2022 yet.

Galveston will not get the Sunrise. The Sunrise and the Radiance will likely stay at their new homeports for 5+ years from when service resumes doing the same short cruises that they are now going to do. Carnival just took four ships out of service, so Galveston will more likely than not have three Carnival ships for next several years as a result. Galveston can easily find another cruise line to fill that berth once the Allure finally shows up. The Horizon will likely be placed on the 7-night route that the Sunrise was supposed to do next year. The earliest that Galveston can likely see a fourth ship would be in 2025 or 2026, if they decide to build the third vessel of the Mardi Gras class.

Edited by ch09