Delta credit deadline?

39august

I believe the last notification I had from Delta was that credits from cancelled air tickets which were purchased before the virus hit would be good until the end of May 2022. Can anyone confirm if this is correct, please?

Best that you check the specific verbiage on the DL website - and print it out for your files.  Any confirmation here would be insufficient for that question, IMO.

Also, the various criteria have changed over time, as have the dates for applicable purchases and dates for applicable travel.  There is no one blanket policy for all tickets, purchased at all dates, for travel on all dates.  In addition, there have been different criteria depending on whether the credits were due to a passenger cancellation of a ticket or the airline's cancellation of flights.

Do you have to book before/by July 30th to get the one time no change fee and expiration of Sept 30, 2022...I can't seem to find that Sept info on their website...this is for DL flights. Thanks if you can explain this to me....I appreciate your help.

Edited by Ashland

From the Delta website:

"Can I change or cancel my flight?

It‘s easy to cancel, make changes or rebook online. Visit My Trips to make changes to your flight(s) any time before your travel date. We’re now waiving change fees and Award redeposit fees providing greater flexibility to travel using eCredits through September 30, 2022, for customers who:   

have upcoming travel already booked for March through September 30, 2020 as of April 17, 2020 

have existing eCredits or canceled travel from flights in March through September 30, 2020    

Tickets purchased between March 1 and July 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee or Award redeposit fees for a year from the date you purchased it."

I agree its a bit confusing, it appears that my tickets were purchased during the applicable time frame but if you are planning to purchase before July 31  it sounds like you would incur no change fee so long as you rebook within 1 year and any ecredit would

likewise expire 1 year from the date you purchase if you subsequently cancel the flight. 

My guess is that if that July 31 date is not extended then any cancellation by the passenger for a ticket bought Aug 1 and later

would incur the usual penalty of a change fee. The time to use an ecredit  will still  be 1 year from the date of  purchase as that is the pre Covid rule.

Hope this helps but keep in mind unlike most other posters here, I am no expert just been down this road a few times.

---------------------------

Helen

Well, since the OP has not given us:

When the tickets were purchased

When the travel was for

What cities were involved

When the ticket was cancelled

Who initiated the cancellation

What terms were agreed to at the cancellation (credit vs refund)

There is no way to give any kind of information with any degree of certainty.  For the devil is in the details.

And that, unfortunately, applies to all kinds of refund/credit/extension questions.  There are no blanket answers applicable to all.  Or even most.

6 hours ago, Ms Understood said:

From the Delta website:

"Can I change or cancel my flight?

It‘s easy to cancel, make changes or rebook online. Visit My Trips to make changes to your flight(s) any time before your travel date. We’re now waiving change fees and Award redeposit fees providing greater flexibility to travel using eCredits through September 30, 2022, for customers who:   

have upcoming travel already booked for March through September 30, 2020 as of April 17, 2020 

have existing eCredits or canceled travel from flights in March through September 30, 2020    

Tickets purchased between March 1 and July 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee or Award redeposit fees for a year from the date you purchased it."

I agree its a bit confusing, it appears that my tickets were purchased during the applicable time frame but if you are planning to purchase before July 31  it sounds like you would incur no change fee so long as you rebook within 1 year and any ecredit would

likewise expire 1 year from the date you purchase if you subsequently cancel the flight. 

My guess is that if that July 31 date is not extended then any cancellation by the passenger for a ticket bought Aug 1 and later

would incur the usual penalty of a change fee. The time to use an ecredit  will still  be 1 year from the date of  purchase as that is the pre Covid rule.

Hope this helps but keep in mind unlike most other posters here, I am no expert just been down this road a few times.

---------------------------

Helen

Thanks so much Helen for taking the time to post.

I've actually done lot's of air travel over the years but only once had to cancel and that was just recently when our May cruise was cancelled.

Luckily DL had changed our flight time by over 8 hours and they easily let me cancel and refunded the entire cost back to my credit card..a big chunk of cash as I had purchased 10 tickets for our extended family trip.

I'm considering booking flights for our (just the two of us) March 2021 cruise and was questioning if I have to change that to one of our other booked trips for 2021 what the policy is. So many details to consider now, not as easy as it use to be.

Again, thanks for your response.