Slider doors on Viking balcony

knoxclone

1 hour ago, JMed0115 said:

Do you have interior pictures if both types by any chance?

Here's a door version. Opens inward. Sorry not tidy. Call it well lived in after 13 days. 

94842541-631D-4A47-8A99-D84261FC74B2.jpeg

2B7E3F30-80BB-478D-B175-D29F63B5C3AC.jpeg

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

Wow, to be honest with you - this cabin looks very nice. I mean it  looks almost like a hotel room. Also I have noticed that the floor is quite high, you cab basically have a panoramic view on the city from there. This is crazy. I also like the fact that the room got a sofa right by the windows.. I would spend much of my time there just chilling with a book and a laptop 

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Wow, to be honest with you - this cabin looks very nice. I mean it  looks almost like a hotel room. Also I have noticed that the floor is quite high, you cab basically have a panoramic view on the city from there. This is crazy. I also like the fact that the room got a sofa right by the windows.. I would spend much of my time there just chilling with a book and a laptop 

No laptop but iPad (his) and iPadMini (mine). 😁  Cabin 513. 

Edited by CharTrav

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Here's one with a slider.

PV Sliding Glass Door.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JMed0115 said:

This is very helpful to understand the difference between the regular room and slider room. Thank you.

You are welcome. I had to go thru the same sort of investigation to (a) learn there were two window arrangements, and (b) to evaluate the pros and cons. Fortunately, DW was able to relieve me of the burden of the final decision in favor of the slider.

Edited by What was that?
clarification

26 minutes ago, What was that? said:

You are welcome. I had to go thru the same sort of investigation to (a) learn there were two window arrangements, and (b) to evaluate the pros and cons. Fortunately, DW was able to relieve me of the burden of the final decision in favor of the slider.

Right now we are in the standard PV room but showed the pic to DW and she will decide if we want to change. I’m fine with the standard door.

1 hour ago, JMed0115 said:

Right now we are in the standard PV room but showed the pic to DW and she will decide if we want to change. I’m fine with the standard door.

I don't think there is any "standard" PV room (Penthouse Veranda).  There are ones with doors and ones with sliders.  Here again is the list of rooms with sliders.  If yours is not on this list, you have a door/window.

Viking Ocean - PV Rooms with Sliders.pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I don't think there is any "standard" PV room (Penthouse Veranda).  There are ones with doors and ones with sliders.  Here again is the list of rooms with sliders.  If yours is not on this list, you have a door/window.

Viking Ocean - PV Rooms with Sliders.pdf 207.95 kB · 2 downloads

When I said standard PV, I meant one with a door not a slider. Are there different window/door combinations throughout the ship even within the PV category?

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

When I said standard PV, I meant one with a door not a slider. Are there different window/door combinations throughout the ship even within the PV category?

Apparently there are the swinging door arrangement and the sliding door arrangement. Beyond that there are probably "left" and "right" versions - whether the stateroom entrance is on the left of the living space or the right. From the sliding door table, it appears the port and starboard PV cabins are mirror images. So let's see, on the port side there are the two door arrangements, and two handed (left or right) arrangements which makes four different layouts, then the mirror images on the starboard side of the ship, but those would be topologically the same as cabins on the port side.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Edited by What was that?
clarity

15 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Apparently there are the swinging door arrangement and the sliding door arrangement. Beyond that there are probably "left" and "right" versions - whether the stateroom entrance is on the left of the living space or the right. From the sliding door table, it appears the port and starboard PV cabins are mirror images. So let's see, on the port side there are the two door arrangements, and two handed (left or right) arrangements which makes four different layouts, then the mirror images on the starboard side of the ship, but those would be topologically the same as cabins on the port side.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Thanks for the details! 🙂 

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

Hi JM0115 -

Semantics semantics....

I have not heard of either PV version (Sliders or Window/Doors) being referred to as "Standard PV".

There are 16 PV3's (all on 4th deck); 40 PV2's (24 on 5th deck, 16 of 6th deck); 48 PV1's (24 on 5th deck; 24 on 6th deck) for a total of 104 PV Penthouse Veranda Staterooms.

There are also exactly 52 PV's with Sliders and 52 PV's with Door/Windows.

Doesn't sound like any "standard"

8 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi JM0115 -

Semantics semantics....

I have not heard of either PV version (Sliders or Window/Doors) being referred to as "Standard PV".

There are 16 PV3's (all on 4th deck); 40 PV2's (24 on 5th deck, 16 of 6th deck); 48 PV1's (24 on 5th deck; 24 on 6th deck) for a total of 104 PV Penthouse Veranda Staterooms.

There are also exactly 52 PV's with Sliders and 52 PV's with Door/Windows.

Doesn't sound like any "standard"

Very detailed information!  Again, it was a semantic error on my part when I said "standard"!

I believe I know the answer, but please confirm that there is no difference in the rooms between PV1, PV2, and PV3 other than what you wrote above?  All the PVs have the same amenities...?

11 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

I believe I know the answer, but please confirm that there is no difference in the rooms between PV1, PV2, and PV3 other than what you wrote above?  All the PVs have the same amenities...?

Here is what I copied from the VO website when trying to decide which stateroom category to book for a B2B Iberian Explorer/In Search of the Northern Lights:

Viking Star Stateroom Amenities.pdf PV PS DV Stateroom Comparison.pdf

55 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Very detailed information!  Again, it was a semantic error on my part when I said "standard"!

Yes JM0115 - all the PV's have the same layouts and amenities.

The real difference is location on board the ship.   PV3 is up forward but down on 4th deck.  PV2's are back aways towards midships and PV1's are theoretically in the most desirable place in the more aft part of the ship.

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

No difference between PV1, 2, 3 except for the deck level. Ditto for all the other classes except ES where being fore or aft as well as deck level matters, affecting the suite size as well. 

There are mirrored pairs of PV sliders alternating with mirrored pairs of PV swing-outs. It will be the same on both sides of the ship. The specifics will be different on decks 4, 5 and 6 due to the relative location of the 'first' cabin on each deck because of the angled front of the ship. However, all PV cabins are identical with regard to amenities and size.

We were in 5021, PV2 with door, Starboard side forward, and felt it was a great location. Our room was such that our feet pointed toward the bow when lying in bed. The mirrored cabin next to us (5019) would have also had a door, but with feet facing the stern. On the other side (5023) would have been a slider, probably with feet facing the stern, followed by its mirror (5025), a slider with feet facing the bow. You get the idea.

Our cabin was a short distance ahead of the forward elevators, despite the Deck Plan showing it being right across from them.

We were two flights up to the Explorer's Lounge and Mamsen's on the same side, or aft to the Wintergarden, pool and World Cafe. Three flights down to the Theater on the same side, or aft to the shops and Torshaven, or all the way aft to the Restaurant. Four flights down to the Spa on the same side or aft to the Living Room and specialty restaurants.

I felt it was a perfect location. However, I imagine everyone gets the sense that their cabin is in the perfect location, because the layout of the whole ship is extremely convenient, and being a small ship, nothing is very far away.

I stressed unnecessarily about the location and the fact that our cabin was going to have a door instead of a slider. In the end, it just really didn't matter. At all.

If you want to avoid the possibility of noise from above or below, anywhere on deck 4 or 5 would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes JM0115 - all the PV's have the same layouts and amenities.

The real difference is location on board the ship.   PV3 is up forward but down on 4th deck.  PV2's are back aways towards midships and PV1's are theoretically in the most desirable place in the more aft part of the ship.

Thanks for reminding me that deck placement is also a factor. PV3 is deck 4 forward. PV2 is deck 5 forward. PV1 is deck 5 aft and deck 6 aft & forward. We've gotten to like 513. I have fun waving at the bridge crew from our verandah when they happen to look our way. 😊

Edited by CharTrav

There are mirrored pairs of PV sliders alternating with mirrored pairs of PV swing-outs. It will be the same on both sides of the ship. The specifics will be different on decks 4, 5 and 6 due to the relative location of the 'first' cabin on each deck because of the angled front of the ship. However, all PV cabins are identical with regard to amenities and size.
We were in 5021, PV2 with door, Starboard side forward, and felt it was a great location. Our room was such that our feet pointed toward the bow when lying in bed. The mirrored cabin next to us (5019) would have also had a door, but with feet facing the stern. On the other side (5023) would have been a slider, probably with feet facing the stern, followed by its mirror (5025), a slider with feet facing the bow. You get the idea.
Our cabin was a short distance ahead of the forward elevators, despite the Deck Plan showing it being right across from them.
We were two flights up to the Explorer's Lounge and Mamsen's on the same side, or aft to the Wintergarden, pool and World Cafe. Three flights down to the Theater on the same side, or aft to the shops and Torshaven, or all the way aft to the Restaurant. Four flights down to the Spa on the same side or aft to the Living Room and specialty restaurants.
I felt it was a perfect location. However, I imagine everyone gets the sense that their cabin is in the perfect location, because the layout of the whole ship is extremely convenient, and being a small ship, nothing is very far away.
I stressed unnecessarily about the location and the fact that our cabin was going to have a door instead of a slider. In the end, it just really didn't matter. At all.
If you want to avoid the possibility of noise from above or below, anywhere on deck 4 or 5 would be perfect.

I forgot about the direction you sleep in. Good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is certainly personal preference, but we had the door in our PV and I think I would have much preferred the single, center mounted slider.  The ability to have a nice, unobstructed view outside is hindered by the section of wall that separates the door and the window, IMO.

This is certainly personal preference, but we had the door in our PV and I think I would have much preferred the single, center mounted slider.  The ability to have a nice, unobstructed view outside is hindered by the section of wall that separates the door and the window, IMO.
I agree it's personal preference, but we enjoyed having a window rather than a wall next to the sofa, enabling a less obstructed view from there.
To each his/her own.

• Thanks 1