QEII Hotel documentary UK TV

Ray66

QEII The World's Most Luxurious Hotel. 

Three part documentary on Channel 5 starting Friday 24th July at 9pm.

Documentary series following life aboard the famous ocean liner, now a floating hotel.

• Thanks 2

I watched the first episode of the QE2 Hotel program this evening and enjoyed it. I thought the title "QE2: The World's Most Luxurious Hotel" was a bit presumptuous. But the narrator addressed that issue by stating QE2 is the world's most luxurious floating hotel during the show's introduction.

There was just enough QE2 history presented and enough behind-the-scenes segments to keep me interested. QM2 even played a significant role as they covered her visit to Dubai when guests from QM2 were some of the first guests of the QE2 Hotel. Captain Hashmi made a cameo appearance to tour the new QE2 Hotel.

I didn't particularly care for all the melodrama around whether room refurbishments would be done in time for VIP guests arriving from QM2 and whether the Queens Room renovation would be completed in time for a planned Burns Night gala. I suppose that was meant to add some intrigue to the plot to give it a reality show feel rather than being presented as just a standard documentary.

@Ray66 - thank you for the tip off earlier this week. I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary - it was nice to get a bit of a nostalgia fix during these cruise- free times. I sailed on QE2 during the 1990s with my mum - we got upgraded a couple of times into what they called the “penthouse” - the QG rooms with the balconies. We had booked pretty standard cabins with windows/port holes  and I still remember the excitement of opening up the ticket wallet and discovering that the upgrade fairy had been at work. (Sadly, she seems to have used up all her magic in the 1990s because my partner & I have never been upgraded!! 🙄☺️