The big one they forgot

beentothere

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

For many of us, nothing short of all crew and passengers having been vaccinated.

But if covid vaccination is as effective or ineffective as flu vaccination... it might not offer the level of protection you anticipate... and it could be quite a while before we know just how effective a vaccine ends up being... especially if, as Bill Gates expects, you will need multiple doses. At what frequency? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kearney said:

But if covid vaccination is as effective or ineffective as flu vaccination... it might not offer the level of protection you anticipate... and it could be quite a while before we know just how effective a vaccine ends up being... especially if, as Bill Gates expects, you will need multiple doses. At what frequency? 

Far too many variables to consider, but as I said, the minimum would be having everyone aboard vaccinated. If it is determined in the months to come that the vaccines are only marginally effective, then other measures can be considered. In the mean time, I'm not sure that all these "what if" threads and posts serve any useful purpose, other than exercising our minds. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you, but I sense that some people are taking it far too seriously.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Far too many variables to consider, but as I said, the minimum would be having everyone aboard vaccinated. If it is determined in the months to come that the vaccines are only marginally effective, then other measures can be considered. In the mean time, I'm not sure that all these "what if" threads and posts serve any useful purpose, other than exercising our minds. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you, but I sense that some people are taking it far too seriously.

The trial evaluations will not likely be available until year end, I am told.  It would then be a june rush for the first rounds

and again months before all cruise passengers would be inoculated. That places cruises not departing till the spring of

next year.  Taking it seriously is this little disease has killed at least on hundred thousand mostly innocent people and

semi maimed countless more. Many of those will not know the damage for decades. You know, lung capacity, kidney

failures....and some other nonsensical issues.

The small percentage that are not taking this seriously will take its toll. Cruise ships are a wonderfully successful breeding

ground for the virus. Lots of fresh meat!

On 7/25/2020 at 6:43 AM, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for the musings.

This would mean a 'skills' upgrade for sick bay staff on all ships....

The financial impact, along with enlarging the sick bay would be expensive.

I, personally, would prefer an active pre-boarding screening and re-screening to prevent one of us 'sick' ones from slipping through even to the point of a possible denial of boarding because of potential infection.

Yes, we will need to be ready for any false positive and false negatives and upset passengers... including ourselves.

Better to give a FCC and weather the ire of a passenger, than possibly infect a whole ship. IMO

In health and bon voyage

Unfortunately, this approach ignores the fact that people can be infected while on the ship at any port of call.  

Stage 3 has started right now in the U.S.   On the noon news in the D.C. area, they announced that Moderna was seeking volunteers for the vaccine.    They have a site where you go online and fill out a questionnaire.    Hopefully you will be contacted and told you are accepted.    If you are willing to be a test subject, now is your chance.