Avoid Adjoining Rooms on Constellation

MayrMN

My husband and I got back last Saturday from the 1/28 sailing of the Connie, and while I have intentions of telling X about this, I think its best if I give you all a warning.

Avoid these rooms if you don't want your 'beeswax' known to all, and/or if you don't like eavesdropping.

Luckily for us, the ladies next door spoke Quebecois French, and I can't understand a word of that. In anycase, even when they were carrying on in a completely conversational tone for an inside room, we could hear everything. When they came home late drunk a few times, it was like they were in the same room with us.

In fact, when they had their lights on, and ours were out, you could see light through the door jam. These doors need to be insulated.

We were in 9010, but I assume this to be the case ship wide.

Hope this helps you decide on a room or not.

Happy Sailing.

Thanks for the info. My first cruise was a connecting door one and I worried that we'd hear and be heard. We saw the couple on their balcony and spoke to them at the railing, but we never heard them inside the cabin. This was on Summit cabins 6093-95. Maybe we just lucked out.

Hi,

We've stayed in connecting staterooms aboard the M-class ships and have never had a sound problem at all.

We DID have a smoke problem one time. But the staff was ready and willing to add extra 'seal' to the connecting door. Unfortunately, the additional tape seal didn't completely eradicate the tobacco, so we resorted to commercial air freshener.

I wouldn't think the sound problem would have anything to do with stateroom placement. But FWIW we have been on deck 9.

CM

Have spent literally three years of my life in hotels, and it happens in hotels, too. Always has. My only regret is that I can't say I've spent as much time in noisy cruise ship cabins! Some hotel rooms (and ship cabins) and neighbors better than others.

Most of the time, I've employed one solution very successfully. Given that there was a "light gap", it was obviously significant.

TOWELS - THEY'RE NOT JUST FOR PITTSBURG FANS!

Did you give them a try?:rolleyes:

We had an adjoining door on our Conny cruise and never had a problem.
Sometimes we get lucky, too. We didn't have a problem on our Infinity cruise. The smoke problem was so severe on our Constellation cruise that we had to be moved to a different cabin. On one of our Millennium cruises the smoke was controlled by the duct tape. The noise was only obvious if I was wearing my hearing aid.:)

I'm curious to know where Tay is located.
Sorry, John, didn't see your question. Tay is a township in Ontario, Canada. We're located on the south east corner of Georgian Bay, ten kilometres east of Midland, 150 km north of Pearson Airport in Toronto.:) And yes, we got dumped on with snow last week. gotta love that 'lake effect':D

Sorry, John, didn't see your question. Tay is a township in Ontario, Canada. We're located on the south east corner of Georgian Bay, ten kilometres east of Midland, 150 km north of Pearson Airport in Toronto.:) And yes, we got dumped on with snow last week. gotta love that 'lake effect':D

Thanks, Offtune Angel

I am somewhat familiar with Toronto having spent short time there in 2001 on vacation. Took the "Canadian" train from Toronto to Vancouver in 2001. Flew to Montreal in 2002 and stayed a couple days and then took train to Halifax.

Hope you have dug out of the snow. You could use some of our springlike weather (near 80 fh today).

Thanks, Offtune Angel

I am somewhat familiar with Toronto having spent short time there in 2001 on vacation. Took the "Canadian" train from Toronto to Vancouver in 2001. Flew to Montreal in 2002 and stayed a couple days and then took train to Halifax.

Hope you have dug out of the snow. You could use some of our springlike weather (near 80 fh today).

One of my dreams is to take the "Canadian". In fact, our TA has a group booked on an Alaska cruise in June. After the cruise, they are going to Banff from Vancouver, by train. If I could only win that lottery...

I spent a few days in Montreal in for Expo '67. We were lucky enough to go to Halifax in 2003 we spent a week in Nova Scotia visiting friends.

As for being dug out of the snow, that's Doug's (my DH) department. When we returned home after our first cruise following DH's retirement we were faced w/ a driveway covered in two feet of snow -- in November (2002)! (It was an early winter that year). DH turned the car around, we went into Midland and he bought a snowblower. We didn't realize how popular DH was going to become. Most of our neighbours are retirees (who are currently in Texas, Arizona or Mexico) and cottagers (aka "summer folks"). We also have a couple of seniors who stay here year long. DH has taken it upon himself to make sure their driveways are kept cleared of snow. Actually, it's a good idea, because it gives those places a 'lived in and occupied' look -- deterring housebreaking incidents.

Enjoy your 80 degrees. (I hope that's Farenheit and not Celsius:D)

Terry

We were on the Connie Jan. 22-28 sailing in 9153 which had an adjoining door and not only was conversation heard but a shrill whistling air sound came through around the door at night when the ship was moving! Can't say why unless the neighbors had their slider open but I fixed it with some tape around the door (always carry some for sealing bottles, etc.)). Of course this didn't save us from the noise of those same neighbors on the balcony when they had a huge fight and the lady threw a plate at the guy, bouncing it off the glass partion separating us from them!!! We beat a hasty retreat inside...didn't hear a peep from next door after that since they didn't seem to be talking for the rest of the cruise.

We always make sure the cabins are not connecting...unless we want them to. Too many times you hear things that you don't want to hear...which reminds me of the NORWAY...LOL. Anyhow...connecting cabins are great if you have another couple travelling with you...but not if you have to listen to total strangers...which can be very strange...also reminding me of the NORWAY...LOL.

ROSS

We were on RCI's Vision a while back in a JS. There was a younger couple in the (non-connecting) cabin next to us. Never did figure out if his name was "Oh God!" or "Oh Yes!". One must keep a sense of humor about these things and that story has gotten many a laugh!!

Last month we never heard a peep for the cabin next to ours throught the adjoining door or otherwise.

The giant balcony was worth the risk. I would never discourage anyone from booking our CC cabin on deck six.

I have had neighbors in the past that were loud and early outdoor breakfast eaters. It just goes to show that you had to understand that you don't exactly have a ship all to yourself.

We always make sure the cabins are not connecting...unless we want them to. Too many times you hear things that you don't want to hear...which reminds me of the NORWAY...LOL. Anyhow...connecting cabins are great if you have another couple travelling with you...but not if you have to listen to total strangers...which can be very strange...also reminding me of the NORWAY...LOL.

ROSS

Actually, it can be a lot less strange if it's total strangers rather than the friends you'll be sitting across from at breakfast the next morning!:D

HI CANDERSON!!! Yes...you are right...I have had that experience several times . The funniest one was when it turned out to be 2 women. The absolute best one was on the NORWAY (you just knew I would tell this one didn't you). We had one of the Sky Suites (with thin walls) and we had a couple nextdoor and they did not come out of the cabin for 4 days. Even the stewards and stewardesses were laughing by the time this couple emerged from their cabin. Thank heavens they preferred mornings and afternoons rather than late nights...LOL!!!

ROSS

I've been in cabins on two cruises that were connecting, 6014 connecting to 6106 and in 6146 that connects to 6148 and I never heard anything from either of those cabins. I have heard screaming babies from a cabin next door that wasn't connecting, so I guess it doesn't matter---if it's going to be noisy, you're going to hear noise if it's connecting or not.

The answer is:

Duct tape completely around the door

Towels at the bottom

If noise persists,, fold towels up and duct tape them all around and you wont hear a thing.

I do this in hotels when it gets unbearable.

Don

Archived