Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Havent we already had Invergordon?

Apologies if I misled you. I hadn’t realised that Invergorden had been mentioned in relation to the meeting of the two Queen Elizabeths.

And, Yes, @bluemarble, taken from Cromarty.

Edited by Colin_Cameron

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

No idea after nine days?

25 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I’m not sure if I’ve made the same mistake as @bluemarble. At first glance I thought this was Caronia but now think it’s QE2. 

As to the port? Still no idea.

I think it's definitely time for another hint @carlmm.

I had been heading the opposite direction from @Colin_Cameron regarding which ship that is. I had assumed it was QE2 at first, but when I look more closely, I don't see any black on the front of the funnel which got me thinking that might be Caronia. But I've gone back and forth a couple times about that. The front of the funnel does appear to be a slightly darker color when I enlarge the photo and also I'm not sure about all the various liveries QE2 has had over the years.

I also have no idea as to the port.

15 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I’m not sure if I’ve made the same mistake as @bluemarble. At first glance I thought this was Caronia but now think it’s QE2. 

As to the port? Still no idea.

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think it's definitely time for another hint @carlmm.

I had been heading the opposite direction from @Colin_Cameron regarding which ship that is. I had assumed it was QE2 at first, but when I look more closely, I don't see any black on the front of the funnel which got me thinking that might be Caronia. But I've gone back and forth a couple times about that. The front of the funnel does appear to be a slightly darker color when I enlarge the photo and also I'm not sure about all the various liveries QE2 has had over the years.

I also have no idea as to the port.

Alright, the two ships are IMHO indeed quite similiar from a distance. When I boarded the ship in Fort Lauderdale the taxi driver asked "Oh, you mean the small QE2?" 

It is the Caronia.

Portwise one may get two for the price of one. The following picture is a different port on the same cruise.

These are two "ports", we have to my knowledge not had on this thread, in two different countries, in two different oceans.

DSC06264.JPG

Edited by carlmm

On 10/9/2020 at 3:44 AM, bluemarble said:

Here is a QE bridge webcam image showing sunset at another port we haven't seen here yet. Since there isn't much to go on in this image, here is a hint. This is another "last" for Cunard. This image is from several years ago and shows the last time QE called at this port. Her next scheduled call less than a month later was canceled during the voyage. A call to this same port by QV less than two weeks after that was also canceled. No Cunard ships have been back to this port since.

image.png.b09d40875cbb2b57477d8dcccdcbcb85.png

Time for another hint on this one. You may recall we previously discussed that this thread has featured ports with names starting with every letter of the alphabet except "X". While this port's name does not start with an "X", it is only the fourth port featured in this thread that includes an "x" within its name, after Halifax, Leixões (for Oporto) and Cuxhaven.

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Time for another hint on this one. You may recall we previously discussed that this thread has featured ports with names starting with every letter of the alphabet except "X". While this port's name does not start with an "X", it is only the fourth port featured in this thread that includes an "x" within its name, after Halifax, Leixões (for Oporto) and Cuxhaven.

Alexandria Egypt?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sfred said:

Alexandria Egypt?

That's correct. That webcam image shows QE at Alexandria on October 29, 2012. We were on QE and were scheduled to call at Alexandria on November 24, 2012. Only a few hours before our scheduled arrival that call was canceled because of political unrest in Egypt and we turned around. The subsequent call at Alexandria by QV scheduled for December 3, 2012 was also canceled (I'm not sure how much advance notice they had on that voyage). To my knowledge, no Cunard ship has called there since.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That's correct. That webcam image shows QE at Alexandria on October 29, 2012. We were on QE and were scheduled to call at Alexandria on November 24, 2012. Only a few hours before our scheduled arrival that call was canceled because of political unrest in Egypt and we turned around. The subsequent call at Alexandria by QV scheduled for December 3, 2012 was also canceled (I'm not sure how much advance notice they had on that voyage). To my knowledge, no Cunard ship has called there since.

I would love to go there one day.  Such a rich history in the Mediterranean. 

To circle in on my guess, I brought up a wikipedia list of world ports.  In the Atlantic region, in addition to Alexandria other candidates were Tuxpan Mexico, Felixstowe, and Biloxi MS.  Of these, Alexandria seemed the only logical possibility for Cunard port call cancellations.  A google search brought up several press articles about cruise cancellations in 2012.  I then brought up google maps to verify that Alexandria had a cruise ship dock facing roughly west (presuming that the photo was a sunset), with a container dock off to the left.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sfred said:

I would love to go there one day.  Such a rich history in the Mediterranean. 

To circle in on my guess, I brought up a wikipedia list of world ports.  In the Atlantic region, in addition to Alexandria other candidates were Tuxpan Mexico, Felixstowe, and Biloxi MS.  Of these, Alexandria seemed the only logical possibility for Cunard port call cancellations.  A google search brought up several press articles about cruise cancellations in 2012.  I then brought up google maps to verify that Alexandria had a cruise ship dock facing roughly west (presuming that the photo was a sunset), with a container dock off to the left.

For the record, the only other "x" ports I see on itineraries for the current Cunard Queens (other than the ports in China that start with "X") are "Pius X Glacier"; "Giardini Naxos (for Taormina), Sicily" and "Exmouth, Australia". We might also stretch our definition of port to include the listings for another Egyptian port, "Safaga (for Luxor/Karnak), Egypt".

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

For the record, the only other "x" ports I see on itineraries for the current Cunard Queens (other than the ports in China that start with "X") are "Pius X Glacier"; "Giardini Naxos (for Taormina), Sicily" and "Exmouth, Australia". We might also stretch our definition of port to include the listings for another Egyptian port, "Safaga (for Luxor/Karnak), Egypt".

Here's one of these, although unfortunately not beginning with x, at least it is a second word starting (and finishing) with x.  It was a cloudy and rather gloomy day for our cruise by, with frequent rain showers, and I would've thought it very impressive had I not been spoiled by Hubbard glacier on a stunningly beautiful sunny day the previous year.

image.thumb.png.00b4ce9cff120ab06ca67397a8a53b36.png

1 hour ago, sogne said:

a sail away from which port which has not featured I think despite it being as regular call

cvb.JPG

This is part of the St Petersburg Dam on Kotlin Island near St Petersburg, Russia which provides flood control when needed.

We did have a photo of one of the St Petersburg cruise terminals earlier, but I can understand how you would have missed it since the answer for that photo was misspelled as "St Petersbugh".

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Here's one of these, although unfortunately not beginning with x, at least it is a second word starting (and finishing) with x.  It was a cloudy and rather gloomy day for our cruise by, with frequent rain showers, and I would've thought it very impressive had I not been spoiled by Hubbard glacier on a stunningly beautiful sunny day the previous year.

image.thumb.png.00b4ce9cff120ab06ca67397a8a53b36.png

Thanks for that @sfred. I see I misspelled the name in my earlier post since this would be the "Pio X Glacier" in Chile.

Or is this actually the "Pio XI Glacier"? It seems that's how it's identified in photos that I've matched to it and in Wikipedia, so I'm confused. My itineraries do say "Pio X Glacier" though.

I'll add it to our growing list of ports seen on this thread. Even though it was only a "cruise by" call, a few others on the list are also "cruise by" ports.

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks for that @sfred. I see I misspelled the name in my earlier post since this would be the "Pio X Glacier" in Chile.

Or is this actually the "Pio XI Glacier"? It seems that's how it's identified in photos that I've matched to it and in Wikipedia, so I'm confused. My itineraries do say "Pio X Glacier" though.

I'll add it to our growing list of ports seen on this thread. Even though it was only a "cruise by" call, a few others on the list are also "cruise by" ports.

It was in our itinerary and all the onboard programs as Pio X.  I understand your point, though.  Looking it up now, it is in visitchile.com, wikipedia, and several other sources as Pio XI.  It appears to be the same glacier - all the online photos calling it Pio XI look like what we saw that day as Pio X.  I can't find any site that says they are two different glaciers.  A mystery.      

After posting the Pio X (or XI) glacier picture earlier, I ran across the below photo.  I didn't post it before as it is ridiculously easy to identify the port with a mere google search.  But it will add to our list of ports, as I don't think we've had this one before.  QV is hiding behind the building, at anchor slightly offshore.

image.thumb.png.71a59f03d6dd38b90a4983b99f4dab21.png

4 hours ago, sfred said:

After posting the Pio X (or XI) glacier picture earlier, I ran across the below photo.  I didn't post it before as it is ridiculously easy to identify the port with a mere google search.  But it will add to our list of ports, as I don't think we've had this one before.  QV is hiding behind the building, at anchor slightly offshore.

image.thumb.png.71a59f03d6dd38b90a4983b99f4dab21.png

It's been 4 hours so I did as you suggested. But just in case someone wants to do it the hard way I'll just say it was taken from the Cero de la Cruz scenic overlook.

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It's been 4 hours so I did as you suggested. But just in case someone wants to do it the hard way I'll just say it was taken from the Cero de la Cruz scenic overlook.

Absolutely correct @Colin_Cameron.  Punta Arenas, Chile.  Photo taken during QV's port call on 23 February 2020.

• Like 1