Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, I see now!

First of all, thank you, @Colin_Cameron, for taking a chance on guessing Ghent. That's the same theory I had been pursuing for the past day and a half. I spent quite a while probably doing the same thing as you, looking at Ghent on google maps, searching in vain for a match to this scene. Next I tried to identify the ships in this photo, looking for ships that might be based at Ghent, again to no avail.

Picking up on your latest hint, @carlmm, I believe this is Rostock, Germany. I've been able to identify that ship toward the left of your photo as the icebreaker Stephan Jantzen which is now a museum ship in Rostock. I've found photos of Stephan Jantzen taken in Rostock showing the same style of streetlights as in your photo.

I think the issue may be because we have previously seen nearby Warnemünde where most cruise ships now dock at its cruise center. As recently as a few years ago, I know cruise ships were still docking at Rostock when there wasn't room at the Warnemünde Cruise Center. The one time we've docked at Warnemünde was on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas during July 2017. Just a month prior to our visit, she had to dock at Rostock instead because three other ships were docked at Warnemünde that same day.

To make sure I'm clear about this, where Serenade of the Seas docked (where Royal Caribbean called Rostock) was a berth along pier II at what I'm given to understand is called Hafen Rostock (Rostock Seaport). The photos I've found of the icebreaker Stephan Jantzen which match your photo were taken much closer to Rostock city proper. Understandably that closer-in location would not be very conducive to accommodating a cruise ship.

There are several references I found to Cunard ships from the past calling at Rostock. They include Sea Goddess I and Vistafjord during June 1992 as well as QE2 during July 1996, June 2004 and August 2004. For comparison, all the calls by the current Cunard fleet (QE and QV) are listed as calls to Warnemünde.

Assuming I have correctly identified the photo as Rostock, I hope I have helped clarify the situation with Warnemünde and Rostock being treated as two separate ports. Perhaps in Germany these ports are collectively known as Rostock-Warnemünde, but at least some cruise lines do make a distinction, calling the Warnemünde Cruise Center "Warnemünde" and referring to the berths at Hafen Rostock as "Rostock".

Wow! Excellent research and thinking John - I've no idea if you're right, but how could you possibly be wrong!?

We have 2 of Richard's photo's outstanding. I'll open the bidding on the 2nd photo as Mustique for no other reason that it looks Caribbean'ish and we have the 'royal connection' clue?

2 new ones from me - the first seems easy, the 2nd a little trickier? Bon chance.

IMG_7978.JPG

L1040344.JPG

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, I see now!

First of all, thank you, @Colin_Cameron, for taking a chance on guessing Ghent. That's the same theory I had been pursuing for the past day and a half. I spent quite a while probably doing the same thing as you, looking at Ghent on google maps, searching in vain for a match to this scene. Next I tried to identify the ships in this photo, looking for ships that might be based at Ghent, again to no avail.

Picking up on your latest hint, @carlmm, I believe this is Rostock, Germany. I've been able to identify that ship toward the left of your photo as the icebreaker Stephan Jantzen which is now a museum ship in Rostock. I've found photos of Stephan Jantzen taken in Rostock showing the same style of streetlights as in your photo.

I think the issue may be because we have previously seen nearby Warnemünde where most cruise ships now dock at its cruise center. As recently as a few years ago, I know cruise ships were still docking at Rostock when there wasn't room at the Warnemünde Cruise Center. The one time we've docked at Warnemünde was on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas during July 2017. Just a month prior to our visit, she had to dock at Rostock instead because three other ships were docked at Warnemünde that same day.

To make sure I'm clear about this, where Serenade of the Seas docked (where Royal Caribbean called Rostock) was a berth along pier II at what I'm given to understand is called Hafen Rostock (Rostock Seaport). The photos I've found of the icebreaker Stephan Jantzen which match your photo were taken much closer to Rostock city proper. Understandably that closer-in location would not be very conducive to accommodating a cruise ship.

There are several references I found to Cunard ships from the past calling at Rostock. They include Sea Goddess I and Vistafjord during June 1992 as well as QE2 during July 1996, June 2004 and August 2004. For comparison, all the calls by the current Cunard fleet (QE and QV) are listed as calls to Warnemünde.

Assuming I have correctly identified the photo as Rostock, I hope I have helped clarify the situation with Warnemünde and Rostock being treated as two separate ports. Perhaps in Germany these ports are collectively known as Rostock-Warnemünde, but at least some cruise lines do make a distinction, calling the Warnemünde Cruise Center "Warnemünde" and referring to the berths at Hafen Rostock as "Rostock".

Just perfect again, @bluemarble! Great work.

To make things worse, sometimes itineraries  list Warnemünde even as Berlin. (Just like all this cruise stops in e.g. Paris.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_7978.JPG

St Tropez, France?

There's a photo online in alamy.com of the Gipsy XIV boat, indicating a port of St Tropez, and google street view has a match to the Église Paroissiale Notre Dame de l'Assomption clock tower.

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

2 new ones from me - the first seems easy, the 2nd a little trickier? Bon chance.

L1040344.JPG

OK I'll make a guess. I think the Panamanian flag is a red herring. And the old ship has been replaced by a concrete jetty.

I think this is Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica.

5 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Wow! Excellent research and thinking John - I've no idea if you're right, but how could you possibly be wrong!?

We have 2 of Richard's photo's outstanding. I'll open the bidding on the 2nd photo as Mustique for no other reason that it looks Caribbean'ish and we have the 'royal connection' clue?

Good afternoon Peter. Correct and well done on my 2nd Photo.

It certainly is Mustique and my 'royal clue' was intended to link to the bar behind me which of course is Basil's - owned by Basil Charles who was a guest at  Kate and William's wedding.

572069422_BasilsBarMustique.jpg.7a3eefdb3c2d60ccd4ea1b58c4f78952.jpg

I'd better add another clue to the  first picture...

703280744_WhereintheWorld23.thumb.jpg.3ddc108123778005bef75a13cd223cc8.jpg

...as I have some more new ports I'm keen to add. 

Sfred has correctly identified St Tropez. We'll done.

Colin - I'm amazed, I thought the Puerto Caldera photo was tricky enough to outlast one of Carl's classics! Gold star!

Couple of new ones here. The first is not the actual destination on the list, but where I believe cruise ships generally dock (well, we did!); the second is rather an old photo (1995) but hopefully offers enough information to identify. 

Baltic 028.jpg

sc000bb066.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:56 AM, Solent Richard said:

1201276700_WhereintheWorld22.thumb.jpg.481dcf94fe83e456bf4d1a437f3e72f4.jpg

17 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I'd better add another clue to the  first picture...

703280744_WhereintheWorld23.thumb.jpg.3ddc108123778005bef75a13cd223cc8.jpg

...as I have some more new ports I'm keen to add. 

I'll be happy to help @Solent Ɍichard in his quest to add more port photos. I think this port is Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe.

• Like 1

Couple of new ones here. The first is not the actual destination on the list, but where I believe cruise ships generally dock (well, we did!); the second is rather an old photo (1995) but hopefully offers enough information to identify. 

Baltic 028.jpg

Good morning, it's those early birds again.

By my  reckoning the Destination is Gdansk, Poland and this photograph is of the Gdynia Dockyard.

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'll be happy to help @Solent Ɍichard in his quest to add more port photos. I think this port is Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe.

Spot on John, yes it's Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe.

I thought that second clue would help. That building ahead of the ship is the Guadeloupe Islands Memorial ACTe - a contemporary museum on the Caribbean's slave trade and indigenous people...

1635262961_PointeaPitre9MemorialACTe.jpg.2d721237b7631a50818a8dacb1e65d2b.jpg

sc000bb066.jpeg

I know I've just used my guess for today. Can I just say that I have found a perfect match for the harbour and hillside in this one, but not a single building matches!!! How likely is it that every one of them has been rebuilt in 25 years?😄

We've already had Gdynia (I don't have a problem with repeats) but Gdansk was deliberately on the unseen list as a separate port. 

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That could only be in the UK. The houses, that railway station.

This is Harwich.

YES. Harwich it is. Well done Colin.

I'd tossed up whether to show that picture first or one I took on a sailaway...

1455096044_WhereintheWorld32.thumb.jpg.ad8e1caf8360f90115dd31bb20c8e42a.jpg

Whatever, that's another port ticked off.

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning, it's those early birds again.

By my  reckoning the Destination is Gdansk, Poland and this photograph is of the Gdynia Dockyard.

Congratulations Richard - it is indeed Gdynia for Gdansk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

We've already had Gdynia (I don't have a problem with repeats) but Gdansk was deliberately on the unseen list as a separate port. 

Gdansk will remain on our list of unseen Cunard ports. I probably should have included this comment @Colin_Cameron submitted to explain including Gdansk on that list.

"We've had Gdynia but it looks like Vistafjord used both ports- on consecutive cruises"

It's also probably worth mentioning there are at least two other sets of port pairs like this which appear on the unseen port list. One of each pair is a port for a large city (used by the current fleet) while the other is the city itself which apparently has been visited as a port in its own right by a Cunard ship from the past.

Mormugao and Goa, India

Kepez and Canakkale, Turkey

I have been able to verify that pair of Turkish ports. Kepez has been a port of call for QV while Canakkale was a tender port for Vistafjord on 21 September 1988.

Perhaps @Colin_Cameron can verify the details for us of a visit to Goa by Sea Goddess II at a location other than the port of Mormugao.

Edited by bluemarble

10 hours ago, Palmeat said:

sc000bb066.jpeg

7 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I know I've just used my guess for today. Can I just say that I have found a perfect match for the harbour and hillside in this one, but not a single building matches!!! How likely is it that every one of them has been rebuilt in 25 years?😄 

Oh, wow! I see what you mean! Without your comment, I would have just passed this one by as not a match when I first checked it. Now after studying it in greater detail, I think I've managed to match a few of the buildings. This one's all yours, @Colin_Cameron. I'll take your photo that hasn't been identified yet if it's still available tomorrow.

Gdansk/Gdynia: If it was different ships, different years, different brochures, etc. then I'd just assume that it was the usual "X (tours from port Y)" situation. But in this case the 1988 Vistafjord brochure shows a call at Gdansk on 17th August and then on the following cruise, a call at Gdynia on 6th Sep. It looks like a good possibility that in this case they might actually mean it.

Canakkale: I can see several calls at Canakkale in '97, '98 & '99 for Vistafjord, Royal Viking Sun, QE2 and both Sea Goddesses. The Sea Goddesses don't mention it being an anchor port which seems logical.

Goa: I've found calls by Sea Goddess I on 25th Apr '97 and SGII on 20th Apr and 6th Nov '98, and 5th Mar '99 but there's no further information than 'Goa'. There are photos on the web of boats that look bigger than the Goddesses on the Mandovi River so it looks possible.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

Definitely one of the smaller ports on the list. 

031p.jpg

Colin, I'll spend my guess for today on Puerto Banus, Nueva Andalucia?

• Like 1

I think I recognize a couple of @Palmeat's photos (one I said I'd leave for @Colin_Cameron). I'll go ahead and identify this one from @Solent Richard today instead.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:11 AM, Solent Richard said:

1147472595_WhereintheWorld37.jpg.5b281881ee9ef9c928d7ee51b67c5d49.jpg

Those cliffs looked familiar from an episode of the television show "Expedition Unknown" titled "Corsica's *** Treasure" (the name of the party in power in Germany during WWII is being censored from the episode title). The premise of that episode is the legend that treasure plundered from North Africa by Erwin Rommel was hidden on Corsica. This location is featured in that episode when they explore a grotto at the base of those cliffs hunting for the treasure.

This is Bonifacio, Corsica.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I think I recognize a couple of @Palmeat's photos (one I said I'd leave for @Colin_Cameron). I'll go ahead and identify this one from @Solent Richard today instead.

Those cliffs looked familiar from an episode of the television show "Expedition Unknown" titled "Corsica's *** Treasure" (the name of the party in power in Germany during WWII is being censored from the episode title). The premise of that episode is the legend that treasure plundered from North Africa by Erwin Rommel was hidden on Corsica. This location is featured in that episode when they explore a grotto at the base of those cliffs hunting for the treasure.

This is Bonifacio, Corsica.

Spot on John, is certainly is  Bonifacio, Corsica and well done -  One outstanding port of call to visit.

Thanks also for your interesting story as well. I assume it was the same 'grotto' that I actually made it to. Out of interest here is my record...

2089131178_KoAstairwayRicharddecent.thumb.jpg.d27dbfd2a15fe0fe288d00e1175c07ee.jpg

That's the decent above which leads to a path with an overhang almost at sea level...

396948784_KoAstairwaycoastalpath3.thumb.jpg.06cc98f3a4da0eb898edc6e5e1445b6f.jpg

...which eventually comes to the Grotto/Cave...

271452258_KoAstairwayCave.thumb.jpg.987d240682c08e16993dad0f3b59370f.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard