Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 4/24/2021 at 6:33 PM, Solent Richard said:

One particular one for you then Carl, that's your only clue for the moment. This definitely is a Cunard Port...

1317689185_WhereintheWorld8.jpg.322517f1ee6eb6cfe1ddaa3a3c49fc39.jpg

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

While I'm onboard this afternoon maybe I should add another clue to this definite Cunard port.

Lets take a closer look...

1757841580_WhereintheWorld10.jpg.875f5f64209dd9f8412109b6496ab1af.jpg

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

I think this is Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei? 

Well done, Palmeat.

Richard,  I was far too slow.

I have one more definite Cunard port that doesn't appear on the latest updated list: though I must confess that my visit was not with Cunard.

Good luck anyway...

540775412_WhereintheWorld11.jpg.e58dc2d509fa670b75d943363259b5d5.jpg

Your extensive cruise blog proved instrumental in identifying this port, @Solent Richard. That ship in the distance looks like a Silversea ship and Silver Spirit appears to be the best match. Your blog describes your cruise from Los Angeles to Tahiti on Silver Spirit. The most obvious port on that itinerary which is definitely a Cunard port we haven't seen yet is Moorea. That island didn't give up its secrets without a fight, but I eventually found a spot in google maps along the east shore of Cook's Bay where the view is a good match to this photo.

I think this is Moorea, French Polynesia.

• Like 1

Now that I believe we're down to just one photo left to identify at the moment (@carlmm's latest photo from Saturday), this might be a good time to post my list of 'Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread.'

This was quite a collaborative effort with @Colin_Cameron. Over 100 unseen ports from itineraries for the current fleet, over 200 ports contributed by Colin, and over 100 additional ports I gleaned from various online resources. After removing duplicates, the result is a list with 389 names on it.

We've seen a few "sail-by" ports so far, so I took the liberty of adding a couple of those to the list. Since we've done the Panama and Suez Canals, I've added Corinth Canal which Sea Goddess II transited. I also added Tristan da Cunha which was a special sail-by call for QM2.

There are some really obscure ports on this list, especially those that only smaller ships from the past could visit, but that's part of the fun, I suppose. There are also some large cities that I wasn't aware Cunard ships had visited before undertaking this project. Plenty of opportunity to find photos taken during previous cruises (on any line).

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-04-26.txt

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a photo I can contribute now. This was taken from the shore of a port I wasn't aware was a Cunard port until working on compiling the list of unseen Cunard ports I posted above. This port was found on itineraries for both of the Sea Goddesses, Cunard Countess and Vistafjord.

image.thumb.png.449b60198782efb950fce8cd29424d8b.png

Well done John & Colin - great work on the new list. There are certainly some rarities there. John's photo looks like the Caribbean, but no idea where; I'm stumped by Carl's outstanding photo so personally need a clue. Otherwise, here are a couple of contributions from the new 'Cunard ports not yet seen' list. The first is taken on a misty morning from our dock - rather vague semi-rural place, down river from the city in question (I don't believe it's possible to dock in the city itself). More clues available if needed;  second is simpler. IMG_5323.thumb.JPG.30b6642006853dcc7e5ac53b1c25b87a.JPGPeter

Fjords and Iceland 057.jpg

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Your extensive cruise blog proved instrumental in identifying this port, @Solent Richard. That ship in the distance looks like a Silversea ship and Silver Spirit appears to be the best match. Your blog describes your cruise from Los Angeles to Tahiti on Silver Spirit. The most obvious port on that itinerary which is definitely a Cunard port we haven't seen yet is Moorea. That island didn't give up its secrets without a fight, but I eventually found a spot in google maps along the east shore of Cook's Bay where the view is a good match to this photo.

I think this is Moorea, French Polynesia.

Some excellent detective work there John and as usual Correct - it was indeed Moorea, French Polynesia.  Well done Sir. 

And the view from the island's  'Belvedere Lookout' where one can just make out the cruise ship in Cook's Bay...

706612835_CookandOpunohuBaysfromBelvedereLookout.thumb.jpg.bf10e2548b022631011d3773607cb801.jpg

I've always maintained that Departing the anchorage at Moorea is the second best sailaway experience only surpassed by  leaving New York on Queen Mary 2...

1084396537_SailAwayfromMoorea2.thumb.jpg.9c1526d06dbcebd5d6488b0344c0ca85.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Now that I believe we're down to just one photo left to identify at the moment (@carlmm's latest photo from Saturday), this might be a good time to post my list of 'Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread.'

This was quite a collaborative effort with @Colin_Cameron. Over 100 unseen ports from itineraries for the current fleet, over 200 ports contributed by Colin, and over 100 additional ports I gleaned from various online resources. After removing duplicates, the result is a list with 389 names on it.

We've seen a few "sail-by" ports so far, so I took the liberty of adding a couple of those to the list. Since we've done the Panama and Suez Canals, I've added Corinth Canal which Sea Goddess II transited. I also added Tristan da Cunha which was a special sail-by call for QM2.

There are some really obscure ports on this list, especially those that only smaller ships from the past could visit, but that's part of the fun, I suppose. There are also some large cities that I wasn't aware Cunard ships had visited before undertaking this project. Plenty of opportunity to find photos taken during previous cruises (on any line).

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-04-26.txt 8.51 kB · 3 downloads

Wow, that is some list and and I look forward to dipping in with quite a few (One or two even stretching back to my Royal Navy days - aka the Grey Funnel Line) .

My only problem now is containing myself - like a dog with a bone. 😁😁

I'm surprised there wasn't more duplication between @bluemarbleand myself.

I see Port Chalmers on the list (my error?). We've already seem that at post #2290 and identified by @Yaldi.

Was Peterhead Scotland a single scheduled visit by QE2? If so, it didn't happen. Due to the weather she couldn't make it through the breakwater. Of course there may have been other calls that I don't remember, or by other ships.

Just to get it out of the way, this is my last photo before I make a start on the list. I know you don't need any clues but this port is due to make a reappearance this year, as a sail-by.

033.jpg

5 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I'm surprised there wasn't more duplication between @bluemarbleand myself.

I see Port Chalmers on the list (my error?). We've already seem that at post #2290 and identified by @Yaldi.

Was Peterhead Scotland a single scheduled visit by QE2? If so, it didn't happen. Due to the weather she couldn't make it through the breakwater. Of course there may have been other calls that I don't remember, or by other ships.

Just to get it out of the way, this is my last photo before I make a start on the list. I know you don't need any clues but this port is due to make a reappearance this year, as a sail-by.

033.jpg

I think this is Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, Scotland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

...; I'm stumped by Carl's outstanding photo so personally need a clue. 

Alright.

The first picture showed the view over the bow, this second picture shows the view over the stern.

Quest N 12 b.jpg

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-04-26.txt 8.51 kB · 7 downloads

Thank you @bluemarbleand @Colin_Cameron for your effort!

There are a number of ports on the list I did not know that they were Cunard ports or had at least no proof for. Thus more options for future postings!

My only problem now is containing myself - like a dog with a bone. 😁😁

😁 just remember that carefully chewing one bite after the other is much healthier, avoids stomach pain and - the supply and therefore the enjoyment will last much longer  🐕🐕🍗

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Port Chalmers is my error. I had recorded it simply as Dunedin on the list of ports already seen on this thread and when I saw Port Chalmers listed on some QE2 itineraries, I didn't recognize it as a port we've already seen. I'll update the list of ports already seen to read "Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand".

Peterhead, Scotland was indeed a single scheduled call I found listed on a QE2 itinerary. Since that didn't happen, I'll remove it from the list.

I did make one or two corrections to what you and I found. For example, you submitted a call to 
Palua Naira and I found a call listed as Palau Naira. I think those are supposed to be Pulau Naira ("pulau" being the Indonesian word for "island"), so that's how I've listed it.

On a related point, you submitted Oeye, Norway with the note "possibly Oye with a slash through the O". I decided to list it as "Oye, Norway" (to keep everything standard English characters) because I found more online hits for "Oye" as opposed to "Oeye". But I think the true spelling of that port is indeed "Øye".

9 hours ago, Palmeat said:

... second is simpler.

Fjords and Iceland 057.jpg

This is definitely the simpler of your two latest photos. I have a feeling that first one is going to be a bit of a struggle.

I think this one is Vik, Norway. It made the list of unseen Cunard ports because I found a reference to QE2 calling here during July 1984.

On 4/27/2021 at 6:53 AM, Palmeat said:

Well done John & Colin - great work on the new list. There are certainly some rarities there. John's photo looks like the Caribbean, but no idea where; I'm stumped by Carl's outstanding photo so personally need a clue. Otherwise, here are a couple of contributions from the new 'Cunard ports not yet seen' list. The first is taken on a misty morning from our dock - rather vague semi-rural place, down river from the city in question (I don't believe it's possible to dock in the city itself). More clues available if needed;  second is simpler. IMG_5323.thumb.JPG.30b6642006853dcc7e5ac53b1c25b87a.JPGPeter

I'm going to have a stab at this and I think it just maybe Thilawa Port, which is located some 15 miles south of Yangon.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:24 AM, carlmm said:

Alright.

The first picture showed the view over the bow, this second picture shows the view over the stern.

Quest N 12 b.jpg

Another day - another clue:

We were there as carefree cruise passengers, but in earlier days millions of people past through this port never to return home.

Edited by carlmm

23 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Hmnnn. Okay, I have one to offer before I head off into the European Championship this evening.

An interesting port side landmark and definitely a port on the new list which I hope isn't going to be a duplication....

1774601272_WhereintheWorld13.thumb.jpg.3b54123a76066a71be2b49a9e9540149.jpg

On 4/27/2021 at 12:53 AM, Palmeat said:

...The first is taken on a misty morning from our dock - rather vague semi-rural place, down river from the city in question (I don't believe it's possible to dock in the city itself). ...IMG_5323.thumb.JPG.30b6642006853dcc7e5ac53b1c25b87a.JPG

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm going to have a stab at this and I think it just maybe Thilawa Port, which is located some 15 miles south of Yangon.

Ah, all very interesting @Solent Ɍichard! I think I now understand your concern about a possible duplication with your photo above. After doing numerous searches for "port sign" photos in various tropical and sub-tropical ports, I've found a couple photos taken at Yangon showing just the logo portion of the sign in your photo. They are close enough matches that I'm reasonably confident your photo was taken in Yangon, Myanmar.

After checking your blog, I see you took an Irrawaddy river cruise to Yangon, so your photo might be showing a location further upstream from Thilawa Port, closer to central Yangon itself where smaller river boats would be able to dock. I haven't been able to determine the precise spot using google maps, but I wonder if that just might be the tower of the Myanmar Port Authority Building (shown in your blog) peeking up above the trees at the far right of your photo.

By the way, I see there's a duplication I hadn't detected while compiling the list of unseen ports. That list includes both Rangoon and Yangon. Of course those are both the same city, so I'll remove both of those entries from the list once the identification of these photos has been confirmed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Correct - Yangon or Rangoon. Well done Richard. Thought that one might last a little longer. The attached photo offers a different view,  but the welcome poster is a bit of a giveaway (and I don't have the techno-skills to delete the wording on the photo!).

Still no closer to identifying Carl's photo, but the latest clue suggest an immigration port in Australia. Freemantle, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney were the most prolific destinations. It may have been taken a few years ago but doesn't resemble Sydney or Melbourne. I'm going to plump for Freemantle and expect to proven incorrect😀

IMG_5322.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Still no closer to identifying Carl's photo, but the latest clue suggest an immigration port ...

I’m no closer either. In fact I might be getting further away. I had read the clue as suggesting an emigration port, rather than an immigration one. I may have to start all over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I’m no closer either. In fact I might be getting further away. I had read the clue as suggesting an emigration port, rather than an immigration one. I may have to start all over again.

I had been looking fruitlessly for that last several hours at emigration ports in Ireland, but now I'm getting a good match to an important emigration port in @carlmm's home country.

Time for a hint on this one I posted a couple days ago.

image.png.a7c858cbc9af9c81259ecbf0617e14

Here is another photo taken at this same port. I've blurred out the name on the side of the building so as not to give it away immediately. I think there are enough other clues to allow this one to be solved without much difficulty.

image.thumb.png.47554ae4c7b5b97d7dd54b8ad7db7709.png