Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

39 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm going to try this long shot showing an early morning arrival to an alternative port facilitating access to a number of popular tourist attractions...

DSC_0883.thumb.JPG.31d8a54d1e0ce5e31c325212d55f9483.JPG

Seeing the Blu Navy ferry in this photo told me to start looking at ferry routes for that line. This is Piombino, Italy on their Piombino - Portoferraio route. The ship in the photo is their Ichnusa passenger ferry. I'll start researching this to see if I can find a reference to this ever being a Cunard port. Were you on a Cunard ship when you took this photo?

Edit to add: I see from your blog that this photo may have been taken from Saga's Spirit of Discovery.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Oh dear. I really should have got that.

My next one won't take long to identify🤣🤣🤣

025.JPG

Here’s an alternative view. I wasn’t sure of the rules whether I had to show the port or whether a photo of the town was acceptable.

8903C418-D680-441E-AC95-2F2E45A7EC69.jpeg

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@sfred, I had also been going down the road looking for Cargill facilities and was in the process of confirming my find when I saw your reply. It did take quite a bit of searching, especially since this particular facility is apparently no longer owned by Cargill. A search for images of Cargill facilities within Europe eventually turned up a close match to this photo. It's from an article about how Bunge Limited had acquired this facility from Cargill in 2017.

I think that photo from @Yaldi is showing the port of Brest, France.

14 hours ago, sfred said:

Looks right, @bluemarble.  While the Cargill logo on the tanks is absent in the current 2020 google street view, it is still there in the older 2014 view. 

Excellent work! Confirmed as Brest. Here’s another shot of the silos. 🙂

289FE967-C50F-44E4-A170-BD3C17218285.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

... I wasn’t sure of the rules whether I had to show the port or whether a photo of the town was acceptable. ...

We're not too picky here in order to keep this thread going and to add more Cunard ports to our list. The original rules were to show a photo of a Cunard ship in port. Now as the game has evolved, a photo of the town at a Cunard port is perfectly acceptable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Seeing the Blu Navy ferry in this photo told me to start looking at ferry routes for that line. This is Piombino, Italy on their Piombino - Portoferraio route. The ship in the photo is their Ichnusa passenger ferry. I'll start researching this to see if I can find a reference to this ever being a Cunard port. Were you on a Cunard ship when you took this photo?

Edit to add: I see from your blog that this photo may have been taken from Saga's Spirit of Discovery.

As always you're proving a super sleuth BlueMarble. It certainly was Piombino and you even got the ship correct.

We didn't see too much of the actual port as we'd booked a full long day excursion to Lucca, as opposed going from Livorno. Still, I managed a snap on the evening journey back to the ship...

DSC_1308.thumb.JPG.a933c9a8c943fe956fd58cf21d89a067.JPG

1 hour ago, Yaldi said:

Here’s an alternative view. I wasn’t sure of the rules whether I had to show the port or whether a photo of the town was acceptable.

I didn't have a pic of the harbour area, but I thought if it's got water and boats then it's close enough.😄

The weird thing is I nearly posted mine a few minutes after you without realizing we both had the same port. I decided to leave it until some of the unsolved ones had been cracked.

I think @carlmm still has this one outstanding.

Quest N 11 (2).JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Santander then. Never cruised into it but ferried some years back.

Well spotted @Solent Richard.  The building that I presumed was a ferry terminal is actually the Palacete del Embarcadero, a museum.  That perhaps explains the failure of my searches for "Panoramic boat tours approaching ferry terminal."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I think @carlmm still has this one outstanding.

Quest N 11 (2).JPG

I'm still stumped, despite @carlmm's additional photo contribution.  Most of my web searches have been on the ship which appears to have the figures 1285, perhaps preceded by the letter L, on the side.  The remainder of the letters, below the bridge and at the stern, are too blurred to make out on my screen.  I've also tried to find a match for the metal pier railings shown in both photos, and the yellow cranes in the first photo, but again no luck.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:35 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

Some people might disagree but I'm going to claim this as a new port.

026.jpg

TIme for a hint. (Although I reckon @bluemarblehas worked it out.)

The reason some people might disagree is that the port in question is behind the camera, to the right. But a port we have already seen is equally close but to the left on the coast that can be seen. The port in question is not just in a different county, it’s in a different Kingdom!

There is another Cunard port a few more miles to the left but despite having sailed past it thirteen times I’ve never docked there. I have known Cunard to have a ship in all three ports on the same day, so we’re talking about a major city here.

41 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

TIme for a hint. (Although I reckon @bluemarblehas worked it out.)

The reason some people might disagree is that the port in question is behind the camera, to the right. But a port we have already seen is equally close but to the left on the coast that can be seen. The port in question is not just in a different county, it’s in a different Kingdom!

There is another Cunard port a few more miles to the left but despite having sailed past it thirteen times I’ve never docked there. I have known Cunard to have a ship in all three ports on the same day, so we’re talking about a major city here.

You learn something new every day!

Are we looking for Rosyth?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, carlmm said:

You learn something new every day!

Are we looking for Rosyth?

You’re not looking for it. You’ve found it.👍

South Queensferry, which we’ve seen already, on the south side of the River Forth is in the county of Midlothian. Rosyth, on the north side, is in the Kingdom of Fife.

The photo is not the Forth Road Bridge, but the newer Queensferry Crossing.

I’ll refrain from mentioning the the third port as it may crop up later😁

Edited by Colin_Cameron
I said “the” third port but maybe that should be “a” third port

Just now, Colin_Cameron said:

I’ll refrain from mentioning the [a] third port as it may crop up later😁

I hope I'm not spoiling your fun, but that sounds like a cue for this photo of mine. As with your recent photo of Dover, I didn't realize this was a Cunard port until a certain someone posted it on my 'Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread' form. I've been waiting for your latest photo to be identified before posting this one.

This isn't showing a Cunard ship, but nonetheless I expect it will be recognized without any difficulty whatsoever. At least I remembered to blur the banner so as not to make it totally obvious.

1658219804_WhereintheWorld(70).thumb.jpg.26ea59c8fb05e040ed4baee293cebb07.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I hope I'm not spoiling your fun, but that sounds like a cue for this photo of mine. As with your recent photo of Dover, I didn't realize this was a Cunard port until a certain someone posted it on my 'Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread' form. I've been waiting for your latest photo to be identified before posting this one.

This isn't showing a Cunard ship, but nonetheless I expect it will be recognized without any difficulty whatsoever. At least I remembered to blur the banner so as not to make it totally obvious.

1658219804_WhereintheWorld(70).thumb.jpg.26ea59c8fb05e040ed4baee293cebb07.jpg

Someone's birthday today?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Royal yacht Britannia?  Leith?

Exactly right. Royal Yacht Britannia, aka Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia, at Leith (for Edinburgh), Scotland.

I suppose it was an appropriate day to post that photo on Her Majesty's 95th birthday (as @carlmm hinted at in his reply).

And as @Colin_Cameron was alluding to, another Britannia is famous in Cunard history as the first Cunard transatlantic liner (1840).

I still haven't been able to identify carlmm's port (which I think is the only one outstanding?) - but here are a couple more ports which I didn't visit aboard Cunard ships but feel confident they will have been  graced by the line at some juncture.

IMG_4676.JPG

Aurora Med Collection 123.jpg