Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

image.thumb.png.47554ae4c7b5b97d7dd54b8ad7db7709.png

Hi everyone.  Apologies that I've been mostly offline for the past several days -- a work project has came up.

This is Cruz Bay, St John US Virgin Islands.  You can make out the two US National Park Service logos on the sides of the building (below "Visitor Center" and also above the stairs at the left), and also the wording of "National Park Service" on the motorboats.  A google search for US Park Service visitor center then brought up an image match for Cruz Bay.

The ship must have been HAL, although I can't make our the specific vessel from the tenders.

Looks like it was a very fine weather day. 

• Like 2

Well done, @sfred. You picked up on the hints in the photo to correctly identify that port as Cruz Bay, St John, USVI.

You are also correct about the ship being a HAL ship, but I think it would be difficult to narrow it down any further from that photo. It's Prinsendam. As it happens we weren't on that ship though. Those photos were actually taken during a Cunard cruise. We were on QM2 docked at Crown Bay, St Thomas. We visited St John on a Cunard shore excursion from St Thomas.

Good job for also noting the port name double with Saint John, New Brunswick and the quadruple with the two St John's ports. If we add San Juan, Puerto Rico, that now makes a total of five ports we've seen on this thread named for Saint John.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:34 AM, carlmm said:

One more. (Of course, the ship is not Cunard.)

Quest N 12 (2).JPG

On 4/27/2021 at 3:24 AM, carlmm said:

Alright.

The first picture showed the view over the bow, this second picture shows the view over the stern.

Quest N 12 b.jpg

13 hours ago, carlmm said:

Another day - another clue:

We were there as carefree cruise passengers, but in earlier days millions of people past through this port never to return home.

After hinting yesterday about these photos from @carlmm, I'll go ahead and identify this port now. His final clue eventually led me to look at Bremerhaven, Germany.

As I am wont to do from time to time, I will now thoroughly over-analyze those photos!

The first photo is looking south from the cruise terminal across the Weser River. The tall smokestack in the distance is at the Kronos Titan plant in Nordenham.

The second photo shows the Columbus Cruise Center (Kreuzfahrt-Terminal Columbuskaje) Bremerhaven.

I'll even take a stab at identifying the ship as the Maxim Gorkiy formerly of Phoenix Reisen and scrapped in 2009.

On a personal note, my very first experience sailing on an ocean liner was on Norddeutscher Lloyd's Bremen, crossing from New York to Bremerhaven way back in 1970. As a result, this port holds a special place in my heart. Thanks for indulging me on a trip down memory lane with these photos of the port of Bremerhaven.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Time for a hint on this one I posted a couple days ago.

image.png.a7c858cbc9af9c81259ecbf0617e14

Here is another photo taken at this same port. I've blurred out the name on the side of the building so as not to give it away immediately. I think there are enough other clues to allow this one to be solved without much difficulty.

image.thumb.png.47554ae4c7b5b97d7dd54b8ad7db7709.png

I was proud that I was able to identify this as Cruz Bay, St John, US Virgin Islands..............until I saw that sfred had beaten me to it!

Edited by Palmeat
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, all very interesting @Solent Ɍichard! I think I now understand your concern about a possible duplication with your photo above. After doing numerous searches for "port sign" photos in various tropical and sub-tropical ports, I've found a couple photos taken at Yangon showing just the logo portion of the sign in your photo. They are close enough matches that I'm reasonably confident your photo was taken in Yangon, Myanmar.

After checking your blog, I see you took an Irrawaddy river cruise to Yangon, so your photo might be showing a location further upstream from Thilawa Port, closer to central Yangon itself where smaller river boats would be able to dock. I haven't been able to determine the precise spot using google maps, but I wonder if that just might be the tower of the Myanmar Port Authority Building (shown in your blog) peeking up above the trees at the far right of your photo.

By the way, I see there's a duplication I hadn't detected while compiling the list of unseen ports. That list includes both Rangoon and Yangon. Of course those are both the same city, so I'll remove both of those entries from the list once the identification of these photos has been confirmed.

Bingo. Well done for your detective work John (and of course for the boost to my blog's visitor count).

Yes, that 'Sign' was on the Yangon River waterfront - They call it 'The Strand Road'.

And yes, that is the tower of the Myanmar Port Authority Building peeping above the trees...

1971294462_MyanmarPortAuthorityBuilding.thumb.jpg.65adf58089aecfb20e9270d4c33d50a3.jpg

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Here are a couple more from the 'new' list.

IMG_1736.JPG

L1000875.JPG

I'm feeling lucky. My money goes on this  being  the Amazon River. I definitely recognise those boats. I just need to decide Parentins or ...

Edited by Solent Richard

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

After hinting yesterday about these photos from @carlmm, I'll go ahead and identify this port now. His final clue eventually led me to look at Bremerhaven, Germany.

As I am wont to do from time to time, I will now thoroughly over-analyze those photos!

The first photo is looking south from the cruise terminal across the Weser River. The tall smokestack in the distance is at the Kronos Titan plant in Nordenham.

The second photo shows the Columbus Cruise Center (Kreuzfahrt-Terminal Columbuskaje) Bremerhaven.

I'll even take a stab at identifying the ship as the Maxim Gorkiy formerly of Phoenix Reisen and scrapped in 2009.

On a personal note, my very first experience sailing on an ocean liner was on Norddeutscher Lloyd's Bremen, crossing from New York to Bremerhaven way back in 1970. As a result, this port holds a special place in my heart. Thanks for indulging me on a trip down memory lane with these photos of the port of Bremerhaven.

Perfect!

Of ocurse @Palmeatand @Colin_Cameron you were on the right track, too, thinking about migration routes. 

More than 12 million emigrants past through Bremerhaven.

Actually, the, correctly identified ( @bluemarble!) Maxim Gorki had a historic background similiar to the Queen Elizabeth 2:

She was build in 1969 as "TS Hamburg" to take over the transatlantic service for Deutsche Atlantik Linie.

Yet, due to the dwindling demand, this did not happen and she was used for cruising from the very beginning.

And a last titbit: She was the location of the 1974 movie Juggernaut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Just correcting my spelling of Parintins.

For the second one I agree.

I got misled because when we were there the jetty was about 100 meters upstream, to the right.

For the first one I'm tempted by Belem, but can't find an exact match although there are lots of close ones.

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Correct Richard - Parentins it is. The other port isn't Belem, Colin - sorry - but if it helps, was on a different voyage several thousand miles away.

Thank you kind Sir.

It's a long time since I sailed along the Amazon, but I do have one particular memory...

2025528996_Parentins1.jpg.926904a81d7a4e5b8509580f14a8ea3f.jpg

...and on top of that little caravan at the bottom of the slope...

1144863995_WelcomeDancers.jpg.fc17d11ba70259ae26215c719b851c17.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

20 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Okay, so it's been a long afternoon on the Frascati Superiore so my final offering for today, is...

810846020_WhereintheWorld14.jpg.224421879a47e724991d1ec0fdde7719.jpg

Richard - I don't share blue marble's detective skills and unfortunately a Google search of 'tall white lighthouse' has thrown up rather too many options! So I for one am currently in the dark.

Together with your contribution I think I still have one unidentified port, but whilst I am posting - and without wishing to depart from Carl's wise 'less is more' objective - here's another one off the new list. Peter

L1040357.JPG

57 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

... here's another one off the new list.

Hmmm.

I immediately thought 'I know where that is'. Then checked the list. Only to find it wasn't on it! So here's where I wrongly thought @Palmeat's post was.

I've double checked and it it is (or WAS) a Cunard port, and it has been mentioned already but not seen.

CD107.JPG

On 4/29/2021 at 12:25 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_1736.JPG

I think I've figured out this one.

My strategy was to first try to identify that ship with the yellow, white, red and black funnel. It took some research but I eventually figured out those are the colors of the Indonesian national shipping line Pelni. Next I identified that particular Pelni ship as the KM Tilongkabila. There are only a few stops on the current route for that ship which are also on our list of unseen Cunard ports. The stop I found that matches this photo is Benoa, Bali.

The ship in the foreground that you were on is one of the Seabourn ships. That pool/hot tub appears to be a common feature on Seabourn ships, but from what I'm finding, the rest of the details best match Seabourn Spirit from the ships listed in your signature.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, wow! Yes indeed, @Colin_Cameron, the port for your last photo has been mentioned here (by someone I know quite well no less 😉), but it didn't make my list of unseen ports. That has me wondering how many other unseen Cunard ports we can find that way. Perhaps another project I should undertake.

Well done Bluemarble for correctly identifying Benoa, Bali. Just how long do you spend researching these ports? Very impressive. 

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Well done Bluemarble for correctly identifying Benoa, Bali. Just how long do you spend researching these ports? Very impressive. 

How much time I spend working on each port photo does vary quite a bit. Let's just say the amount of time I've spent overall on this thread is "a lot". I'd say it has become a hobby for me which has proven therapeutic during the suspension of cruising.

8 hours ago, Palmeat said:

L1040357.JPG

I'll guess San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua?   Google has several photos of the Cristo de La Misericordia which seem to match. 

If correct, that will make for our 6th Cunard St John/St John's/San Juan port. 

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1