Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

With only one destination left (Peter's Queen Victoria amongst the containers) I will add two more to hopefully keep the ball rolling. Any offers on this pair...

225874058_WhereintheWorld29.jpg.bddedda7062e573eb429cb1803ea3fac.jpg

563737796_WhereintheWorld26.jpg.0892947c3173d1b102b49a58aa6ef403.jpg

By way of a small clue, the second photograph is of considerable significance. 😁

23 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Spot on John, is certainly is  Bonifacio, Corsica and well done -  One outstanding port of call to visit.

Thanks also for your interesting story as well. I assume it was the same 'grotto' that I actually made it to. Out of interest here is my record...

2089131178_KoAstairwayRicharddecent.thumb.jpg.d27dbfd2a15fe0fe288d00e1175c07ee.jpg

That's the decent above which leads to a path with an overhang almost at sea level...

396948784_KoAstairwaycoastalpath3.thumb.jpg.06cc98f3a4da0eb898edc6e5e1445b6f.jpg

...which eventually comes to the Grotto/Cave...

271452258_KoAstairwayCave.thumb.jpg.987d240682c08e16993dad0f3b59370f.jpg

Yes indeed, that's the grotto at Bonifacio they explored on "Expedition Unknown." The interior of the grotto includes an underground lake sealed off from this direction. Instead they ended up descending a 200-foot deep well from above with scuba equipment to explore that lake. Of course they didn't find Rommel's treasure, but it did make for some interesting television.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Aah! Now I see it. I thought we were looking down at ice or something floating on the water.

Have to confess I did this morning. It was only when I came back onboard this afternoon that it clicked- Well I hope it has. 😁

Well done Colin - it is indeed Gythion. Initially you were unable to reconcile the buildings - did that turn out to be a  different place?

Congratulations Richard - Corinth Canal indeed! Well spotted - I thought the unusual perspective might present a puzzle. More orthodox shot of the sail-through follows.

L1020278.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Congratulations Richard - Corinth Canal indeed! Well spotted - I thought the unusual perspective might present a puzzle. More orthodox shot of the sail-through follows.

L1020278.JPG

Indelibly stamped in my mind. That one and only occasion when I'd waited to book an excursion while onboard and of course they were fully booked to sail the canal.

I had to settle for the rather less exciting visit to 'Ancient Corinth' archeological site and a stop over the Canal...

1597092479_CorinthCanal3.thumb.jpg.6fe2933726ffb0f0d5f06c051e9836c3.jpg  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

it is indeed Gythion. Initially you were unable to reconcile the buildings - did that turn out to be a  different place?

No. I found Gythion almost straight away but using Google Streetview I couldn’t get the buildings to match. The hillside was such a good match that it had to right. It wasn’t until @bluemarble commented that I went and found some older photos which matched many of the buildings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Well done Colin - it is indeed Gythion. Initially you were unable to reconcile the buildings - did that turn out to be a  different place?

L1020278.JPG

Once again, I'll go with Seabourn Spirit as the ship in your Corinth Canal photos. I was already heading that way finding details in the previous photo consistent with Spirit and also finding itineraries for Spirit that transited the Corinth Canal. Now this photo seals the detail.

On a personal note, I transited the Corinth Canal way back in 1971 on a ship called the TSS Apollonia of the Hellenic Mediterranean Line. Thanks for that walk down memory lane.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I had to settle for the rather less exciting visit to 'Ancient Corinth' archeological site and a stop over the Canal...  

Was this on the 2008 cruise? As you no doubt saw on the video, we also did the Ancient Corinth tour. Could we have been on the same coach?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfred said:

That is the Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia railroad station.  A beautiful historical building dating from 1910. 

Spot on sfred,  Kuala Lumpur it is. Well done Sir, we were there with Queen Victoria in 2019.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sfred said:

Out of curiosity, what Cunard ship made it that far upriver from Port Klang to KL?

Well it is on the latest 'not yet nominated' list. I can only hazard a guess that since Kuala Lumpur means "muddy confluence" in Malay; Kuala is the point where two rivers join together and over the years they've silted up. Here is that point of joining...

1500904088_KlangRiverconfluence.jpg.4d29ec2d9e4709fd74dd7a61ab81acc0.jpg

13 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Was this on the 2008 cruise? As you no doubt saw on the video, we also did the Ancient Corinth tour. Could we have been on the same coach?

Unfortunately not Colin. Those photographs were taken in 2012.

By the way, I was thrilled to sanction your request yesterday. 😉

3 hours ago, sfred said:

Out of curiosity, what Cunard ship made it that far upriver from Port Klang to KL?

It was listed on a Sea Goddess I itinerary which is why I initially thought it might be true. Nowadays you can't get any farther than the mouth of the river in anything larger than a rowing boat because of the bridges. Not sure about 30 years ago. But even if they docked somewhere on the river, I doubt they made it all the way to KL.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
This might be another one we have to remove from the list?
  • Like 1

Just as an aside, we know that Sea Goddess II transited the Corinth Canal (I can't find any pictures on the web). But they were't the only Cunard ships able to fit. I believe the largest ship to sail the canal was the ex-Cunard Crown Dynasty - Fred Olsen's Braemar.

Talk about a tight squeeze.

14.10.2019-breamer-korinthe-kanaal.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It was listed on a Sea Goddess I itinerary which is why I initially thought it might be true. Nowadays you can't get any farther than the mouth of the river in anything larger than a rowing boat because of the bridges. Not sure about 30 years ago. But even if they docked somewhere on the river, I doubt they made it all the way to KL.

OK, I think what I'll do is list this port as "Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia" on our master list as I have for a few of the other ports (and how it often appears on the Cunard itineraries) where one port serves a larger city and we can't prove a Cunard ship made it to the larger city as a separate port. That way we can give a nod to having seen a photo of Kuala Lumpur without adding to our port count.

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

One more from my side

Quest E 14 .JPG

No idea really, but looks like the Caribbean. Not many ports left on the list, so (as usual) in the expectation of being wrong, I'll open the batting - Bequia, St Vincent & The Grenadines?🤞

54 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

No idea really, but looks like the Caribbean. Not many ports left on the list, so (as usual) in the expectation of being wrong, I'll open the batting - Bequia, St Vincent & The Grenadines?🤞

Your expectation is correct, I'am afraid 🌞

On 5/6/2021 at 5:01 PM, Solent Richard said:

563737796_WhereintheWorld26.jpg.0892947c3173d1b102b49a58aa6ef403.jpg

By way of a small clue, the second photograph is of considerable significance. 😁

The photograph is of significance? Not the place or the port?

Would have thought Spain but where?