Cancelled cruise - how long until you got your refund.

occruisefamily

Hi all, my October 2020 cruise was recently cancelled :(  After much consideration I decided to request a full refund.  After I completed my online refund request a new screen came up which said "We received your submission. Please allow time for processing. Thank you for your patience and understanding".  Then within 5 minutes I also received an email confirmation from Carnival titled "Online Submission received"  with the following text "Thank for you making your online selection. This email acknowledgment confirms that your request has been submitted.....".  I read a previous post where someone said they did not receive any sort of confirmation from Carnival so thought it would be helpful to post my recent experience.  I am hoping to receive my full refund within a couple weeks. I look forward to cruising again soon hopefully in 2021.  

We had a fully paid October cruise on the Freedom, got our taxes and port fees back within4-5 days of them cancelling. Rest came about 10-14 days later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our October 17th cruise was canceled.  I handled the bookings for 7 cabins in our group.  I called last Monday, 24th and transferred the funds for 5 of the cabins to new bookings in February.  I also canceled 2 cabins on the 24th and requested full refunds.  The refunds were in my bank account 4 days later on the 28th.  I did all of this by phone and did not use the online form that was initially sent to everybody.  I was also able to transfer our Cheers packages that we bought at 20% off to the new bookings.  

It seems from this website & others, that your refund timing depends a bunch on how you booked your cruise.  We were booked for May 7 & 11 B2B.  Our refunds took about 4-5 weeks, but got full refunds.  We had booked through a PVP. but I've heard horror stories from those who booked through discount type agencies.

So confused. Requested our refund on 8/5 for a cruise on 10/31 (which I had moved to this date from my cancelled cruise on 4/4) we received about 1/3 back 3 days later. Nothing since then. Not even sure where they came up with the amount they refunded. I will try getting hold of them tomorrow.

Well it has been officially 7 weeks since my requested refund and I still haven't received anything yet.  So I decided to send an email to guest care and stated how quickly many people are getting their refunds.  I gave a timeline of 7 days on receipt of the email to refund my money or I will contact my lawyer and the police because it's starting to look like theft and credit card fraud.  I still doubt they will comply and will probably just shrug it off.  Oh well, it was fun to write the email though. LOL

On 9/4/2020 at 2:22 PM, Saint Greg said:

My gift card refund for my canceled Feb 2021 Breeze cruise came on Tuesday. I believe they canceled that one early July.

Did you get a physical card or an eCard emailed to you?

I've received nothing from my 1/31 Breeze cancellation.

I did not request a refund but I did purchase Cruise Cash when it was on sale and used Gift Cards for the purchase.  My TA posted online that people were receiving eCards for the refunds rather than physical cards.

4 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Did you get a physical card or an eCard emailed to you?

I've received nothing from my 1/31 Breeze cancellation.

I did not request a refund but I did purchase Cruise Cash when it was on sale and used Gift Cards for the purchase.  My TA posted online that people were receiving eCards for the refunds rather than physical cards.

I received a physical gift card delivered by FedEx for this one...which I booked directly through Carnival. Now my Magic cruise which was booked through a TA and canceled late June....they emailed me a gift card like 2 weeks ago.

Cruise cash, cheers, internet for both cruises were refunded by gift cards a few weeks earlier. Physical cards delivered by FedEx.

Edited by Saint Greg

Cancelled my cruise in March (was supposed to sail this past August).  Costco refunded all but $423.94 which apparently is the commission (refund went through in late June).  We have called 5x at this point, and they promised it would be refunded this past week.  Still nothing.  Get to call again next week.  I'm beyond frustrated.  

Edited by simkoreb

Saint Greg - interesting.  I'll check with my cruise pals to see if they have received any refunds for the gift card purchases since we were sailing together.  I wonder if my TA was able to have them just transfer over the purchased Cruise Cash.  I had asked her if that was possible.  Since I bought them with discounted Gift Cards and paid less than face value, it made sense to have that transferred rather than refunded to keep the savings intact.

I know there are lots of folks out there that don't want the cruise lines keeping their funds, but I figure that if I can't live without a few hundred $$s for a while, maybe I shouldn't be planning any vacations at all.  As it is I have EIGHT cruises booked between January 2021 and Feb 2022.  Got to make up for the ones I didn't get to take this year. 😄

I canceled my cruise on 7/27.  Mine is a bit complicated because I used two different credit cards and gift cards. I got my American Express refund on Sept 3, Citibank refund on Sept 4 and still waiting on my Gift Card refund.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:15 PM, 1949cruiser said:

My October cruise was also cancelled. I requested a refund on 8/5 and it was in my credit card account on 8/20. Very quick processing.

Wow!!! You call 15 days to reverse a credit card charge "very quick."  Boy the cruise company has you trained well.  

7 hours ago, ano said:

Wow!!! You call 15 days to reverse a credit card charge "very quick."  Boy the cruise company has you trained well.  

Considering the fact that every cruise canceled had thousands of passengers and that Carnival had 27 ships sailing for that date, yes 15 days is very quick processing.