'Devastating' investigation of COVID-19 outbreak on July cruises

icepeople

‘DEVASTATING’ INVESTIGATION OF COVID-19 OUTBREAK ON ROALD AMUNDSEN:

A formal investigation of the COVID-19 outbreak on Hurtigruten’s Roald Amundsen during two one-week voyages in Svalbard this summer adds more findings described as “devastating” to an already long list of violations and questionable decisions, including crew members sick with COVID-19 who went unreported ten days before the outbreak was reported to authorities July 31.

Most of the infections happened during the second voyage, but the investigation by the Norwegian Maritime Directorate states crew members aboard the first voyage were so sick they were treated in the ship’s ward on July 21, according to the Norwegian Maritime Directorate's investigation. Their treatment was not logged and officials were not notified.

The investigation’s findings were released two days after Norwegian Minister of Health Bent Høie said there were multiple Hurtigruten sailings since February where people infected with COVID-19 were not properly reported, including a Belgium man in his 70s who subsequently died. Høie said neither his ministry nor the Norwegian Institute of Public Health knew about the earlier cases until they read about them in the media late last week – and are contrary to Hurtigruten’s statements after the July cruises no such cases were known on any previous cruises.

http://icepeople.net/2020/09/02/devastating-investigation-roald-amundsen-doctors-treated-sick-crew-who-had-covid-19-on-july-21-ten-days-before-hurtigruten-reported-first-known-cases-to-officials/

Skjermbilde 2020-09-02 kl. 20.13.47.png

1 hour ago, clo said:

Curious. After the blue link is the rest of it your own writing or a quote. If a quote, please provide the link. TIA.

I wrote the article, which is also the text of the post I wrote. So it didn't occur to me. But will clarify in the future (I don't see an edit option now since it's been up for a bit already).

5 minutes ago, icepeople said:

I wrote the article, which is also the text of the post I wrote. So it didn't occur to me. But will clarify in the future (I don't see an edit option now since it's been up for a bit already).

So you're a professional news reporter. Okay thanks. You seem to not be real keen about Hurtigruten so I wondered. (BTW we've cruised with them twice, coastal cruise and Antarctica, and am pretty disappointed with how they've seemingly handled this. After two fantastic cruise experiences.) Thanks for your reply.

I'm not keen or hostile about Hurtigruten (have been on their ferries along mainland Norway several times and it's my favorite way to travel down there). The "devastating" characterization is, as mentioned, is from another linked source (the NRK report). And it is entirely factual to state this is a major scandal for the company, based on the near-universal statements and reports from many, many sources during my extensive reporting of this. I edit/publish this newspaper in Svalbard and have for nearly 13 years, so I'm also beyond familiar with the extreme measures to prevent COVID-19 here, even compared to the obvious extremes most places.

I've also written many articles more "favorable" to Hurtigruten, including one I'm working on now adding the "Minute By Minute" slow TV broadcast in February of a cruise by them here to a "12 best movies and TV shows about Svalbard" listicle (based largely on a lot of input from locals, who tend to have differing and more complete views than outsiders).

Edited by icepeople

Since I take being labeled as biased rather seriously (I've been a journalist for nearly 35 years at publications very large and small worldwide and, yes, some of us still care very much about that), here's a few "positive" headlines and links to articles I've written about Hurtigruten the past couple of years (including the first one about passengers describing their experience on a ship here placed in quarantine during the COVID-19 incident).

‘GREAT JOB – YOU DID WELL’: This 5-year-old and other locals upbeat about virus-free trip after being kept aboard Hurtigruten’s Spitsbergen due to COVID-19 concerns

DAWN (AT MIDNIGHT) OF A NEW HYBRID FERRY ERA: Hurtigruten’s new battery-powered ship makes first stop in Longyearbyen overnight under sunny skies

AHOY! FREE NINE-DAY CRUISE-OF-THE-CENTURY NOW DEPARTING: NRK’s ‘Minute-By-Minute’ features non-stop TV/online virtual voyage around archipelago starting Friday

I am really baffled by Hurtengruten on this one.  We have sailed with them twice and find their total disregard for crew and passenger safety (not to mention Svalbard residents) appalling.  We are considering canceling our June cruise with them at this point.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:39 AM, KirkNC said:

I am really baffled by Hurtengruten on this one.  We have sailed with them twice and find their total disregard for crew and passenger safety (not to mention Svalbard residents) appalling.  We are considering canceling our June cruise with them at this point.

While it is baffling in the days of COVID, it is not inconsistent with cruise line behavior prior to COVID.  Cruise lines, even in the early days of COVID have not been the most transparent when it comes to illness on board. They have demonstrated the view that if they can get through a cruise and get it off of the ship it is not their problem.

One would hope that they have changed their ways, but maybe not.

Since I take being labeled as biased rather seriously (I've been a journalist for nearly 35 years at publications very large and small worldwide and, yes, some of us still care very much about that), here's a few "positive" headlines and links to articles I've written about Hurtigruten the past couple of years (including the first one about passengers describing their experience on a ship here placed in quarantine during the COVID-19 incident).

‘GREAT JOB – YOU DID WELL’: This 5-year-old and other locals upbeat about virus-free trip after being kept aboard Hurtigruten’s Spitsbergen due to COVID-19 concerns

DAWN (AT MIDNIGHT) OF A NEW HYBRID FERRY ERA: Hurtigruten’s new battery-powered ship makes first stop in Longyearbyen overnight under sunny skies

AHOY! FREE NINE-DAY CRUISE-OF-THE-CENTURY NOW DEPARTING: NRK’s ‘Minute-By-Minute’ features non-stop TV/online virtual voyage around archipelago starting Friday

I greatly appreciate your occasional posting here, particularly the insights you have provided about the recent COVID-19 drama on Hurtigruten. I selfishly hope the situation will evolve in a way that allows me and my friends to take a planned trip on Hurtigruten in 2022, and I look forward to more of your reporting. I don’t believe the cruise industry nor any company within the industry is “evil”, but clearly every company has decision makers setting policy and directing operations, and some such individuals are motivated more by greed than by concern for clients. That sort of business model will quickly be shown to be fatally flawed.

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums